Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Wolfsburg V82008 TDI V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have just ordered a V8 Wolfsburg with delivery in late May.

Has any one got recomendations as to where (which dealer) has the skills to install a tow bar and get it correct first time?

I will also need a electric brake controller fitted, any one know a good place for this?

My 2008 TDI V6 I've had since new, ~ 330,000 km, the last 70,000 km with a "garden hose" tail shaft center bearing, still going strong.

regards
Bruce

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Bruce, welcome to CT, I presume this is a 2021 V8 Touareg? Wow. My brother in law bought a 2020 from Osborne Park VW and had a number of repeat visits to the outsourced tow hitch supplier/fitter they used so I would say not to go there. I don't recall the name of the fitting place. I thought VW were doing them factory fitted now?

There have been many people on here across Australia having their towbars fitted by VW Dealer outsourced so as to keep warranty - but still fitted by 'their' nearby fitting place and all with numerous issues. I've also yet to see one that has been fitted neatly and with care. Be sure to go over it after fitting with a microscope at the rear panel fit and also the state of the electrical installation at the battery under the driver foot area. You may also wish to have a think about which controller to get (I like the Redarc Tow Pro Elite for discrete installation but others indicate the Tekonsha P3 performs beter) and where to instruct the installer to place it.

By the way - I thought VW were now making a factory fit towbar an option now. Is that still not the case?

Pete.

·
Registered
2021 Wolfsburg V82008 TDI V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete

I have a Redarc Tow Pro Elite in my TDI V6. I assume the new cars don't have the tail under the dash for an EBC.

Two other things on the to do list once I get it are;
Aux battery and plug for caravan - probably a LiFePO4 in a battery box with a DC-DC charger. I don't think there will be any room under the rear floor for the batterry.
Full size spare - any one with a spare 21" rim?

Bruce

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
@bfry_

Suggest you make your location and Touareg model a part of your signature that way whenever you post anything everyone knows where in a country you're from and possibly the model you are talking about.

It's most annoying that most newbies seem to expect members to answer their questions without disclosing these general details.

TonyB

Reactions: Armdlo

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Bruce, sorry I am unsure if the wire tail is present under the dash for the EBC plug in. My feeling is it would be there as the harness is most likely to have this by default whichever market the car was heading to.

In Europe I believe the tow hitch is a factory option where in Aus for some silly reason it isn't (or wasn't). I thought it was now available at the VW dealer to select as an option at time of purchase.

Also my BIL had his hitch fitted and the Redarc as well fitted with no apparent challenges so it has been done (as well as many others on here). His installer put the Redarc control knob fitted in the blank panel behind the shifter - contrary to his wishes. Be very clear with whoever fits this that they put it where you want it - even get this in writing. My 7L and 7P I had the Redarc fitted and the knob I had placed in the upper right corner of the panel just above the main headlight rotary dial.

Also, will you be contemplating an Anderson plug for caravan connections?

Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
376 Posts
Strongly suggest that if you are buying from a dealer then use that same dealer to do the towbar install, and ALL necessary wiring.
If done aftermarket they may refuse to do warranty work unless returned to factory state.
Whilst I used the dealer for the tow bar, wiring harness and RedArc, I had the 7pin plug changed to 12pin and Anderson plugs installed after picking up the car.
Later when having issues with the RedArc wiring they initially refused to work on the car as it was not "as delivered" by them.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,520 Posts
@bfry_

Suggest you make your location and Touareg model a part of your signature that way whenever you post anything everyone knows where in a country you're from and possibly the model you are talking about.

It's most annoying that most newbies seem to expect members to answer their questions without disclosing these general details.

TonyB
To be fair...it was his first post, but at least he was able to include the City/Location of his enquiry, before he updated his profile.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Am I right in thinking that in Australia there are differences in the maximum allowable towball weight depending on which towbar is fitted and by whom, and that due to these variations the permissable maximum weight can be very limiting?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I installed my OEM hitch bought from a VW dealer in Perth and can confirm the following

Kit contains metal bar, wiring harness and trailer module (69)
  • Plastic bumper & aluminium bar removed & replaced with tow bar
  • Trailer module installed (behind left rear taillight)
  • If your car has PR code 1D8 - Trailer hitch preparation, then the CAN bus wiring is available at the module location as is a blue tail for the EB in the battery box (or lower A pillar)under the drivers heels. The other end of this EB wire is at the fuse box in the boot (lh side)
  • When coding the trailer module properly about a dozen modules are adapted. They include Engine, Chassis control, Cent. conv, Trunk Elec, Infotainment, Dash etc, Pass door elec. etc etc.
This is so Engine & gearbox behave differently when towing as do rear parking sensors / rear radar behaviors and kick/swipe boot opening is deactivated. Buttons are shown on infotainment for trailer assist functions.

