Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done it? Any advice and thoughts? I have been reading too many notes about how the Touareg may not be the best for towing heavy items like a horse trailer, but the specs look like it should.

I am in california so I cannot get the V10 here.

· Registered
68 Posts
Horse Float

brett603,

I havent been able to test drive the treg with a load myself yet. But i have been in a v8treg with a 2 horse float.

With a factory fitted tow hitch you should be fine. Im not sure why ppl think towing heavy loads in a treg is a bad idea???!!!

Good engine, susp, a rigid body with a reasonable center of gravity.

The only bad part was the 2 horses we had on board were a tad excited by the end of the 4 hour trip.

T

· Registered
68 Posts
Horse Float

Brett,

Yep i would recommend it. Iv towed horses in a Landcruiser/lexus/RangRover all with V8's, personally i would take the treg any day due to the fact it has a brilliant engine which makes the open roads a breeze. I also found the Trans(auto) on the treg complains less whilst under load in reverse.

when backing up to holding yards we wacked it into 4wdlow which allows it to crawl along without excessive shuddering/jerking.

T

· Registered
121 Posts
I've towed a thoroughbred 3 year old in an older steel 2 hourse trailer with tack room. The trailer empty is over 3000 Lbs. I have a V8 with air suspension and VW hitch. It was great. I've pulled that trailer with a ford f150 V8 (displ ??) and a GMC 1500 350cid .The Touareg was far better. The air suspension was great and impressive to anyone watching. I used tip for the tranni some to keep shifting down some but even that was no big deal when I forgot.
Pic is of a Old Ford diesel tractor. The wheels were weighted (each about 800 lbs.) I possitioned it a little too far forward so tongue weight was too much- But look at the car level

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Been towing a horse trailer (2 horse aluminum/steel - no DR) since Spring 04 with Touareg V8. Air suspension is great - the load levels out as soon as hitch is attached. I do not use WD hitch, as 1) there does not seem any need for it, and 2) I cannot confirm whether it should be used on the Touareg, get conflicting stories from VW. But I have towed the trailer up to 1 1/2 hours on highway (with hills) - being passed on both sides by tractor trailers - and felt no sway at all! I am a conservative trailer driver, that is precious cargo back there. I have to watch my speed carefully, the Touareg is so powerful. Get your lights/ brake controller set up, and you'll be ready to go. My trailer weighs 2500 lbs, horse 1200, all my stuff another 300 - so total weight well within GVW limits. I only haul one horse, don't plan to haul 2, just feel better staying well below the GVW limits. I have the dealer installed hitch. Trailer dealer installed brake controller in Touareg - VW dealer had to work with Touareg software so that it could 'read' trailer lights - sorry, I am definitely not technical - but between trailer and VW dealer, they figured it all out.

· Registered
3 Posts
Been towing a horse trailer (2 horse aluminum/steel - no DR) since Spring 04 with Touareg V8. Air suspension is great - the load levels out as soon as hitch is attached. I do not use WD hitch, as 1) there does not seem any need for it, and 2) I cannot confirm whether it should be used on the Touareg, get conflicting stories from VW. But I have towed the trailer up to 1 1/2 hours on highway (with hills) - being passed on both sides by tractor trailers - and felt no sway at all! I am a conservative trailer driver, that is precious cargo back there. I have to watch my speed carefully, the Touareg is so powerful. Get your lights/ brake controller set up, and you'll be ready to go. My trailer weighs 2500 lbs, horse 1200, all my stuff another 300 - so total weight well within GVW limits. I only haul one horse, don't plan to haul 2, just feel better staying well below the GVW limits. I have the dealer installed hitch. Trailer dealer installed brake controller in Touareg - VW dealer had to work with Touareg software so that it could 'read' trailer lights - sorry, I am definitely not technical - but between trailer and VW dealer, they figured it all out.

· Registered
121 Posts
All of you are nuts!

See my posts in "General Topics" / "Anything Auto" under "What do your have in your garage"...

I love my T-Reg, but it is not made to tow anything meaningful. Someone asked why they think it's a bad idea? :confused2:

You've have all shown examples and stated what it says in the owners manual. Whoopie...the diesel has a ga-zillion foot pounds of torque, that doesn't make it a good tow vehicle. People are relying on the load leveling of the air suspension! Just because its level doesn't mean it is okay. The wheel-base is very short, which is inheriently less stable.

Well, by the questions asked, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Hell, nobody even adresses the type and number of trailer brakes! It varies by state. What about tire load ratings? How about hitch type and ball / reciever ratings?

Keep your T-reg and get a good truck, bigger is better. Why? It's body on frame construction. Check the load rating on your tires and the trailer tires. Get the highest rating on all your towing equipment, the hitch, reciever, ball...everything. Get electric trailer brakes on all the axles. Avoid hydrallic and surge brakes. Make sure there is a braking fail safe that automaticly engages the trailer brakes should it become un-coupled from the tow vehicle. Get load leveling hitch options and sway control. My point is you need to over-engineer the system on the vehicle and the trailer.

If you insist on towing with a T-Reg, please over-engineer the system. Just because it says it can do something doesn't mean it is okay to do. Think of it this way... how much weight can you bench press a single time, one rep, the max weight? Now, what weight can you do 3 sets of 12 repetitions?

I have lots of miles towing, it appears more than any of you. I'll be on the look-out so I can avoid any of you on the road. ;-)

This is not intend to upset or tick-off anybody, just my opinion.

· Registered
68 Posts
Re: All of you are nuts........ .......

Bhbarr:

Thankyou, We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

For the record: YES I AM NUTS. :wave:

The brakes on the Treg are MORE than up to towing 3500kg with downball of 140. Anyone with a trailer that big is "usually" :confused2: gona have brakes on the trailer. In Western Austaralia trailers with that sort of capacity have to meet ADR's(design Rules). The ADR's ensure the trailer has brakes and that the vehicle its being towed by can do so in a safe manner, your also restricted in speed limits(MAX100kph)

For the record if your vehicle is capable of towing 3500kg your tire choice or the original tyre on the vehicle is of the applicable standard.(They are in Australia, cant be registered without it - cant comment on the rest of the world)

Yes, the Treg has a short wheel base compaired with a F250, 350 or dodge etc, But it is capable and depending on where you intend towing your trailer may actually be BETTER than a long wheel base vehicle.
Short wheelbase vehicles are 100% better offroad than a long wheelbase tank.

Pick your "application" and your "needs". IF you need to tow your horse or boat around your more than safe in doing so.

If i wanted a HUMMER or 4x4 Tank i'd have made that choice as would most of the others here.

IMHO :wave:

· Registered
121 Posts
You missed the point...and I disagree wtih several of yours.

That's why there is vanilla and chocolate.

Good luck and I doubt we'll ever cross paths on the road... you in Austraila and my in the States.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the posts, as usual now I am totally confused. For the little towing I am doing I still think the Touareg is a good choice. Thank to BBarr, now I need to make sure I have the properly fitted horse trailer.

By the way the typical length of a trip we would sue this for is about 100 miles.

Am I making a bad choice?

· Registered
68 Posts
Choice

oooohhh DO'H.

Brett603:

Am I making a bad choice?
Im about to need therapy on this subject.

Most of the points "Bhbarr" has made are 100% CORRECT.

BUT(Theirs always a BUT)

YES you can and are perfectly SAFE in using your Treg to tow your horse. Get a properly fitted towing pack, stabiliser, PROPER brakes on your trailer and ensure your trailer is chained to your car correctly.

I only disagree with Bhbarr on his application and logic behind it all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.