Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just recently bought a 08/2003 V8 7L Touareg, I want to get a towbar installed but all of the retailers are telling me that they can only get/install towbars on cars with a build date of September 2003 on, and they are refusing to install on my August built car.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,

Greg.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you asked why. I think you need to talk to VW and find out if there is a legal reason why, or is it a supply problem as far as I know hayman reese can fit a bar to just about anything
Colin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told by 3 different fitters now that because the part is quoted for a car date September 2003 and on, their insurance will not be valid if they install on a car with a build plate of August 2003.

I spoke to the dealer and as far as they are concerned the car is a "MY04" so they don't see the issue.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I might be off on the reason, but the only thing that does come to mind was that early gen Treg's had issues with hitch bolts. VW switched to higher strength bolts to solve this (sometime in MY 04' if I remember right). The newer bolt was actually smaller diameter, but a higher strength. Because of this VW had a kit that would allow MY 04' to be converted to the newer bolts. The "kit" consisted of a strange bolt sleeve (probably has a proper name) that was to be the size difference from old to new. I recall reading about an instance where this "sleeve" (for lack of a better name) was stripped and resulted in some issues during installation (from reading on an airstream web site) some years back.

You might do a search for this if you want to learn more...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good luck getting your towbar fitted.

In the meantime, if you haven't seen it do read the buying a used Touareg thread - link in my signature. You'll learn a lot and probably save money later too.

Key thing on an early V8 is knowing for certain the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat have been changed every 80,000 miles [do your own kms conversion!] or 5 years, whichever comes first. If the belt lets go, the engine is knackered.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi
I had a (OEM) towbar fitted to my June 2003 build cayenne after I bought it second hand, no problems (apart from the cost).
I've been towing with it for 10 years! All the parts and the control module are branded "VW".
I went OEM because at the time (2006 ish) no one was doing aftermarket tow bar.
Having said that, go with the OEM control module, it does some very important things to the car when a trailer is attached.
Cheers
DS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts