1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking it Monday for:

(1) TPMS problem - see problems forum for more info
(2) 5k service
(3) Alignment (been off since day 1)

The only thing they should charge me for is the 5k service, right?

I'm taking it to McKenna VW in Huntington Beach.

On the phone, the service rep seemed very nice. She told me that they only have one loaner (I wonder if that means one Touareg loaner?? or one loaner for the whole place?) and that it will be waiting for me on Monday.

Anyone dealt with these folks before?

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok... so, here's how it went:

The first few service "Advisors" I talked to were arrogant as all hell. This really got me pissed to begin with but I maintained my cool. They told me the 5k service would be $189.95. I questioned the price, as I had heard on the forums that it would be cheaper. He said that's the price. He walked me over to another advisor to finish the paperwork.

The second guy said the price was wrong... "it's more like $200".

I said "No.. it's not. It won't be any more than $189.95 since thats what I signed for."

He bickered a bit about "we don't know the exact cost because this is the first 5k service we've done on a Touareg and we really don't know how long it will take."

Whatever.

Anyhow, they gave me a base Jetta loaner. Not exactly the caliber of vehicle I had anticipated from the dealer rated the "best in the region" three months in a row. (The service guy repeated that like 5 times).

So, six hours later, I go to pick it up. It's barely finished. They said the TPMS sensor is not problematic. They claim that the right rear tire was 3psi low. I'm not sure how one of four tires can magically lose (and gain, since different days and after different driving conditions, the TPMS alarm goes away or appears) pressure, but, hey, they said they added 3psi and everything is Aye-Okay.

Now for the kicker - The steering wheel being on off-center (it's tilted to the right when the wheels are straight, like it was put on one notch over). They said I would have to pay $250 for the fix since its an alignment issue. I told them it's been like this since day one and on day two, I reported it to the sales manager at the dealership where I bought it. They told me to call Sunnyvale VW to see if they will pay for the alignment. Sunnyvale said no. So, now I have to drive 425 miles back to the Bay Area to get my alignment done. Damnit.

The final price ended up being $165. They reduced the cost for whatever reason.

They used 7 quarts of synthetic oil. Is that right? Another service advisor (who owns a Touareg) said it takes 6 quarts (5.85 to be exact). He left for the day before I noticed that on the invoice.

· Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mike. I'm in SoCal too, so I'll be sure to stay away from McKenna. (Maybe you should shoot them an email and have them take a look at the bad press they're getting here.)
I bought my two Eurovans at Santa Monica and recommend avoiding that place like the plague. Bought the Touareg at Bozzani in Covina, but will probably be trying Van Nuys for service, since it's closer.

· Registered
467 Posts
the extra quart of old on the receipt is pretty standard practice. it acounts for their spillage lol and disposal and what not...

I also noticed from day one that my alighment was off (pulled to the right a bit) and they just adjusted the tire pressure... didn't didn't help much as I had already done this myself. I amways check my tire pressure and make sure it is exact.... helps the tire say strong for a longer period of time. Here in DRY AZ the sidewalls tend to crack on tired if the pressure dips too low...

What were the items listed on the standard 5k checkup... I would like to know as well as everyone else here so when I hit the mark I will know what to look for :twisted:

· Registered
139 Posts
Geez, I just looked up what my 5k cost me (we all believe it was the first one done in the USA) on 7/17/03 at Ray Reece's Friday VW in Portland, OR, and it was $32.95.

I think my 10K was $130 at Montesi in Connecticut and am having the 20K done on Thursday.

I'll just keep blazin' the path for y'all!

Chris

· Registered
40 Posts
5000 mile service

After driving the Touareg from Tacoma, WA to Ft Lauderdale, FL., I took it to Vista VW in Pompano Beach for service. They used Castrol synthetic oil and did all the other stuff besides wash it. Only cost me $ 75.00.
And the kicker is.........after waiting so long for it...the service lady gave it to me FREE !!!!!!!
Also anytime I am in the area I can stop in and get it washed FREE...!!
:p :p :p

· Registered
139 Posts
I was just told this morning that an oil change on a Touareg is not a simple thing... it requires removing parts in the front end, and takes longer than the normal oil change, thus dealers learned after the first few that they couldn't charge $35 for the change. I got mine in before they learned that!

· Registered
1 Posts
Service In southern CaL

I bought my Treg @ Mckenna VW, and i can tell you that this place is not what they claim it to be. Anyhow since i bought my Treg it has all kinds of problems. first my rear hatch wouldn't open I took it in any they found that the harness was damaged so they replace the harness and fix the problem. Then next my air conditioner stop working so i took it in and they coudn't find the problems, so they recharged it. It works for about 2 months and now its dead again. I have to take it in this monday -02-02-04 for them to fix it. along with something they broke in the process of fixing my shifter cover. I hear alot of break noise on the front wheels when i complaint about it, they said its normal for this type of breaks. Does anyone have the same problems??? Please reply!! :?

This Place give me a base beat up jetta for my touareg! terible! I will have a word with the Service manager when i bring my treg in.

Does anyone has their 5k service done at Mckenna in HB yet? How much does it cost. They told me its around $180.00

thanks for reading!

Chris N.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I had my 5k done at McKenna.

$165.xx incl tax.

Cheapo jetta as the loaner. Would I take my Touareg there again? Nope. Arrogant service folks there.

They "guessed" with my price. First it was $189. I signed the paperwork. Another service guy came over and said its more like $200. I said "No, its not."

They said they reduced it "just for you".

Never again to McKenna in HB.

· Registered
161 Posts
forgive me, but i thought oil changes were included in the 4 year/ 48 thousand service coverage.

Did my dealer lie to me :(

· Registered
866 Posts
smokin_joe said:
forgive me, but i thought oil changes were included in the 4 year/ 48 thousand service coverage.

Did my dealer lie to me :(
Oil changes aren't covered in the normal service coverage. It's possible that your dealer is doing this on thier own - if so, good for you! Check your papers, to see if you have it in writing. Or call your sales person to verify. If the dealer is giving you this extra, then you could only expect it free at that dealership - may be a clever approach to keeping your servicing biz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.