Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 diesel Touareg excessive oil usgage, dealer says its normal. I have had diesels all my life and have never used oil
used 0.7Lt first 9k then towed caravan for 2k and it used 0.8Lt. just had it serviced done 1000k and its dropped 2bars on the RNS already

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Some is normal.... what do you call excessive?
My '14 with 120k klicks on the clock had me worried a short while ago because it had dropped 2 bars on the RNS display only 5k after it's last oil change..... I went digging and found my drain plug was leaking.

Get them to remove the belly pans as you could potentially have a leak that doesn't quite make it all the way to the pavement..... mine was leaving small stains on the ground by the time I decided to rip things apart, but the pans were holding a lot of the puddles, and a significant amount had blown away and provided some undercoating to the rear half of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
V8 tdi- never had the oil level drop at all on the oil level gauge. Car gets serviced every 12,500km. Mainly city and freeway driving

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our 2014 was purchased with 30k km on it (abt 18 mths old). Now has 160k on it without any mishap. It had towed a reasonably big 2 horse float and has always used about 1.5 litres between services with normal use - mostly open road. It does use a bit more when towing the van (2900kg). VW have told us that it is the trade off for performance with a 3 litre motor. Oil is apparently burnt when the turbo is working hard - oil flow is imperative to assist the high rpm of turbo. $20 / $30 spent on oil between 15k km services doesn't really worry me. The performance and low fuel economy to achieve same more than makes up for a bit of oil use.
When buying used, you never really know what history the vehicle has. All motors are critical in the first few thousand km.
It would be interesting to know if the 3 litre motor in the Amarok is having the same issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds normal to me these engines do use a little bit of oil when new they will run in, if you are using Castrol it will burn oil when loaded keep an eye on it sure it will stop after a few kilometres our dealer left the oil in till 15000kms it stopped using oil after that
Regards Colin

·
Registered
235 Posts
The official VAG view on oil usage is that it is not excessive until the engine burns more than 1 litre per 1,000 miles.

Only at that point will they monitor oil consumption if you are under warranty.

:sick:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2017 7P used nothing for the first 30k and in just under 5k it dropped 3 bars on the info screen. I took it back to the (non genuine) workshop and had an additional 250ml added which recovered the missing bars. Didn't take much to scare the hell out of me.
Additionally the info screen is saying I need to do a oil change every 5k - is this normal or really required?
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I believe that the VW recommended oil change intervals are too high. For any Touareg Engine, I recommend either 5K or 6K changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , if your towing ld cut the change intervals in half to around 7-8k , in most service manuals this is considered as extreme conditions for oils and you risk it starting to shear
Also if your using oil that's ending up in your dpf in the end to be dealt with...... dpfs don't like excess carbon to deal with , also your egr and intake system will be more carbon loaded too
If your worried about costs , buy the recommended oil ( or better ) and filter and take it to a trusted mechanic to do ... shouldn't cost more than $100 in labour

And if your motors doing it hard remember the drive system will be too and will need more maintenance than usual

·
Registered
132 Posts
On our 7300 mile trip through the southwest the electronic level read low at one time and then several days late it was full again.
We were towing a 3000 lb Scamp trailer at the speed limit.
Later in the trip i added the rest of the 9th quart of LL03 Castrol oil and brought it back up to full on the display.
So It like towing around 7000 mile in a 10000 oil change interval it will have used about 1/3 of a quart overall.
To be more exact the fill I think is about 8 3/4 quarts and I put in about 8 1/2 and ended up adding the rest of the 1/2 quart before the oil change which is due in about 1400 miles or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts