Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me '05 V8 that I believe might have a bad right front wheel bearing. Any recommendations for a local indy shop that knows Touaregs?

I'm a long time VW owner, so I am aware of all of the usual suspects, looking for some personal experience from other local board members (or even thoughts if the dealer would be the best bet for bearing replacement).

Thanks in advance.

Al

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Fix-'em-Haus in NW Portland off Lombard has broad VW experience but I don't know if he has had much to do with Touaregs specifically. He is also active on the TDIClub forum. He has hosted several get-togethers I have been to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, just to close the loop on this request, I ended up doing the work myself and using Hillside to press in the giant front bearings.

Glad I did, as it did get a little wider ranging than I anticipated. Plus, the best way to get to know a 'new to you' car is dive in on repairs.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
So, just to close the loop on this request, I ended up doing the work myself and using Hillside to press in the giant front bearings.

Glad I did, as it did get a little wider ranging than I anticipated. Plus, the best way to get to know a 'new to you' car is dive in on repairs.

For anybody else wishing to try this,, and you should. One thing to be aware of with Touareg Wheel Bearings! The Tone/Sensor wheel for the ABS is inside the bearing and mounting it the correct way round is essential.. Just make sure you (or they) check it before pressing it in. The wrong way and no ABS, and massive system errors.

Stuart...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anybody else wishing to try this,, and you should. One thing to be aware of with Touareg Wheel Bearings! The Tone/Sensor wheel for the ABS is inside the bearing and mounting it the correct way round is essential.. Just make sure you (or they) check it before pressing it in. The wrong way and no ABS, and massive system errors.

Stuart...
Stuart,

The FAG bearings I purchased had a note packed with them (from FAG) illustrating the correct side of the bearing to have facing in toward the car, so the "tone ring" would be facing the sensor. I also made sure to show this to the shop pressing them in! :wink2:

Al

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
For pressing bearings, unless you do it all day long and have good equipment and the knowledge to use it right, I always recommend a machine shop.

Got her purring like a kitten again, Al?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There are a lot of VW / Audi shops out here (westside PDX), I have been curious on reputation too because a good mechanic is hard to find. Over several VW vehicles and decades I have tried several shops out, but have not found one I like / feel comfortable with.

I will say this about Hillside, years ago they rebuilt a manual 5 speed on an MK2 GLI I had and it blew up way, waaaay out in the country a few weeks later (gear went through the side of the box). While Hillside paid for the repair (parts and labor) it always made me scared to go back. While I feel like they are a good shop they may have made a simple mistake or were not experienced with manual transmissions, I don't think I could recommend them and feel right about it.

Side note: the place that rebuild the transmission the second time was a tractor and heavy farm equipment repair shop that also did odd jobs. They did a great job, had stellar character, and had no issues along the way. I would go back to these guys..except they are out in Timbuktu.

You never know who is good until you try them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Matrix Integrated Westside on Cornell. I used westside based on recommendations 2 years so far so good. 2010 Toureg V6

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Update on a great shop...Canby Import Auto Repair...these guys are top notch and have done work on both my Tregs now and cost is very competitive, quality of work is good, and they are very knowledgeable about VW's. Have great reviews too...I know Canby is out a bit from the rest or PDX, but worth the drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts