Registered
2021 Wolfsburg V82008 TDI V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

My Wolfsburg arrived last Thursday and my first thoughts are;
very quite
smooth - better than r-line V6 I test drove.
goes like the * when you stick the boot in!

so many things to learn on how to use it.

Have not decided who I will use for the towbar instillation.
Also I'm on the look out for a spare 21in wheel, if any one has one (for CR) they want to sell please contact me.

Bruce

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
Hi

very quite

Also I'm on the look out for a spare 21in wheel, if any one has one (for CR) they want to sell please contact me.

Bruce
We just bought the same car. White Wolfsburg MY21 V8. Best car I have ever driven. Fantastic engineering. However, the VW fitted towbar via the dealer has done the usual in throwing errors so that we can't use ACC cruise control and related functions. New electronics module en route apparently from Germany to fix the problem. Am really puzzled how such a brilliant car that has had so much thought and time put into it, can't fix an electronic incompatibility with the towbar that has been around for years. Our 2017 Adventure had the same initial problem when we bought it new (all good now though).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes Agronomy, you are quire right to think like this. Why can't one order the car from factory with tow bar fitted, coded and ready to go - meeting the factory quality standards? In addition, where the car is assembled in a clinical factory environment, quite often the Australian VW dealership outsources the fitting job to a local tow bar shop. Often the personnel in the tow bar shop are not aligned to the quality control standards as expected ex-factory and the odd mark here or there on the car with removal of the rear plastic cover and refitting and poor quality cable installation is common place. Let alone the coding - many on the forum here have driven off experiencing the same issues with other things not working following a local tow bar fitting.

Tell more about the Wollfsburg though please.

Reactions: agronomy

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
Yes Agronomy, you are quire right to think like this. Why can't one order the car from factory with tow bar fitted, coded and ready to go - meeting the factory quality standards? In addition, where the car is assembled in a clinical factory environment, quite often the Australian VW dealership outsources the fitting job to a local tow bar shop. Often the personnel in the tow bar shop are not aligned to the quality control standards as expected ex-factory and the odd mark here or there on the car with removal of the rear plastic cover and refitting and poor quality cable installation is common place. Let alone the coding - many on the forum here have driven off experiencing the same issues with other things not working following a local tow bar fitting.

Tell more about the Wollfsburg though please.
It's early days to give a detailed report on the MY21 V8 Touareg Wolfsburg. As mentioned earlier, it is the best car I've ever driven or been in. Such brilliant engineering, so quiet, so powerful yet you can drive it sublimely so that no one can hear or know the lion that is waiting to be set free. Ignoring the unbelievable problems that still exist with fitting a towbar kit to the car (sigh), everything about the car is better than my much loved V6 Adventure MY17. That car has been superb and runs better than ever. Purrs. Smooth. Reliable. Brilliant. However, my new addition has everything at another level of superbness. Even the radio reception is a quantum leap better. It will take me ages to get to know it and set it up to suit my wife and I to the level that it does allow anyone to do so. It oozes refinement. So quiet, smoothe and powerful. I cannot wait to take our caravan for a trip with the car at the helm. I reckon it wouldn't even take a bigger breathe. I do think this V8 MY21 will be a legend and we'll be screaming at VW to restart the production line. If you get a chance to drive someones, do so. I'll do a more detailed review in a month or three when I know this car more fully. Easily the best car VW have ever made. It is its flagship model. Unbelievable they are not making them with this engine anymore. So sad.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,520 Posts
Congratulations @agronomy

We should look at organising another get together soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

very quite

Bruce
Hi Bruce, I to got an 310 Wolfsburg ordered with tow bar but the dealer refunded me on pick of the vehicle as they could not supply also tried hayman Reese but they have suspended there installation for these vehicles. Have you had any luck so far if so what and where.

regards
Harry8
310 TDI wolfsburg 2021

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just bought the same car. White Wolfsburg MY21 V8. Best car I have ever driven. Fantastic engineering. However, the VW fitted towbar via the dealer has done the usual in throwing errors so that we can't use ACC cruise control and related functions. New electronics module en route apparently from Germany to fix the problem. Am really puzzled how such a brilliant car that has had so much thought and time put into it, can't fix an electronic incompatibility with the towbar that has been around for years. Our 2017 Adventure had the same initial problem when we bought it new (all good now though).
Any luck on your fix I’m trying to a bar fitted and I’m getting knowhere..... very frustratin.:(

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
Any luck on your fix I’m trying to a bar fitted and I’m getting knowhere..... very frustratin.:(
Nope, not yet. Sounds like VW won't have a fix until the end of July, which might be September (the pessimist in me). Very frustrating because we need the car to tow our caravan and can't sell our old Touareg until the new one can tow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, not yet. Sounds like VW won't have a fix until the end of July, which might be September (the pessimist in me). Very frustrating because we need the car to tow our caravan and can't sell our old Touareg until the new one can tow.
Yep similar here, I wanted the v8 to tow our van in August been having this issue since April luckily we have the Amarok however the kids won’t like the back seat for long.
keep me posted please I’ll add more as I find out.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,795 Posts
Early August, rest depends on where you are in the queue

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Hi Bruce, I to got an 310 Wolfsburg ordered with tow bar but the dealer refunded me on pick of the vehicle as they could not supply also tried hayman Reese but they have suspended there installation for these vehicles. Have you had any luck so far if so what and where.

regards
Harry8
310 TDI wolfsburg 2021
HR realised they didn't have the proper module to fit the 2021

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
HR realised they didn't have the proper module to fit the 2021
How on earth did a car with such brilliant engineering and so much thought gone into, not have a working towbar? The only disappointing thing with this brilliant car.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
How on earth did a car with such brilliant engineering and so much thought gone into, not have a working towbar? The only disappointing thing with this brilliant car.
Fair call. The new modules in 2021 result in a different towing module, the towbar and wiring remain the same.
Brilliant car for sure, nothing like it... The headlights, 4 wheel steering, night vision, seats etc etc love it all..

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
Fair call. The new modules in 2021 result in a different towing module, the towbar and wiring remain the same.
Brilliant car for sure, nothing like it... The headlights, 4 wheel steering, night vision, seats etc etc love it all..
Received an email today from the dealer that the new towpack module has arrived and is ready to fit to our car. Yay. Will see if it all works very soon....

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Received an email today from the dealer that the new towpack module has arrived and is ready to fit to our car. Yay. Will see if it all works very soon....
Great, keep us posted, though as per my knowledge the MY21 module isn't available until late July/Aug so you have me surprised.
worth double, triple checking with the dealer that it is my 21 compatible.
Am interstate so won't be able to get to it until late july anyway

Reactions: agronomy

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
31 Posts
That's good news. i've had the VW towbar and module etc on order at Canberra VW since 27 April. Probably June I was told; hello July tomorrow :(. Meanwhile the old Fairlane tow car has to stay put. I can't imagine how different towing is going to be.

ps one thing that sold me on the dealer stock 210 Wolfsburg we bought was it did not have a sunroof. That's 100 kg that doesn't chew into the GVM but more particularly about 50kg less on the rear axle max load which I expect will be the limiting factor towing, at least with much more than a carefully folded toothbrush in the back. I'll be getting a detailed weigh done ASAP so I know exactly where I stand re the limits.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
That's good news. i've had the VW towbar and module etc on order at Canberra VW since 27 April. Probably June I was told; hello July tomorrow :(. Meanwhile the old Fairlane tow car has to stay put. I can't imagine how different towing is going to be.

ps one thing that sold me on the dealer stock 210 Wolfsburg we bought was it did not have a sunroof. That's 100 kg that doesn't chew into the GVM but more particularly about 50kg less on the rear axle max load which I expect will be the limiting factor towing, at least with much more than a carefully folded toothbrush in the back. I'll be getting a detailed weigh done ASAP so I know exactly where I stand re the limits.
Interestingly, from VW perspective having a sunroof or not doesn't impact the weight of the Touareg or the ball weight.
Or have I missed this in the specs?
I am aware the cr roof is all aluminium

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interestingly, from VW perspective having a sunroof or not doesn't impact the weight of the Touareg or the ball weight.
Or have I missed this in the specs?
I am aware the cr roof is all aluminium
The roof weight was confirmed to me by the dealer after reference to VW Australia while we were deciding on the car.

The presence or absence of the pano roof doesn't affect the owner's manual specified limits for GVM, GCM. towball max download or max rear axle load. But it does affect the tare weight of the vehicle and a pano equipped CR will have a higher unloaded rear axle load than a non-pano and thus a lower margin for payload in the back or on the towball. The weight of the pano is s no different really than carrying the max load on the roofbars, part of which will contribute to load on the rear axle and could (repeat could, I don't yet know the margins until I weigh mine) limit the tow ball download to less than the 230kg max to keep you under the rear axle limit, while carrying only small payloads. It's also worth noting that every kilo on the towball is about 1,7 kg on the rear axle due to the lever effect of the towball overhang (which is not as bad as many popular tow vehicles). That means to be able to carry the full 230kg on the towball, you need about 390kg margin on the rear axle before you hook up the van and with the vehicle fully loaded with everything else. Don't take that 1.7 as gospel - I've lost the diagram that shows the overhang for a VW fit and I'm working from memory.

Just some rough guesstimates: for a 210TDI Wolfburg without the optional pano at advertised tare weight 2169kg, say 60/40 front that's 868kg on the rear axle or 612kg margin to the 1480kg rear axle weight limit, with minimal fuel (10l I think is the standard figure for tare) and nothing else in the car. Put 230kg on the towball, or about 390 on the axle leaves you 222kg for the proportion of driver, passenger, fuel, and luggage that goes on the rear axle. I think it will be fairly limiting, but I knew that and my current van is only 206kg max on the ball and if we ever upsize, actual towball load will be the first question!

So IMO with the towing weight enforcement regime spreading through Australia, plus of course insurance liability, it's essential to know what is most limiting for your configured CR, whether that is the 230kg on the ball, or the rear axle limit. And I personally decided I'd rather give up the pano and have an extra 50 odd kg on the rear axle to play with. Fortunately some van manufacturers, eg New Age (Walkinshaw) are building vans with sane towball loads rather than slavishly sticking to 'it's gotta be at least 10% ', or about double what they run in Europe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Regarding the tow ball weight effect on the rear axle load. The formula is divide the distance from the centre of the rear axle to the centre of the tow ball by the wheelbase. Then take this fraction of the total tow ball weight and add it too original tow ball weight. This will give the weight down on the rear axle. In the case of my 2021 cr the lever effect adds approx 40%more. Therefore my 200 kg tow ball weight will add approx 280 kg on the rear axle. Understandably therefore the front axle load decreases by this 80 kg. Regards Garry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Regarding the tow ball weight effect on the rear axle load. The formula is divide the distance from the centre of the rear axle to the centre of the tow ball by the wheelbase. Then take this fraction of the total tow ball weight and add it too original tow ball weight. This will give the weight down on the rear axle. In the case of my 2021 cr the lever effect adds approx 40%more. Therefore my 200 kg tow ball weight will add approx 280 kg on the rear axle. Understandably therefore the front axle load decreases by this 80 kg. Regards Garry
That's excellent! The ball must be closer to the rear axle than I recalled. I saw a really detailed dimensioned drawing of the towbar installation, probably part of an SSP document, but now can't find it :(

41 - 60 of 71 Posts