I did not install EBC but know where wires are to do so.
(Some get dealers to reactivate boot opening functions however fear that many other functions deactivate when doing this too)
I hope this helps

·
Registered
582 Posts
Am I right in thinking that in Australia there are differences in the maximum allowable towball weight depending on which towbar is fitted and by whom, and that due to these variations the permissable maximum weight can be very limiting?
Hi Tommi, in Australia what I understand so far about tow ratings for the CR Touareg is as follows. The tow rating is dependent upon the gross vehicle mass and nothing to do with the bar that is attached to the car itself, provided that the bar is a 3500kg rated bar that is. The lightest CR Touaregs 170 and 190 my versions are blessed with 280 kg ball weight rating, the 210kW has a reduced ball weight rating as it is a heavier car with rear axle steering hardware etc and the GVM must not be exceeded and so on, the 310kW V8 diesel is an even heavier car again and as a result has an even less ball weight rating though all of them are rated to tow an Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of 3500kg.

It seems ass about but that is what it is, the door pillar sticker confirms this.

Pete.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
376 Posts
Whilst I expect that it might be possible to get a towbar made to a lighter duty, the norm is that the tow bars are designed to the max spec defined by the vehicle manufacturers and are labeled with their max tow and ball load.
Eg for a P7 that in Australia is
  • 3500 kg tow load max
  • 280 kg ball weight max
The CR has the following spec (I think)
  • 3500 kg max tow load
  • 230 kg max ball weight (See later post for range of values / engine / passengers)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Thank you both for confirming I wasn't completely off target!

Does anyone have the actual towball weight for the V8 Wolfsburg?

From the sound of things there is quite a difference between the OP's T2 and his future T5 which may be important for him to know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The VW Australia site refers you to the owners handbook for weights.
Best the OP formally request that info from his dealer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
582 Posts
With OEM Towbar......... View attachment 242714
Thanks for the photo of the tow hitch plaque there. If I have a moment I'll see if I can locate the vehicle weights for all the stated models on the plaque to see what the relationship between the vehicle weight and permissible tow ball down weight is. It seems the 310kW Touareg permits a slightly greater tow ball load than the 210kW Touareg, so I got that wrong above in my previous post sorry. Will see if I can make amends.

Pete.

Reactions: gatkins

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes that is looking messy especially if they are reducing ball weight based on passengers. It would seem that rear axle load is a limiting factor.
Certainly will reduce the love for Touareg as a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

Has any one got recomendations as to where (which dealer) has the skills to install a tow bar and get it correct first time?

I will also need a electric brake controller fitted, any one know a good place for this?

My 2008 TDI V6 I've had since new, ~ 330,000 km, the last 70,000 km with a "garden hose" tail shaft center bearing, still going strong.

regards
Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I have had two Touaregs both fitted with tow bars and electrics and both done by Wangara Volkswagen. Then do a great job and know how to do it. Be warned DO NOT try and fit any other towbar other than a genuine Volkswagen one , for it is not just the tow hitch but the electronics that go with it that is important. A true VW one has a tow module fitted which tells the car that a trailer is connected when you hitch it up, and changes all kinds of settings in the vehicle when towing. If you fit for instance, an ARB tow hitsh it would not inclue the tow module and your vehilcle would not know if it were towing or not, Hope this helps. Regards Shane O;Connor.

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi

regards
Bruce
I would order it as a factory option then the wiring is correct, thats what I did. But to be honest I dont know if mine was installed here or factory, its a German make and its professional, which I wouldnt have expected my dealer to have done such a good job! Impressed with your current vehicles Km,s

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,520 Posts
I would order it as a factory option then the wiring is correct, thats what I did. But to be honest I dont know if mine was installed here or factory, its a German make and its professional, which I wouldnt have expected my dealer to have done such a good job! Impressed with your current vehicles Km,s
It is not installed at factory, despite whatever you have included in your order.
The Towbar will be branded Wesfalia and is installed (well, at the dealership I worked at a few years ago it was) at the dealership. Wiring etc was all done together with the towbar install during pre-delivery process at dealership.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts