Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
240 Posts
Hi guys, this is a great write up (thanks heaps TouaregV10on33s) and hopefully I never have to actually do this job on my 2009 R50, though, I believe I could actually do it. My extended warranty does cover "fuel pump" replacement so if/when this comes about, I should be ok for an approved claim for someone else to do it.

Question I have is the pump on the rear of the left hand cylinder head the same as the one on the RHS head in the thread above here?

Drag - you made me laugh at yours above. ha ha.

Pete.
The fule pump is similar but is is not a tandem pump. ie no vacuum pump

·
Registered
259 Posts
I see Vaughn, thanks for that, so as it is just a fuel pump function (not vacuum), is the remove/refit basically the same process as outlined here but the overhaul kit will have different components probably? Any difficulties that the left bank presents (ie less bulkhead clearance if the left head is staggered slightly rearward).

Pete.

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
240 Posts
I see Vaughn, thanks for that, so as it is just a fuel pump function (not vacuum), is the remove/refit basically the same process as outlined here but the overhaul kit will have different components probably? Any difficulties that the left bank presents (ie less bulkhead clearance if the left head is staggered slightly rearward).

Pete.
Yeah there is less room i had the primary cats off to delete them so i could access it from underneath. Both my fuel pumps and vac pump had no signs of wear just leaking gaskets.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
The fact is that that the LH pump doesn't leak oil anywhere near as commonly as the RH pump does.
This is due to the RH pump being a vacuum pump is supplied engine oil from a gallery on the back of the head.
That oil gallery is very close to the edge of the gasket and to ad extra to it the pump only has 3 uneven spaced bolts holding the pump tight.
All V10 owners will have a leak from this pump at some time if they hold onto the car long enough.
Yes when fitting i use hylomar blue spray on the gaskets.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
240 Posts
The fact is that that the LH pump doesn't leak oil anywhere near as commonly as the RH pump does.
This is due to the RH pump being a vacuum pump is supplied engine oil from a gallery on the back of the head.
That oil gallery is very close to the edge of the gasket and to ad extra to it the pump only has 3 uneven spaced bolts holding the pump tight.
All V10 owners will have a leak from this pump at some time if they hold onto the car long enough.
Yes when fitting i use hylomar blue spray on the gaskets.

regards
Drag
Correct Drag i only noticed a small leak from the LH pump when the dump pipe was removed, but as i could get to it i decided to change the gasket.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi folks further to my note above, I had had enough of my smoking R50 and so took it to the Osborne Park dealer to inspect with a view to quoting for repair under my Extended Warranty. Just the other day after a shortish run around my town (Mandurah) I pulled back into my driveway and as I waited for the garage door to roll up, I sat there and a cloud of smoke blew out from leading edge of the bonnet and left side wheel well and then a puff of this smoke came straight into the inside via the AC centre vents! Golly it stunk. I immediately shut off the AC but it was fortunate I was able to see in daylight all this happen. The cloud of smoke had found it's way to the AC inlet vent and thence into the cabin.

So the dealer will pull the motor out to replace the LHS Tandem Pump. Clip here after I rolled into the garage courtesy of my son Tim - I hope it works for you.

Smoking R50

Whilst the LHS tandem pump will be replaced under the warranty, I am keen to do a few other things while the motor is out - wont be warranty covered so I am being cautiously discretionary.

1. Unbolt and refit with new gasket the RHS Tandem Pump
  2. Remove and refit both exhaust manifolds to replace exhaust manifold gaskets (RHS was noted as having some slight passing soot)
  3. Inspect other things like PS to AC compressor drive coupling
  4. Anything else that looks suspect
Do you guys have any suggestions for things I MUST do with the motor out?

Regards

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,928 Posts
Wow Pete

Smart move getting preventative maintenance done at the same time.

Hope this gets sorted for you mate. Does OPVW provide a loan car for you? (I'm thinking no...but curious all the same).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Steve, yes I believe a loaner for the days it's out of service but I could accommodate via the wonderful Transperth train system get home ok. Got plenty of cars to choose from here if needed.

Pete.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Hi folks further to my note above, I had had enough of my smoking R50 and so took it to the Osborne Park dealer to inspect with a view to quoting for repair under my Extended Warranty. Just the other day after a shortish run around my town (Mandurah) I pulled back into my driveway and as I waited for the garage door to roll up, I sat there and a cloud of smoke blew out from leading edge of the bonnet and left side wheel well and then a puff of this smoke came straight into the inside via the AC centre vents! Golly it stunk. I immediately shut off the AC but it was fortunate I was able to see in daylight all this happen. The cloud of smoke had found it's way to the AC inlet vent and thence into the cabin.

So the dealer will pull the motor out to replace the LHS Tandem Pump. Clip here after I rolled into the garage courtesy of my son Tim - I hope it works for you.

Smoking R50

Whilst the LHS tandem pump will be replaced under the warranty, I am keen to do a few other things while the motor is out - wont be warranty covered so I am being cautiously discretionary.

1. Unbolt and refit with new gasket the RHS Tandem Pump
  2. Remove and refit both exhaust manifolds to replace exhaust manifold gaskets (RHS was noted as having some slight passing soot)
  3. Inspect other things like PS to AC compressor drive coupling
  4. Anything else that looks suspect
Do you guys have any suggestions for things I MUST do with the motor out?

Regards

Pete.
Pete
I can see the smoke but that is a bit odd on the LHS as the pump on the left is not a tandem pump and has no engine oil supply to it like the problematic RH pump.
While the engine is out don't muck around and make sure to get the aircon compressor over run pulley replaced. (can be a mongrel to remove but needs to be done)
This fails and it stuffs the toothed coupling and that's the reason they fail not the coupling worn out. (for another day the alternator has the same coupling issue but can be done without removing the eng)
Exhaust manifolds will possibly (read very possibly if you have soot) be cracked around the flanges so repair these when out. (any questions i can assist there with some answers)
New water pump maybe (i would)
Have a look at the cams if you are brave.

regards
Drag

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks Drag, I have read a thread on here previously (perhaps it was your thread - I can't recall) about the repairs to manifold flanges with cracking and I am anticipating some repairs may be needed at least a clean facing off on a mill, at worst replacement or in between some welding and refacing. Will also program in the AC overrun pulley.

Treg has done 103,000 kms.

While the water pump maybe in need of replacement some time in the near or distant future - it is a warrant-able item (can be claimed in the future) but cannot be combined with this LHS diesel pump repair/replace (as a discretionary replacement as well and not actually having failed) being the cause of the claim in the first place. I am happy for it to be left as a future claim - even if engine out required again. Will consider further though.

Kind Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Drag, one question, do you have a part number for the over run pulley please?

Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think I found it - 070 903 201E.

Looks to be the one in your image.

Regards

Pete.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts