Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks Steve for clearing this up, I was never sure as the Ballarat dealership had no skilled personal at all, obviously a subbed out job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The VW Australia site refers you to the owners handbook for weights.
Best the OP formally request that info from his dealer.
Hi Guys, Just bought my Touareg 1 month ago with the idea to pull a caravan. Most wonderful machine I have had the pleasure to drive, bar none.
Im having (obviously) the same problems many of you have had in finding a way to get the car to be an ideal tow vehicle.
I am worried about not being able to buy a replacement mirror set to accommodate the van width. Threads advocate Milenco as being good. Having read the discussion on Tow bar & brake controller systems I''m expecting problems. Im álso trying to avoid the extra $1000 VW want above everyone else's prices too. I have also decided to get a set of 17"
rims so I can fit AT Tyres (Treg has 20" standard). Loving the problems and thought provoking situations the Treg has given me (so far)

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
312 Posts
@PeterGS

For a Touareg there is more to it than the physical tow bar. Be sure any quote you get includes the VW towing module and relevant harness.
the tow module and relevant programming of the vehicle management systems does the following:
  1. Disables side assist (blind spot warning - this uses part of the rear sensors) This function needs to be re-enabled again after towing.
  2. Disables Rear proximity sensors.
  3. Changes the behaviour of the rear-view camera (shows the trailer on the screen and switches off dynamic reversing guidelines)
  4. Disables the electric raising of the rear hatch (unlocks/pops hatch open but does not raise it preventing a clash with whatever is attached to the tow bar.)
  5. Triggers car alarm when the trailer plug is disconnected (If you have alarm)
  6. Disables engine Auto Start Stop
  7. Remaps gearbox for towing ? (I have not validated this)

·
Registered
3 Posts
@PeterGS

For a Touareg there is more to it than the physical tow bar. Be sure any quote you get includes the VW towing module and relevant harness.
the tow module and relevant programming of the vehicle management systems does the following:
  1. Disables side assist (blind spot warning - this uses part of the rear sensors) This function needs to be re-enabled again after towing.
  2. Disables Rear proximity sensors.
  3. Changes the behaviour of the rear-view camera (shows the trailer on the screen and switches off dynamic reversing guidelines)
  4. Disables the electric raising of the rear hatch (unlocks/pops hatch open but does not raise it preventing a clash with whatever is attached to the tow bar.)
  5. Triggers car alarm when the trailer plug is disconnected (If you have alarm)
  6. Disables engine Auto Start Stop
  7. Remaps gearbox for towing ? (I have not validated this)
Hi Grant, Many thanks for the heads up and the interest.
My Touareg is a 2016 TDI Silver180kw, Air Suspension, Corn Silk leather 20'' wheels. Love it.
I decided after reading all the threads on this and earlier (2010) threads to go with the VW dealer for the Tow Bar and harness. I have searched for a confidence inspiring "commercial" technician but they seem to be prepared to wing it but not much else.. I spoke to the Tech at the VW dealer (Wanneroo Road) and he was more than aware of all the pitfalls in the set up and assured me I would be problem free after the fitting. I also took his advice about where to have the Redarc 3 Brake Controller fitted as the sub contractor the VW dealer uses is very used to VW cars and the problems with the Treg in particular. (North Coast Auto Electrics) The dealer does not hold tow bars in stock so its ordered from Sydney and here in around a week. I am also buying a second hand set of wheels, 17"to fit AT tyres on and hopefully not put the speedo to far out of whack. Another new area for me to get into. Didn't know anything about total circumference before last week Just wish I had the spare cash to do it all !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi

I have just ordered a V8 Wolfsburg with delivery in late May.

Has any one got recomendations as to where (which dealer) has the skills to install a tow bar and get it correct first time?

I will also need a electric brake controller fitted, any one know a good place for this?

My 2008 TDI V6 I've had since new, ~ 330,000 km, the last 70,000 km with a "garden hose" tail shaft center bearing, still going strong.

regards
Bruce
Hi i bought a toureg and rang around VW at osbourne park wanted $600 hundred dollars .more than parkside towbar in osbourne park VW SPUN THE SALES LIES That if I had it fitted at parkside my warranty would be void
i discussed this with Parkside and they said all the bars and work they supply and do will not void warranties they are fully covered and they told me they fit bars etc on all makes of new vehicles dealers spin that lie so they can become the middle man and charge customers well above the actual cost but then get their bars etc fitted by the independent suppliers anyway and label them genuine
my towbar is as good as any with full tow rating and with REDARC brake controller all fitted professionally together with a rear mounted 12volt anderson socket with inline fuse from the toureg battery while they were at it for a small fee
cheers Baztreg iluka wa

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi i bought a toureg and rang around VW at osbourne park wanted $600 hundred dollars .more than parkside towbar in osbourne park VW SPUN THE SALES LIES That if I had it fitted at parkside my warranty would be void
i discussed this with Parkside and they said all the bars and work they supply and do will not void warranties they are fully covered and they told me they fit bars etc on all makes of new vehicles dealers spin that lie so they can become the middle man and charge customers well above the actual cost but then get their bars etc fitted by the independent suppliers anyway and label them genuine
my towbar is as good as any with full tow rating and with REDARC brake controller all fitted professionally together with a rear mounted 12volt anderson socket with inline fuse from the toureg battery while they were at it for a small fee
cheers Baztreg iluka wa
Of course what you say about cost is true. Problem is that the car systems computing is designed for the genuine towbar and may not perform equally. I am very satisfied with Ryan and his workers at Osborne Park. $600 in a $100k investment isn’t that much if it works better.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,387 Posts
Ryan is a good guy...been there a long time. Knew him when I was working there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Bruce,
I have had two Touaregs both fitted with tow bars and electrics and both done by Wangara Volkswagen. Then do a great job and know how to do it. Be warned DO NOT try and fit any other towbar other than a genuine Volkswagen one , for it is not just the tow hitch but the electronics that go with it that is important. A true VW one has a tow module fitted which tells the car that a trailer is connected when you hitch it up, and changes all kinds of settings in the vehicle when towing. If you fit for instance, an ARB tow hitsh it would not inclue the tow module and your vehilcle would not know if it were towing or not, Hope this helps. Regards Shane O;Connor.
Hello. I have just had a towbar fitted at my local VW dealership. Although the actual tow bar and electrics are working, they have not covered themselves in glory otherwise. First of all, the car wasn't ready at the arranged time, blame was given to the slowness on the internet when downloading the software onto the car (BS?).
When I picked up the car I immediately noticed that both rear wheel Arch Trims had been damaged, they must have pulled them off with force and broken off some pieces so that the trims no longer sit flush with the car body.
The next day I noticed that the cover plate inside the boot, the one that has the switches for back seat release and 12V outlet etc, has also been broken and does not attach properly anymore. Plastic clips are all broken, and some metal clips badly bent.
And then I found that the chrome scuff plate sticks up, the one that runs across the edge of the boot above the bumper.
I don't know what else was damaged in the process of installing that tow kit, but I am definitely not happy with their workmanship :mad:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Right, thanks for the feedback. I hippie give let them know about this and give them an opportunity to put it right, properly, not just a bodge job?

Get photos.

I would have thought a main dealer would put it right, even though it should have been done right first time around.

Pete.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello. I have just had a towbar fitted at VW Wangara. Although the actual tow bar and electrics are working, they have not covered themselves in glory otherwise. First of all, the car wasn't ready at the arranged time, blame was given to the slowness on the internet when downloading the software onto the car (BS?).
When I picked up the car I immediately noticed that both rear wheel Arch Trims had been damaged, they must have pulled them off with force and broken off some pieces so that the trims no longer sit flush with the car body.
The next day I noticed that the cover plate inside the boot, the one that has the switches for back seat release and 12V outlet etc, has also been broken and does not attach properly anymore. Plastic clips are all broken, and some metal clips badly bent.
And then I found that the chrome scuff plate sticks up, the one that runs across the edge of the boot above the bumper.
I don't know what else was damaged in the process of installing that tow kit, but I am definitely not happy with their workmanship :mad:
Hi
I had my toureg towbar fitted by parkside towbar at Osbourne pk they did an excellent neat job didnt damage any fittings or retainer clips they also fitted the required electronic module so it's compatible with the VW a system they charged $600 less than VW Osbourne pk quoted me and also fitted a heavy duty wiring from alternator to anderson plug on towbar so I can power my Caravan fridge while driving use it recently and it all functions really well and it does not void VW WARRANTY this fault imformation is been spread around but I have it in writing parkside towbar told me they fit towbar on a variety of brand new vehicle and are all covered by warranty for the dealers who then add their mark up to the buyers vehicle price
Cheers Baztreg

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
312 Posts
Bruce, sad to hear that the workmanship was not appropriate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course what you say about cost is true. Problem is that the car systems computing is designed for the genuine towbar and may not perform equally. I am very satisfied with Ryan and his workers at Osborne Park. $600 in a $100k investment isn’t that much if it works better.
The parkside towbar is designed and engineered for the toureg towing specification and rated for 3500kg and 250kg towball down weight
they supply the genuine electronic module to suit VW system and a REDARC towpro for electric brake controll all A1

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hello. I have just had a towbar fitted at my local VW dealership. Although the actual tow bar and electrics are working, they have not covered themselves in glory otherwise. First of all, the car wasn't ready at the arranged time, blame was given to the slowness on the internet when downloading the software onto the car (BS?).
Sorry you had to experience that Shane but not at all surprised. I had them deface my new car, complementary of coarse.
I avoid at all costs now and use O/P. They are much better and no complaints so far.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OP VW are good from my single occasion experience. Very happy with their R50 technician experience there. If anything serious needed again if I can't do it myself (and its covered under warranty) that's where I'll be going.

Pete.

Reactions: evaddirb

·
Registered
693 Posts
I fell lucky with my OEM tow kit for my 7L6 treg. It did not have a tow bar and I wanted one--it was on my shopping list and I knew the OEM ones were expensive. I started having battery problems so the car went for a 'sleep study' at the Rockhampton dealership overnight to see if all the systems shut down. Whilst I was there I asked about a towing kit and the service manager said I'm in luck. They ordered one for the 7P treg and VW sent a 7L6 one instead. It was in his way, he wanted rid so sold me it for about $700 with the controller, wiring, mounting kit, everything I could possibly need to make it work.
Came home, fitted it then worked with Ross-Tech to code all the relevant systems and its now been on for 9 years.
The 7P treg has one but it was incorrectly coded---though all sorted now.

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
54 Posts
Hi

I have just ordered a V8 Wolfsburg with delivery in late May.

Has any one got recomendations as to where (which dealer) has the skills to install a tow bar and get it correct first time?

I will also need a electric brake controller fitted, any one know a good place for this?

My 2008 TDI V6 I've had since new, ~ 330,000 km, the last 70,000 km with a "garden hose" tail shaft center bearing, still going strong.

regards
Bruce
It's a weird problem isn't it? My current Touareg was bought with the tow bar package, but the dealer couldn't get the electronics right - kept throwing up errors. They ended up paying an auto electrician off-site to fit it correctly. Now with my new 2021 V8 R-Line about to arrive, I am getting the towbar and electronics fitted after purchase.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's a weird problem isn't it? My current Touareg was bought with the tow bar package, but the dealer couldn't get the electronics right - kept throwing up errors. They ended up paying an auto electrician off-site to fit it correctly. Now with my new 2021 V8 R-Line about to arrive, I am getting the towbar and electronics fitted after purchase.
Saves the luxury tax too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saves the luxury tax too.
Hi,
Another sorry tale about VW Wangara. Had the Tow Bar & electrics fitted. I requested a 12 pin plug but was told they only fit 7 pin !! No problem with the job but it took 7.5 hours and I also got the explanation that the WiFi download from Germany was very slow that day. Maybe they are just slow.
Had the Redarc fitted & an Anderson plug elsewhere (Auto electrician who do all VWs work) and all good so far.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts