Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in a forum that SPOCAT sent a pdf with instructions on how to remove the Touareg Tail Light. Could SPOCAT or someone else send me the pdf or post it here. Many thanks.

2003 vert roseau, air suspension, nav, R5 TDI

· Registered
23 Posts
Tail light removal simplified

The approach in the link below worked well for me.

I read the pdf filr from Curt Hotch installation, followed the instructions to wedge my fingers above/below and MOST IMPORTANTLY PULL STRAIGHT BACK. Killed my fingers in the process, as the gap is so small it is very hard to get any force. The picture in this thread - ie a strap around the back of the light - was a godsend, and worked great.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1427626&postid=16981737#16981737

The pdf file for curt hitch is in the installation section within the following:

http://www.tregcentral.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=102

Good luck.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Before you start you need two new parts costing a dollar each!

The tricky bit is the metal ball on the light unit that plugs into a a plastic socket fitted in a steel bracket in the bodywork.

The original plastic sockets were white and too tight and you can break the light unit extracting it if you aren't VERY, VERY careful and don't get a straight pull.

Once you have undone the two screws on the side of the light unit [I used a straight edged screwdriver by the way as VW are up to their "You can only go to a dealer to change a bulb" trick with a "funny" fastening] you can get the parcel strapping tape in easily enough so don't be put off.

But as you pull, keep your belly against the light [don't do this in public - it doesn't look good!!] to stop it suddenly releasing and clattering down the body work. [Even if it did the wire would stop it falling on the ground.]

Anyway, the replacement plastic sockets are black and should be installed in place of the white ones when you replace any bulbs in the outer light units.

The part number is 7L6 905 229 SPEED NUT and they cost a dollar each. It my be that your car already has them but there is no way of knowing until you've got the light out and since they can be a b1tch to do, my recommendation is you spend those two bucks so you have a new speed nut ready to go for each side. They are one helluva lot cheaper than a new light unit!

My dealer posted a pair of them to me only last week and the nearside is already done - the other nut is in the centre armrest awaiting the next bulb to blow in the offside unit!

Here's another how-to with pictures:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/9039-changing-rear-side-light-rear-brake-light-rear-indicator-bulb-on-t1/page__p__80698__hl__%2Brear+%2Blight__fromsearch__1#entry80698

I don't know how long VW used the white speed nuts - certainly 2003-4 and possibly 2005-6 even before their dealers had broken so many lights when changing bulbs that they finally did something about it!

· Registered
10 Posts
@noobytoogy
Awsome ...thanks for that...
someone has beaten me to it and already broken the white one so it came out easy.
thanks heaps for the part number though...that in itself probly just saved me an hour or so at my local dealer...not really a treg friendly town lol

yes lets start with the vin..........and so on lol

And just noticed that the locating pins on these globes are not 180 degrees apart...sheesh....
dunno about other parts of the world but thats not standard here..

Is this just a VW thing?

· Registered
1,445 Posts
There is a TSB on taillight removal,02/03/05,GP94-05-01,Tail light assembly difficult to remove or lens cracks during removal.Existing white retainer replaced with new black retainer 7L6905229-- Starting with VIN # 7L-5D053137.Marty

Check in DIY and Technical section.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
@noobytoogy

And just noticed that the locating pins on these globes are not 180 degrees apart...sheesh....
dunno about other parts of the world but thats not standard here..

Is this just a VW thing?
Globes??!! Sorry, had to laugh at myself as it took a few moments wondering what the hell you were on about, and then the light went on . . . you mean BULBS!!

Yes, it does seem stupid but I suppose it is done to make sure the right filament ends up doing the right job - the 5w for tail, and the 21w for the brakes and not the other way around!

· Registered
10 Posts
yes well there's that english thing again...the universal language that has its dialects lol

never occurred to me that in a lot of places, that a globe is possibly reference to a planet or the like...

yes i spose that it does make sure the globe (bulb) can only go in one way...but they already have staggered heights on the pins....guess veedub were just makin' reeeelly sure....

But that poses the question of why these assemblies are so hard to get into in the first place...if it takes a VW expert to get into them surely they would have the knowledge on putting it (the bulb) in the right way around.

And if it were just to make doubly sure....why would you do it on the globe (bulb) that only has one contact???

Hmmm

Admittedly i just laughed when i took out the indicator globe and noticed that...if it were a focus thing then maybe...but really...VW take a look at yourself...Glad i hadn't ordered the generic LED replacements yet

· Registered
20,262 Posts
The whole light thing on the Touareg [and other cars] is crackers anyway.

Lights are a safety critical item. So why the ****ing hell do manufacturers make them so damned hard to replace.

Not one bulb on any car should take more than 5 minutes to replace - and that should include breaking into the blister packaging too!!

There should be no plastic caps to remove. No special screws to undo. No special tools required. No awkward wire spring holding bulbs in. No sharp corners. No . . . .

A dumb blonde should be able to a bulb job in seconds . . . and without chipping her nail varnish!

· Registered
516 Posts
We have a blend of British and American dialects here in Oz. Never even thought globe/bulb was regional. "Globe" tends to be more commonly used, although instances of great insight are still referred to as "light bulb moments". Which is interesting because it is derived from American cartoons and the appearance of a light globe above the character to indicate a good idea.

· Registered
85 Posts
Recently had to change out my brake light bulbs on my '06 while on a trip. Here is a little trick for removing the lens: I put on a pair of those grippy gloves... you know, the rubberized ones with the little round black grippers on the fingers. Well, i had read all of the links about how it is supposed to come out and, walla, it came right off. I pulled with both hands but a little harder on the outside of the lens where i knew the retainer ball and socket was. Once out, i put a little white lithium grease on it to make sure it would be easier next time. By the way i found the long life version of the bulb right on the shelf at Autozone.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Anti clockwise twist and then pull.

Check you have got the right offset pins on the new bulbs.

· Registered
49 Posts
I just replaced both lights yesterday on the Treg,

a must is the Speed Nuts,

1) get some plastic strapping to slide in behind the light when you remove the two bolts on the side of the lamp holding them to the car.

I slid the strapping in on the side closest to the lift gate and slid it behind and re-alligned it. With a firm pull straight back it came off easily! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.