Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to raise the on and off topic of a Snorkel. I was told my my service agent they had a promotional video which showed an integrated Snorkel developed by a Russian company on a Touareg.

I also noticed Porsche may soon come up with there own, after a successfull trail at the Transsyberia Rally.

I spoke with Porsche today and the sponsored vehicle that was built in Australia that took part in the rally will come back to Melbourne for demo.

It would be an interesting to see the mechanics of fitting one, even if it's from Porsche?

Regards

Gerald

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Since the V10 has two air boxes, you'll need two snorkels and I don't think that would look too pretty.

I have seen a picture of a R5 TDI with a snorkel. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Aircooled,

You are correct and I am aware of two air boxes. The right snorkel might look O.K.

However, I am looking at the practical side of a pair of Snorkels rather then the look, especially here in Australia with the high degree of unsealed roads and high levels of dust.

Regards

Gerald

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Here is the picture I found from the Touareg 360 degree experience. There is no information regarding how they attached it, but I can't imagine that its much different than how the Cayenne would be done.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
I'm going to move this thread to the Offroad forum.

Also, here are a few more pics that I found:

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Aircooled,

The 360 experience snorkels are a rough fit and a last minute thought. I would never even consider a pair as per photos, now that does not look pretty at all.

VW could have done a much better job, it also did not excite enough people in my view, perception is very important. Take a moment and look at some of the Transsyberia Rally pictures of the Cayanne, now that's a snorkel!

I might approach Safari here in Australia, if the demand is there, they may consider making a set that suits the vehicle. Somehow I don't think to many people would consider them, as the Toaureg is not considered off road enough.

In two weeks the Porsche Transsyberia Rally vehicle will be back at Porsche Melbourne, I will book some time to look at the vehicle and take some happy snaps, maybe some good ideas will come from it.

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Yeah, but I could make that snorkel for about $10 at my local hardware store!

I found the pics you mentioned. Interesting thing about the Cayenne snorkel is that is was removable for stages that didn't require it. I've attached those pictures. In any case, it looks pretty custom, but would probably do the job. Were you looking to add a secondary filter or move the primary filter to the snorkel, or just get the intake point above the dust?

More pics can be found here:
Transsyberia Rallye 2007: Gallery

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm about to place an order for a TD V6. Better AT tires and a snorkel are the only additional items I consider important for the off road tracks I'd plan to do.

I've read that the Cayanne and Touareg share the same platform.
Given that snorkel seems to enter the bonnet quite high near the windscreen, does that mean the air intake is in a similar location on both vehicles.

That would seem to indicate you might have a fair safety margin, if sticking to the 500mm water fording guidelines in VWs brochure.

What about the other things you need for river crossings, for example breather tubes to the differentials? Has that been addressed by Porsche?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've read that the Cayanne and Touareg share the same platform.
Given that snorkel seems to enter the bonnet quite high near the windscreen, does that mean the air intake is in a similar location on both vehicles.
If you look at the Touareg with snorkel (aircooled's early posts) then it would seem not - one is RHS in front of windscreen (Porsche) and the other (VW) has its snorkel entering just above the LH headlight.
That would seem to indicate you might have a fair safety margin, if sticking to the 500mm water fording guidelines in VWs brochure.

What about the other things you need for river crossings, for example breather tubes to the differentials? Has that been addressed by Porsche?
Who knows if Porsche has addressed it, but I believe that the Touareg has all issues taken care of for the 500mm depth (including triple sealed doors). Ask [email protected] how he went with regular boat launches into fast deep rivers (jetboat nut) if you like.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Guys,
I certainly would be interested to buy on that looks as good as the one on the Porsche, particular if it can be made as removable unit, as I belive the Cayenne's is. At the moment I use a bra but only for emergencys. As for breather tubes I belive that can be done. A wile back, about a year ago there was a thread in the forum explaining the where and how. But no need to look it up without the snorkle.:!:
Markus

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi Guys,
I certainly would be interested to buy on that looks as good as the one on the Porsche, particular if it can be made as removable unit, as I belive the Cayenne's is. At the moment I use a bra but only for emergencys. As for breather tubes I belive that can be done. A wile back, about a year ago there was a thread in the forum explaining the where and how. But no need to look it up without the snorkle.:!:
Markus
Do you have any photos of what sounds like your very nicely set up Touareg?

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Gerald you could simply go to say "safari" and take a look at their parts bin for different models. i am sure you could adapt (incl plastic welding ..) a good fit on the out side from various sections.. inside you can make up just about anything...

·
Registered
24 Posts
V10 airboxes

I would think that some mods in the engine bay would be required, but the Cayenne schnorkel solution seems perfect for the V10 - fitted when required. My only concern with the Treg is how it would handle the crossings in Cape York - 500mm wading depth is not enough, 1-1.5m (just below roof level in the Range Rover a few times!) is typical.

SWMBO has been driving the Treg lately so probably won't have permission to do any mods at all...

Wince
V10 White turbine, roof racks, Rear carrier, typically on the road anywhere between Vic and Qld...

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Bilstein has announced a set of shocks with 50mm lift.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.