Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- Just trying to figure out what the max tow ball mass/weight is permitted 7P V6 TDI Wagon 5dr Tiptronic 8sp 4XMotion 3.0DT [MY12 some docs I have read limit it to 140 Kg . As I am in the process of considering the vehicle I do not have a copy of the drivers handbook to refer to nor can I find a copy to download. - Can anyone provide some clarity for me thanks cheers Ian

·
Registered
511 Posts
Permitted weights are higher in AU.
In the Owners Manual (p156) of my 2016 7P the permitted towball downforce is 140kg except in Australia where it's 280kg. No mention of air versus steel suspension so applies to both. My 2007 7L was rated at 350kg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Meggsy,
Just to confirm, EU limits a lot of their towbars to 140ball weight. My Touareg is the same, 140kg in the EU, but same bar is rated 350kg in Aus.
The only thing you need to worry about with EU bars are the chains, they seem to be very LAX on even connecting them.
In Aus I'm pretty sure you need at least 1 chain for a small trailer and 2 for a large trailer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hello Meggsy,
Just to confirm, EU limits a lot of their towbars to 140ball weight. My Touareg is the same, 140kg in the EU, but same bar is rated 350kg in Aus.
The only thing you need to worry about with EU bars are the chains, they seem to be very LAX on even connecting them.
In Aus I'm pretty sure you need at least 1 chain for a small trailer and 2 for a large trailer.

In Europe, we tend to use noseweights 4-7% of towing weight, with 4% a legal minimum, hence the 140 kg in Europe - personally I wish we got your noseweight limits, my 1500kg caravan has a hitch limit of 100kg..

Chains aren't used in Europe on braked trailers - we use the automatic overrun braking system with a breakaway cable to operate the brakes in the event of a detachment - chains are used in Europe on unbraked trailers up to 750kg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Meggsy,
In Aus I'm pretty sure you need at least 1 chain for a small trailer and 2 for a large trailer. ]

Hello Meggsy,

Thanks Stuart and Black Grouse -- yes I did have a euro van here in Aus several yeas ago and the light TB weight was great I just dragged it behind my Peugeot 407 TDi - Stuart - agreed the towbars here are rated to 350Kg however its what the permitted TB weight that is in the users manual that one gets pinged on if you are unlucky enough to get checked --- I think Patr801 has given me enough info so I will go to the dealers tomorrow to check both whats on the tobar plate and in the users manual.
Thanks again folks for your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure about owner manual (cross my fingers there haha)
But I received an ADR sticker for the driver's door and a sticker for the towbar, that both state it's rated to 350kg ball weight.

I'm happy enough with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about owner manual (cross my fingers there haha)
But I received an ADR sticker for the driver's door and a sticker for the towbar, that both state it's rated to 350kg ball weight.

I'm happy enough with that.

Great I shall check tomorrow when I have a second look cheers & thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts