Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to know the load rating of OEM Touareg Wheels
I am looking at changing the 21" on the R Line to 19" Porsche Cayenne Wheels.
Is there a listing of the load ratings for the OEM Wheels in different sizes ie. 18" 19" 20" and 21" ?
Are they all rated the same or is there a variation ?
I would like to ensure any replacement wheels I am considering are rated the same or higher than the originals
to ensure they are up to the task for towing our caravan and to stay on the right side of the law and insurance companies.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
912 Posts
There is a risk that wheels intended for cars will be lower in load rating than the "SUV-rated" wheels that we use - although this is more likely in the smaller sizes, eg 17/18" - some aftermarket rims have their load rating in kg stamped or cast on the inside - check with any supplier before parting with money!

·
Registered
668 Posts
The downside of 19s is the more limited selection and higher prices when compared with 18s and 20s.

It may be different in your market.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks adidas much appreciated.
TommiT - In Australia there is more choice of tyres in 19" than there is in 20" and 21" especially all terrain tyres.
255/55R19 are standard fitment on a number of SUVs and soft 4WDs

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would anyone know the load rating of OEM Porsche Cayenne 19" wheels.
Having trouble finding the information on the web and wheel sellers tell me its not cast into the OEM wheels for most manufacturers. Cayenne GVM and GCM appear to be within a 100Kg or so of the Touareg.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
240 Posts
Not sure on the load rating of the OEM porsche wheels but I have to ask the question.
Hey KandC,
Why would you want to go from a 275 standard width tyre to a smaller 255 width tyre? Wouldn't you want to keep the width up. I mean these are big cars and reducing the width by 20mm seems a little peculiar to me. I personally wouldn't do it to my car, but each to their own.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Snerlo
I was initially hesitant to go down to a 255 tyre but after much research found that the Touareg is fitted with a variety of sizes ranging from 235/65R17 all the way up to 275/40R21 with the 255/55R18 probably the most common size.
I will possibly end up on the road full time again towing most of the time and want to increase the side wall depth to allow more give in the tyre. I know you and others tow with 21s and even 20s without any issues but I want that peace of mind and it would drive me insane continually worrying about putting a mark on the 21s. I could go to 20s to keep the 275 width but that only gets me 13mm more side wall where as the 19s with 255/55 gets me almost 30mm more side wall. If I am going to the expense of changing wheels it would be pointless to only go down to 20s. I could put 265/50R19 on but they are not as readily available in a all terrain tyre. Having experienced the condition of our roads in the 4 1/2 years we were full time with the 5th wheeler and witnessing the results of tyre failures I want that extra safety margin in the side wall. Extra width doesn't necessarily relate to more grip, a wider tyre on the same vehicle will give a slightly larger contact patch but that also relates to less down pressure per square cm. Our previous vehicle was a Chev Silverado 2500HD which is over a tonne heavier than the Touareg and has a GVM of 4495Kg and GCM of 11115Kg, it only had 265/60R20 tyres on it.
Kym

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
912 Posts
The 235/65 x17 is specifically a winter tyre size, it's normal to have narrower snow tyres than normal summer tyres - the summer size for 18" wheels is the 255/55 x18" - 265/50 x19 is the normal size for 19" wheels.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
240 Posts
Hi Snerlo
I was initially hesitant to go down to a 255 tyre but after much research found that the Touareg is fitted with a variety of sizes ranging from 235/65R17 all the way up to 275/40R21 with the 255/55R18 probably the most common size.
I will possibly end up on the road full time again towing most of the time and want to increase the side wall depth to allow more give in the tyre. I know you and others tow with 21s and even 20s without any issues but I want that peace of mind and it would drive me insane continually worrying about putting a mark on the 21s. I could go to 20s to keep the 275 width but that only gets me 13mm more side wall where as the 19s with 255/55 gets me almost 30mm more side wall. If I am going to the expense of changing wheels it would be pointless to only go down to 20s. I could put 265/50R19 on but they are not as readily available in a all terrain tyre. Having experienced the condition of our roads in the 4 1/2 years we were full time with the 5th wheeler and witnessing the results of tyre failures I want that extra safety margin in the side wall. Extra width doesn't necessarily relate to more grip, a wider tyre on the same vehicle will give a slightly larger contact patch but that also relates to less down pressure per square cm. Our previous vehicle was a Chev Silverado 2500HD which is over a tonne heavier than the Touareg and has a GVM of 4495Kg and GCM of 11115Kg, it only had 265/60R20 tyres on it.
Kym
Yeah, fair enough. It also depends on the actual brand of tyre manufacturer as well as some all terrain tyres are tougher and more reinforcing than other brands. Well, that's what I've discovered anyway. Good luck with your search and travels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far as load ratings go you will be fine with any of the VAG factory wheels being Q7, Cayenne or Touareg as they all meet or exceed the original equipment load rating. As for diameter you may as well drop down to 18" as all terrain tyres in 18" are very common and will give you the side wall height you're looking for.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up purchasing these Porsche Cayenne 19" wheels
20200325_165327.jpg

All polished up ready for new tyres when things get back to normal.

The so called experts told me that OEM wheels don't have the load rating on them but some online research has revealed they do its specified in Newtons.
20200321_141925.jpg

FR-8400N is 8400 Newtons which is equates to 856.56Kg which is more than the original Touareg wheels.
newtons to kg 1.jpg

Hope this info is of use to anyone considering alternate wheels.

Kym

·
Registered
126 Posts
@KandC , I bought the same wheels 3 weeks ago, before this Coronavirus lockdown, they are still in UK waiting for me, shipping now being almost impossible. Please post some photos after you put them on to enjoy my eyes untill i will have mine mounted :D
Do you have center caps for them? Im intrested in size, to back order them.
Thx!

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
adidas
I bought them from a retailer in Sydney and he offered me plain silver centre caps but sent them with the caps in the below photo. He only had plain flat grey caps so he has agreed to get some painted silver and send them to me.
Once I have the plain caps I will decide whether to put VW stickers on them or keep them plain.
20200320_121016.jpg

Could be some time before I get the new tyres so here is a teaser for you.
Porsche Cayenne with these wheels and my feeble attempt to photo shop them onto my Touareg.
Kym
100b.jpg

100aa.jpg

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
240 Posts
You'll be able to buy centre caps. I bought some for my secondhand wheels. Just a matter of measuring the diameter. I bought mine a few years ago now but from memory they were 70mm. But always have a check measure. Mine are still going strong and they were pretty cheap too.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,979 Posts
You'll be able to buy centre caps. I bought some for my secondhand wheels. Just a matter of measuring the diameter. I bought mine a few years ago now but from memory they were 70mm. But always have a check measure. Mine are still going strong and they were pretty cheap too.
Centre cap specifications for Porsche rims are different to those of VW rims.

I searched relentlessly for mine....everywhere. In the end, had to conced and order stick on VW centre caps to lay over the Porshe centre cap. So far so good, they're staying on there. I ordered a few spare for some of those "oh $hit moments" but they are cheap enough anywhere.

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, center caps are not interchangeable?
@KandC can you measure the center caps on the new wheels? They have 2 diameters, the outside and where they lock into position.
In the end, i'll probably use Porsche ones.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi adidas
Apologies for the delay, here are the dimensions of the porsche centre caps on my wheels.
Outside diam = 76mm
Inner lip dia = 72.5mm
Clip dia = 59mm
Photos attached.
Regards
Kym
20200401_195647.jpg

20200401_195708.jpg
20200401_195727.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts