Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get a bit of stuttering and hesitation on their Toureg diesel during the warm up cycle? It happens with light acceleration right before the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 gear changes. Happens to me every morning and most evenings when I leave from work.

This has been going on ever since the "fix" was installed. Two dealers have said they have no idea what is causing this and that it's normal for post-fix diesel Tregs to do this. Both say its not the transfer case and it has had a good throttle body and intake cleaning recently.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Anything abnormal is a result of the fix. Most dealers have no clue, wait for 5yrs and none will be able to service our diesels. My 2016 engine runs exactly as it should. The tranny adjustments make due to the fix are a pain till the engine warms up. It holds lower gears longer than I like. I feel the engine is normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did get this throttle stumble when cold, but it has reduced to near-zero since I did a seafoam treatment of the injectors through the fuel tank. Our 2015 Treg has 113,000 km.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did get this throttle stumble when cold, but it has reduced to near-zero since I did a seafoam treatment of the injectors through the fuel tank. Our 2015 Treg has 113,000 km.
So just put a can of this in the fuel tank?

That solved the issue? Wow!

·
Registered
87 Posts
So just put a can of this in the fuel tank?

That solved the issue? Wow!
Yes, Seafoam is a popular carbon liquifier that loosens caked on deposits. It fully combusts, and your diesel or gas engine can actually run on it temporarily as fuel. You can use it as a fuel additive to clean your fueling system upstream from the cylinders, or as a form of crankcase oil flush to clear out carbon buildup just prior to your next oil change.

Here's how I treat our 2015 Treg TDI:

1. Consume the fuel tank down to 1/2 volume (This will increase the effective concentration of the Seafoam in the diesel)
  2. Pour two cans of the Seafoam into the diesel tank
  3. Drive as you normally would. No need to rush out and immediately put miles on it, but you will increase the speed of the cleaning if you go for a 30-mini cruise and keep the transmission in 5th gear to keep the revs high.
  4. Consume the tank down to 1/4 volume, then do your regular diesel fuel refilling.
I noticed smoother and freer revving within the first 25 km. By 100 km of Seafoam, my Touareg engine started to feel really silky smooth throughout the entire rev range.

I've since done similar Seafoam treatment to wifey's Ford F-150 5.4 liter Triton, and to our SnoTek snowblower. Both achieved noticeable improvement in throttle response and engine smoothness.

Definitely Google for Seafoam reviews. There are many Youtube videos of diesel and gas drivers treating their vehicles.

I personally recommend Project Farm. I love this guy for how he scientifically tests the effectiveness of petroleum additives

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact same issue on my 14 A6 TDI and I’ve been trying to figure out what it is to no avail. It’s exactly as you describe and does it every time until it warms up. I’ll have to try the treatment mentioned as well and see if that helps. At least my car is not the only one doing it so that’s a relief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have this exact same issue on my 14 A6 TDI and I’ve been trying to figure out what it is to no avail. It’s exactly as you describe and does it every time until it warms up. I’ll have to try the treatment mentioned as well and see if that helps. At least my car is not the only one doing it so that’s a relief

Andrei: what kind of mileage is on your A6 diesel? Maybe you have injector coking buildup that is degrading the flamefront(s) of your combustion cycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Andrei: what kind of mileage is on your A6 diesel? Maybe you have injector coking buildup that is degrading the flamefront(s) of your combustion cycle.

View attachment 233718
It only has 69k miles, or 112k KM. It’s exactly as OP described and it goes away once warm. It’s been doing it for 20k miles or so and I’ve only owned it since after the fix so I am not sure how it was before

·
Registered
298 Posts
FWIW the walmart brand of seafoam is in the same identical bottle with same identical screw cap same fluid oz and is 4.63 a bottle I use it on my small engine stuff works well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2013 TDI Lux has the same hesitation noted, came on after the fix at 72K but cannot really say if its the fix or accumulated mileage so the Sea Foam route seems to be worth trying....
The vehicle was just into the dealer for a 90K check and they of course found nothing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, glad to be on this forum. I have 69k miles on my ‘14 TDI Treg. Exact same symptoms as OP. Hella frustrating. Is the sea foam good to go? Has anybody used liquimoly diesel purge to correct this condition?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anything abnormal is a result of the fix. Most dealers have no clue, wait for 5yrs and none will be able to service our diesels. My 2016 engine runs exactly as it should. The tranny adjustments make due to the fix are a pain till the engine warms up. It holds lower gears longer than I like. I feel the engine is normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, glad to be on this forum. I have 69k miles on my ‘14 TDI Treg. Exact same symptoms as OP. Hella frustrating. Is the sea foam good to go? Has anybody used liquimoly diesel purge to correct this condition?
My Treg is also at 70K miles. After this Seafoam treatment two weeks ago, my throttle hesitation is 90% gone. I suspect it was coking buildup on my fuel injectors.

If you toggle your Treg diesel to use Cayenne transmission shift pattern, that will further address the throttle-brake-throttle hesitation at yield signs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experienced the same - jittery and feels like rough shifting in 2014 TDI Executive. I wonder - does same occur if you are in Sport mode?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you toggle your Treg diesel to use Cayenne transmission shift pattern, that will further address the throttle-brake-throttle hesitation at yield signs.
[/QUOTE]
Is this done via vag-com?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts