Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
What is most interesting to me is that the sales numbers are so close (within 20k of each other). I would have thought the Touareg outsold the Cayenne. And I would have been wrong.

The Volkswagen Group is recalling 391,000 VW Touaregs and 409,477 Porsche Cayennes built between 2011 and 2016 because of a fault with the pedal mechanism.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When buying a luxury suv for half the price of a mansion the 5% higher price for the cayenne is almost sensible when taking the resell value and badge into the equation?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
When buying a luxury suv for half the price of a mansion the 5% higher price for the cayenne is almost sensible when taking the resell value and badge into the equation?
Lol!
You can't find much of a house here for less than $1M, "mansions" start at about $5M and can get quite expensive (that's about 72 fully loaded TDi Touaregs).

·
Registered
454 Posts
And the price difference was closer to 50% than 5% when I was looking. I tend to see far more Cayennes and Q7's on the road than Touaregs around here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Was going to say, if a cayenne equipped the same was only 5% more costly then that is what I would be driving. More like 30-50% more expensive with same equipment. I know, had 2 of them.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
2007-2015 q7 rides on the old gen 1 platform that the Cayenne and Touareg ran from 04-10
The 2015 Q7 TDI is an incredibly solid platform to drive on, worth the extra $15K if one is disposed to throw the extra money in. Having said that, the 2015 Q7 technology package is way, way behind the T3 Touareg's. As for the Cayenne, that's now throwing an extra $35K in for badge factor, super-nice interior, etc. I'd prefer to keep the extra $35K in my pocket.

Getting back on topic, what the heck is a brake circlip?

·
Registered
454 Posts
As of October, the difference between a Touareg Exec and a Q7 in similar trim was much less than $15k and that was all in the discounts, the MSRP was nearly identical.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As of October, the difference between a Touareg Exec and a Q7 in similar trim was much less than $15k and that was all in the discounts, the MSRP was nearly identical.
You're basing off an Exec. I'm basing off a Lux. Immediately before the 11/2/2015 stop-sale, a TDI Lux (mid-trim) could be had low $50K. An Audi TDI Premium Plus (mid-trim) goes for $65K. That's the $15K differential on an apples to apples comparison. I suspect the top-level trim on a Q7 TDI (to compare more equivalently with an Exec) will get into the mid-$70Ks, but those are off the market now.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2015 Q7 TDI is an incredibly solid platform to drive on, worth the extra $15K if one is disposed to throw the extra money in. Having said that, the 2015 Q7 technology package is way, way behind the T3 Touareg's. As for the Cayenne, that's now throwing an extra $35K in for badge factor, super-nice interior, etc. I'd prefer to keep the extra $35K in my pocket.

It's a circlip that holds the brake pedal shaft in it's mounting bracket.

Q7, Cayenne and Touareg are all targetted at different types of owners - the Touareg suited my needs more than the Q7 or Cayenne, that's why I bought it - nothing to do with price!

·
Registered
454 Posts
It is off topic, but the MSRP on the Q7 TDI was $61k for premium plus and $66k for the prestige. The Touareg TDI exec was in between at $62-63. Actual pricing at the dealers I was talking to was $51k for the Touareg and $55-59 for the Q7, mostly because by late October VW was more impacted by the scandal. A few months earlier pre scandal and 2016 model year and the prices were both closer to $60 and $63 for the prestige.

Like Black Grouse, I preferred the Touareg after driving them both. I did not need a second third row vehicle and preferred the handling of the shorter VW and I much preferred the interior setup on the Touareg to the Audi. The dealer experience was also better with VW. If I wanted the extra length of the Q7, I would have been happy to pay the small price premium to get it.

I think the Porsche looks like a platypus and the interior can't decide if it is an SUV or a sports car. The pricing premium once reasonable options were added was enough to steer me away even if I had liked the styling. I guess I am not the target market for that car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It is off topic, but the MSRP on the Q7 TDI was $61k for premium plus and $66k for the prestige. The Touareg TDI exec was in between at $62-63. Actual pricing at the dealers I was talking to was $51k for the Touareg and $55-59 for the Q7, mostly because by late October VW was more impacted by the scandal. A few months earlier pre scandal and 2016 model year and the prices were both closer to $60 and $63 for the prestige.

Like Black Grouse, I preferred the Touareg after driving them both. I did not need a second third row vehicle and preferred the handling of the shorter VW and I much preferred the interior setup on the Touareg to the Audi. The dealer experience was also better with VW. If I wanted the extra length of the Q7, I would have been happy to pay the small price premium to get it.
The MSRP affixed to the 2015 Q7 TDI mid-trim Premium Plus that we purchased was US$65K -- not US$61K. That car before the recall was in such demand in Florida that the dealer would not come down off MSRP with a wait list. We never looked at the Prestige trim because the MSRP was in the $70Ks and I told the sales guy no thanks.

The cockpit of the Touareg is superior to the Q7, but the Q7 is a beast driving.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Loose foot pedals recall

I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal today and wondering if anyone has experienced this:

"Separately, the auto maker (VW) last week said it would recall more than 800,000 sport-utility vehicles made by its Volkswagen and Porsche brands because their foot pedals could become loose while driving.

The recall affects two of the company’s best-selling SUVs, impacting 409,477 Porsche Cayenne and 391,000 Volkswagen Touareg vehicles."

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Old news I'm afraid.

There are already other threads running on this from last week!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts

True but my response answered an earlier question which asked why the T3/Cayenne are impacted by the recall and not the the Q7...reason is because the Q7 is a generation back.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts