Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, sounds like you are thoroughly set with your van and that’s great,it took us long enough to get there with our weight distribution, pretty close to perfect now.
Don’t believe I’m paranoid about van weights , just like to know it’s both legal and tows as best as it can.
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, sounds like you are thoroughly set with your van and that’s great,it took us long enough to get there with our weight distribution, pretty close to perfect now.
Don’t believe I’m paranoid about van weights , just like to know it’s both legal and tows as best as it can.
Cheers,
Mick.
I absolutely agree Mick.
There are too many people out there who don’t know or don’t care.
I’m glad you’ve got yours sorted, they can be a bit tricky.
I appreciate your concern.
Thank you. Brett

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for your reply, interesting to know whether you have air suspension on your Touareg and wouldn’t there be problems when towing with weight distribution type hitch while air suspension operational?
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Working on getting the Touareg ready to tow our new van when it is built.
The van manufacturer recommends the tow bar height for their van as 450mm to the base of the hitch pin.
I have a VW tow bar installed and with the R Line suspension set to Normal the base of the hitch pin is 360mm from the ground.
If I turn the tongue up side down the base of the hitch pin is 425mm from the ground, I have seen DO35 Hitch Pins with a taller base which will probably get me to the 450mm required.

Is there a mechanical reason why I should not turn the tongue up side down, don't want cause a failure of the tongue ?

Kym View attachment 236205
View attachment 236206
Kym in my experience either way is OK, I have a sparewheel carrier on the back and had to turn it over to fit under the tyre, the air suspension does a good job of levelling anyway

·
Registered
85 Posts
Armdlo,
May I see a photo of your spare wheel carrier ?
I have a carrier which has proven too bulky and not very pretty so I’d like a few ideas what to change to?
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tow a 2.7T van with a mild WDH on air suspensioned 2013 V8tdi R-Line. Tow's beautifully. Wouldn't travel without a mild WDH. I use an Anderson Hitch. Love it. Really easy to use and once setup, works fantastic. I've travelled about 10,000km's and hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tow a 2.7T van with a mild WDH on air suspensioned 2013 V8tdi R-Line. Tow's beautifully. Wouldn't travel without a mild WDH. I use an Anderson Hitch. Love it. Really easy to use and once setup, works fantastic. I've travelled about 10,000km's and hasn't missed a beat.
Snerlo,
Thanks for your views,I’m glad you’re comfortable with your arrangement, having traveled enough to confirm your decision, that’s great.
I have difficulty considering the combination of air suspension together with WDH , even with the Anderson hitch. I just will continue to work with what I’m content with being HR adjustable hitch connected to van without bars/ chains.
Just my choice, I revel in the ability to move about any site without the cumbersome bars/ chains.
Occasional porpoise action over humps is easily tolerated.
Each to their own!
I do prefer the air suspension to achieve its leveling without countering spring tensions,
We’d simply agree to disagree!
Cheers,
Mick.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts