Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have read quite a number of threads about the horrors of fitting a towbar and brake controller to a Treg. Can anybody in Melbourne recommend where to get one properly installed for a 2010 V6 TDI? I don't want to get ripped off but at the same time, it needs to be done properly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tow bar

No sure if this helps but I just had a tow bar fitted to a new V6 , VW quoted $2000 but I got one in Sydney Bars & Racks Brookvale, a Hayman Reese completely fitted for $1424

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
No sure if this helps but I just had a tow bar fitted to a new V6 , VW quoted $2000 but I got one in Sydney Bars & Racks Brookvale, a Hayman Reese completely fitted for $1424
Be careful with the HR bar, as I believe they do not include the factory designed recovery points. If you ever intend to go off road the loss of these will seriously compromise your capabilities. Have a look at an HR bar fitted to a Touareg and open the recover caps. The last time I did this on a car in a dealers yard it was missing the anchor points.

Stuart...

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
I went to Hardings Caravan Repair in Colchester Rd Bayswater to install 12 pin plug, great job, they may do towbars....
How did they fit the trailer plug? Did they use the genuine VW trailer module? I am not selling VW gear but using an aftermarket unit does away with quite a few safety features, such as ESP extended to allow for the trailer, ABS calibration for towing, and several other nice functions. I swapped out a non-OEM when I found out what I was missing.

Stuart...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The car already had a VW-fitted 7 pin plug and towbar, I needed the 12v power from a 12 pin for the fridge in my van. They also fitted a brake controller.
The only thing not mentioned above is that VW do not recommend using WDH on their cars and HR discourage using their WDH on VW towbars. Worth thinking about if intending to tow a large van, see my thread re WDH and where to from here???

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,878 Posts
The car already had a VW-fitted 7 pin plug and towbar, I needed the 12v power from a 12 pin for the fridge in my van. They also fitted a brake controller.
The only thing not mentioned above is that VW do not recommend using WDH on their cars and HR discourage using their WDH on VW towbars. Worth thinking about if intending to tow a large van, see my thread re WDH and where to from here???
I think the discouragement is more for 'air suspension' vehicles, and HR are just being over cautious. See my response to your thread re EAZE-LIFT WDH bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.