• Useful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Useful

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I designed and built a Hitch receiver that can be mounted through tow hooks. Receiver is 2". Look at the pictures to get an idea. I did not test it for towing, and using it will be at your own risk. However it might be suitable for Class I towing capacity. It will also work with any bike rack. $469 or best offer!

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses guys. Unfortunately have not tested it yet. It is attached with special cut M18 bolts so definitely will hold 200 Lbs tongue weight or even more. I will try to make some videos with myself (195 lbs) standing/jumping on it. I tried to shake the whole rear of my Cayenne and it is very solid. If anyone is in Long island you are welcome to test fit it for free.

· Registered
710 Posts
I'll give you points for bravery, however when the trailer becomes detached and spears into and kills some little kid,
How will you justify making this dodgy device to the grieving parents?

Seriously, we can get an approved and rated towbar fitted for $700

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Think this is a really cool idea and a cool design. Very clever. That said I would worry about liability if something goes wrong. The factory hitch support with out hitch is nothing (and I do mean nothing) like the factory tow receiver that replaces the entire assembly and with stronger bolts to mount). I have removed and installed both, and speak from what I have seen and felt. I realize these bolt sockets are rated for vehicle recovery, but not for the other stresses that come from towing. No idea, but even the repetitive motions from a small trailer may warp the metal cross support over time, heck I wouldn't be surprised if a hard recovery warped the basic metal number support (model with out factory hitch).

The weak point here is likely the factory bumper support, which was never intended to be used in this way.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
I can already see it flex when standing on the hitch.

Now, attach a tow ball and jump on that. It will flex even more due to leverage.

I think the dynamic loads while driving will be way more than what 200lbs jumping up and down on it will do.

Just pony up the $$ for a factory hitch or an aftermarket hitch that mounts to the factory mounting brackets. A quickie google search shows several aftermarket brand name hitches for less than 1/2 of what you're asking for this contraption.

X2 what Speigelglatt said. Those tow hooks are designed to pull the vehicle up onto a wrecker. They were never designed to be used in that manner.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for responses. Agree with all your points.

I designed this hitch with an idea for a bike rack not for heavy towing. The construction came out pretty strong so it may pass for occasional light towing (Class 1 load or less - maybe a jet ski?). And definitely will hold 2-3 bikes easily.
The flex that you see comes from parallel beams and actually smooths out the overload on breaking. I also have a bumper reinforcement part out to look at. That part is pretty strong, not as heavy as factory hitch of course.

Also in my neck of 'cayenne' woods factory installed hitch is $2000, Touareg is cheaper but we know it is the same part.

Anyway thanks for responses, my purpose was to get your opinions not actual sale. I enjoyed the project and happy with the result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.