Club Touareg Forum banner

tow package removal?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  r259 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a factory tow package on my truck which I don't need. Question is how difficult is it to remove....or.... is it not possible to remove? I would imagine if it can be removed a replacement (black plastic) fascia would be available to replace the existing one which has a cutout for the towing components?

#2 ·
There isn't a different rear bumper for tow / non-tow vehicles. The receiver on the factory package is below the bumper. If you have something cut into your bumper, it's non-factory.

The only thing you would be saving would be ~75lbs of weight. And, unless you re-installed the bolts, you would be opening the chassis up to rust. The hitch package is bolted directly to the uni-body.

GL - My advise would be to leave it alone.

#3 ·
The only thing you would be saving would be ~75lbs of weight. And, unless you re-installed the bolts, you would be opening the chassis up to rust. The hitch package is bolted directly to the uni-body.
Actually there would be no real weight saving at all as the rear hitch is a modified crash bar which is substituted during hitch installation. If you remove the hitch then you must replace the crash bar. Net weight saving is the 50mm receiver only ...maybe 5 lbs , if that!

#4 ·
Don't do it. Lowers the resale value. Unless, you intend to drive it into the ground over decades, then go for it. It will cost almost as much as installing hitch to remove it, you will need the rear bumper beam to replace the hitch.$$$. You'll get some money back selling the hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.