Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2013 Touareg Exec and I was wondering if anyone out there has taken their Dynaudio system apart or upgraded it. This has to be one of the most disappointing upgraded factory systems I've heard. I guess the best way to describe the sound is that of an open air concert hall with bad acoustics... seems like the sound, especially the bass just disappears and dissipates into the air. There's no fullness to the sound. When I turn up the bass then in any music where there's bass and vocals it makes the vocals sound muddy... it's no longer clear.

I've generally been pretty happy with the higher end factory systems... the RL I had with a Bose system sounded much better. I also currently have a ZDX with the ELS and that blows the Dynaudio out of the water. Even the Logic 7 in a Mercedes GL sounds way better. Previous cars I've owned to was a LS460 with the Levinson and Hyundai Genesis with the Lexicon. All those systems sounded good enough that I never even thought about modifying or ripping them apart.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done anything to their Touareg Dynaudio system before I start popping off panels so I know what I'm getting into. Ideally I would like to keep the factory speakers and add an amp and a subwoofer or upsize the woofers in the rear door to see if that will clean it up. When you set the sound stage to the front it sounds much better so I'm guessing the rear door speakers are mucking up the sound because they can't handle the lows very well.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My T1 without dynaudio is pretty good. Dynaudio in the treg gets good reviews, so perhaps your standards are very high or there is a fault with yours.

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
T1 and T2 Dynaudio is very good but it's a different system from 2011 on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Dynaudio only really differs from the stock by the addition of midrange speakers up front, higher quality speakers all round, and some extra amplification and equalization options. Overall I found the Dynaudio disappointing, and the stock setup extremely disappointing. Neither setup is worthy of a vehicle of this class.

The good news: Lots have modified both systems, check through the forum for some excellent pictorials and instructions. I concur with Dave that the biggest problem with both systems is a lack of low-end ummph. Unfortunately, the only remedy for this is fairly extensive modification. Other problems include the soundstage - all speakers are below where the listener's ears are, the pathetic amplification in the stock system that means only half of your volume range is useable, and poor speaker quality in the stock-Lux vehicles.

When you fill out the JD Power survey you'll receive within a few months of your purchase, make sure you provide VW with the negative feedback they deserve for this. If you choose to modify, good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I haven't seen a Dynaudio on a T3 modified... most of them are the base of upgraded base systems on the Lux. I read on another post that supposedly the connection from the head unit to DSP to amp is all done through optical cable. I guess I'm trying to form a strategy on what part of the system is feasible to intercept and upgrade. Are there any amps or LOCs out there that can take an optical signal and change it to RCAs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think my standards are that high when it comes to sound systems... pretty much every car I've owned or currently own I've left the stock systems alone. Even my wife noticed it right away and commented that she thought someone had screwed with the settings in the Treg since it sounded that off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have a 2013 Touareg Exec and I was wondering if anyone out there has taken their Dynaudio system apart or upgraded it. This has to be one of the most disappointing upgraded factory systems I've heard. I guess the best way to describe the sound is that of an open air concert hall with bad acoustics... seems like the sound, especially the bass just disappears and dissipates into the air. There's no fullness to the sound. When I turn up the bass then in any music where there's bass and vocals it makes the vocals sound muddy... it's no longer clear.

I've generally been pretty happy with the higher end factory systems... the RL I had with a Bose system sounded much better. I also currently have a ZDX with the ELS and that blows the Dynaudio out of the water. Even the Logic 7 in a Mercedes GL sounds way better. Previous cars I've owned to was a LS460 with the Levinson and Hyundai Genesis with the Lexicon. All those systems sounded good enough that I never even thought about modifying or ripping them apart.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done anything to their Touareg Dynaudio system before I start popping off panels so I know what I'm getting into. Ideally I would like to keep the factory speakers and add an amp and a subwoofer or upsize the woofers in the rear door to see if that will clean it up. When you set the sound stage to the front it sounds much better so I'm guessing the rear door speakers are mucking up the sound because they can't handle the lows very well.
I recently purchased a 2013 TDI Exec with the Dynaudio and I would have to agree that it is pretty disappointing sound for a supposedly "high end" system. One of the many reasons I stepped up to the Exec was the sound system but it's not what I expected. I still love the vehicle but would love it even more if the sound system matched some of the other "high end" systems in competitors models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This will improve the Dynaudio sound...I also have a 13' TDI Executive and was really disappointed with the sound initially. Rep told me that VW tends to set the balance towards the front with the Focus settings at "Front & Rear", which I describe as having a tinny sound; which does not sound full.
This should give you improvement in the sound. Set the FOCUS setting to "Front" and then set the sound towards the rear where that horizontal line just comes short of touching the back seat. Setting your treble/bass is a personal choice....but the key again is the focus setting to "Front" and then balance just short of touching the backseat. I am picky about sound set up and music; and after I did this, put my mind and ears to rest...making the best of the system. Crank it and enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the Audison Bit One or the Alpine PXA-H800 able to grab the optical signal from the head unit and convert it? Then ditch the Dynaudio amp and hook up a new amp running from the Bit One or H800 to the speakers and run a separate sub/amp coming off the Bit One or H800? This way the Addison or Alpine can adjust all the cross over points and I believe the Alpine can be tuned with a laptop to reshape the sound stage. Does anyone know if this will work... if either of those two units or any other units can grab the signal from the head unit. I would rather go this route if possible rather than grabbing the signal at the speaker level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This will improve the Dynaudio sound...I also have a 13' TDI Executive and was really disappointed with the sound initially. Rep told me that VW tends to set the balance towards the front with the Focus settings at "Front & Rear", which I describe as having a tinny sound; which does not sound full.
This should give you improvement in the sound. Set the FOCUS setting to "Front" and then set the sound towards the rear where that horizontal line just comes short of touching the back seat. Setting your treble/bass is a personal choice....but the key again is the focus setting to "Front" and then balance just short of touching the backseat. I am picky about sound set up and music; and after I did this, put my mind and ears to rest...making the best of the system. Crank it and enjoy.
Wow! Great advice, I immediately went out to the garage to make these adjustments to my Dynaudio and its a night and day difference! It's like a whole new audio experience. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did this a few years ago. Have to say the Dynaudio sounds equal to the B&O system in the Q5 the Treg is parked next to in the garage. IMHO \\:D/

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is the Audison Bit One or the Alpine PXA-H800 able to grab the optical signal from the head unit and convert it? Then ditch the Dynaudio amp and hook up a new amp running from the Bit One or H800 to the speakers and run a separate sub/amp coming off the Bit One or H800? This way the Addison or Alpine can adjust all the cross over points and I believe the Alpine can be tuned with a laptop to reshape the sound stage. Does anyone know if this will work... if either of those two units or any other units can grab the signal from the head unit. I would rather go this route if possible rather than grabbing the signal at the speaker level.
I know the Bit One isn't able to take optical in, you'd have to grab the speaker level coming out of the Amp, which I agree is a bit of a hassle and really a waste of an amplifier. With the stock amp this isn't such a big deal, as it's pretty useless...

That being said, since you mentioned the Alpine's controls, I was really happy with the Bit One's control of the soundstage, the software was really easy to work with and allows you to program in a delay based on the distance from the listener for each individual speaker - this made a huge difference in the soundstage and the overall impact of the speakers. Same with equalization, you can set crossover points pretty much anywhere to really bring out the best of your speaker configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like unless I want to really tear apart the whole system, I'll try to grab the signal at the speaker level and run that to a subwoofer, turn down the bass in the head unit and adjust the subwoofer to fill it. It seems like to do anything else I might be opening another whole can of worms with no guarantee the system will actually sound better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All I can say is WOW! I just went out and made the focus and fader change to the Dynaudio system in my 2013 Exec and its like an entirely different sound system. The bass is thumping and the clarity is excellent. I actually had to lower down the bass setting a couple of points as it was now too strong. Excellent info, now I have a premium sound system onboard!

·
Banned
7,136 Posts
I wonder why the VW salesmen are not made aware of the subpar default settings in the HU. I wonder if VW is even aware of this. Truly sad, that an otherwise great sounding system, sounds like crap on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don't have Dynaudio, but I had also shifted mine up towards the front headrests I think the first day I had the new Touareg. Didn't really think about it until I saw this thread.

I guess I've always shifted my vehicle towards the front or back depending on where the sweet spot is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thread Necromancy!!

So how would I do this on my 2008 Treg with Dynaudio? I donmt have the diagram that it sounds like you guys have (i.e. Near rhe headrests or just before the back seat). When I look at the sterio options, I see treble, mis, bass, fade F-R, and balance L-R. There is just a bunch of lines left to right with the little adjuster tab smack in the middle of all of them as default.

Also, if I adjust the fader to the front, will that make it sound crappy to people in the backseat? I want it to sound good to me, but also friends and lassengers in the back.

For as nice as my touareg is, I just don't feel like the dynaudio in my 2008 v8 matches the rest of the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts