Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Tregers!

I've been playing with an idea of manufacturing a camp fire cooking grill that will store on top of the inflatable spare tire. It would be the exact diameter of the spare tire and possibly feature fold out flaps that will facilitate additional cooking / heating area for a coffee pot or for keeping stuff warm on the side. The center area would be dedicated to grilling burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken, frying pan -- whatever etc. etc. Sort of a 'bug-out' accessory.

The feet would likely fold down for use and would fold up for storage. The construction would be very robust -- stainless steel and will likely out-live your Treg. The grill would remain out of site and secure on top of the spare tire until you find yourself in a camping/picnic or beach party scenario . It will lie flat and will allow the cargo floor/spare tire access cover to close normally.

It might also come with a canvas storage bag. Think of it as an emergency preparedness item -- because you never know! BTW, as an option, I may also bundle the grill with a compact set of grilling tools and skewers and an emergency fire starter, which will all will easily store to the left of the spare tire well -- where the air shock compressor would normally reside.

At this point, I'm simply doing some market research and would appreciate your thoughts, level of interest and/or suggestions. The target price would be in the $55.00 ballpark -- not including the compact grilling tools.. If there seems to be enough interest, I will have one or two prototypes made and I will post photos and a YouTube. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is it not gonna stink
Would need to be scraped with grill brush / scraper when still warm and then put away in plastic bag inside the canvas case.

It is not something that would be used frequently, just occassionally or in an emergency.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing. At first, I thought you were making something that would take up the space of the spare tire. Then I re-read and saw that you keep the spare tire, but this grilling device would be stored on top of it.

Do you have any preliminary sketches? Maybe photos of something similar in design online??

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is not something that would be used frequently, just occasionally or in an emergency.

Isn't that what the AmEx Platinum card is for?

And I don't need to clean it before I put it away!

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing. At first, I thought you were making something that would take up the space of the spare tire. Then I re-read and saw that you keep the spare tire, but this grilling device would be stored on top of it.

Do you have any preliminary sketches? Maybe photos of something similar in design online??
This is the basic concept, except would be smaller and the grill I have in mind would be the classic stainless steel welded rod grill within a round SS frame.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Old thread, but I'd like one. I have to get into that space to refill DEF all the time anyway. For extra, can you make a DEF fill tube extension?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts