Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought it's worth dedicating a thread on the night vision feature that we now get.
It's standard in the CR Wolfsburg edition.

Over the last few weeks have been trialling and testing how it works and it's effectiveness, so far it's quite impressive.
So much so I have decided not to install additional lights, lightbar for offroad, outback travels. The matrix headlights change direction and highlight subjects, humans, animals etc. The system will alert on screen, apply brake etc.

Here is a shot of what the night vision can see what the eyes and headlights don't help with...
Would be good to hear others experience..
Automotive tire Font Display device Tints and shades Electronic device

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
It is impressive, but not fool proof. The very first time I trialled it, my wife rang when I was about 100m down the road. While looking on the dash screen who was calling, I had taken my eyes off the road and the night vision screen was gone because someone was calling. Then almighty alarms and red flashing and brakes being applied went on and as I looked up and jamming the brakes myself, there were three roos bouncing across the road and as I screeched to a halt, I was about 30cm from hitting one. Phew. Lesson learnt. Don't take your eyes off the road. But, now that I've used the night vision for a few months now, it is very impressive on country drives. It will pick up roos a good 2km away you cannot see with the best spotlights. However, though dogs and sheep will be seen as white, the algorithms so far only show red boxes around cows, kangaroos and people. It's interesting seeing hot termite mounds and power pole transformers glowing in the dark. In the first few weeks of using night vision, I still wanted to go and get an LED light bar added to improve the lighting to the sides in the first 200m or so. However, I'm with Singh now that I have experience with the night vision, that plus the existing lights is definitely good enough. And of course with the cruise control on detecting cold objects on the road (like a dirty big trailer with no lights), I'm feeling a lot safer in this car than any previous car. This technology would save many lives and car wrecks if it was on everyones cars. And as learnt with the emergency braking for the roos, the brakes on this Touareg are so impressive on dirt or bitumen. Easily the best I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
371 Posts
Interestingly in the picture posted whilst the person in the distance to the right is highlighted, the person nearer and to the left is not.
I still love the technology!

·
Registered
2021 V8 TDi Wolfsburg
68 Posts
Interestingly in the picture posted whilst the person in the distance to the right is highlighted, the person nearer and to the left is not.
It's very clever because if a cow is walking to the fence as I am approaching, it will highlight it with a warning. But if the cow is on the fence and standing still or walking away, it does not highlight it but only shows it white with the heat detected.

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Believe it or not the algorithm is pretty advanced, it knows if the person, animal is coming your way or moving the other way!
It won't unnecessarily alert/highlight as you say if someone is walking away from the direction of travel, but you see them on screen for sure.
The person on the right is approaching the road and walking towards the road.

Reactions: gatkins

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is impressive, but not fool proof. The very first time I trialled it, my wife rang when I was about 100m down the road. While looking on the dash screen who was calling, I had taken my eyes off the road and the night vision screen was gone because someone was calling. Then almighty alarms and red flashing and brakes being applied went on and as I looked up and jamming the brakes myself, there were three roos bouncing across the road and as I screeched to a halt, I was about 30cm from hitting one. Phew. Lesson learnt. Don't take your eyes off the road. But, now that I've used the night vision for a few months now, it is very impressive on country drives. It will pick up roos a good 2km away you cannot see with the best spotlights. However, though dogs and sheep will be seen as white, the algorithms so far only show red boxes around cows, kangaroos and people. It's interesting seeing hot termite mounds and power pole transformers glowing in the dark. In the first few weeks of using night vision, I still wanted to go and get an LED light bar added to improve the lighting to the sides in the first 200m or so. However, I'm with Singh now that I have experience with the night vision, that plus the existing lights is definitely good enough. And of course with the cruise control on detecting cold objects on the road (like a dirty big trailer with no lights), I'm feeling a lot safer in this car than any previous car. This technology would save many lives and car wrecks if it was on everyones cars. And as learnt with the emergency braking for the roos, the brakes on this Touareg are so impressive on dirt or bitumen. Easily the best I've ever experienced.
Right said.
Btw even if you're on the phone and the mfi screen is not showing the night vision the system is still working and doing its thing in the background.
I need to mount a camera inside to capture how the headlights change and throw the beam onto the detected person, animal coming your way or when that box goes red and the gongs go off.
Pretty clever tech, assist feature to help with driving in such conditions.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
There's a lot of stuff on cars I don't want like SATNAV, electric windows, central locking, radio, telephone, sun roof, automatic wipers and lights, but reading these posts I wouldn't turn down night vision!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whilst we on the subject of the night vision my camera on the front of the car has had a rock go straight thru the centre of the front glass lens. The night vision is still working but the local VW dealer is wanting $9500.00 to install a new camera. I am not kidding.I was thinking of taking the car to windscreens O’Brien and see if they can replace the front lens. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
371 Posts
Whilst we on the subject of the night vision my camera on the front of the car has had a rock go straight thru the centre of the front glass lens.
Where is the camera located on the front of the car?

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Where is the camera located on the front of the car?
Just to the right of the centre VW logo. The lens is about size of a dollar coin
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,509 Posts
Whilst we on the subject of the night vision my camera on the front of the car has had a rock go straight thru the centre of the front glass lens. The night vision is still working but the local VW dealer is wanting $9500.00 to install a new camera. I am not kidding.I was thinking of taking the car to windscreens O’Brien and see if they can replace the front lens. Any suggestions.
Have you enquired thru your insurance? May cost you the excess....but worth a try.

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's outrageous.
Bit unlucky that the rock found the camera lens out of all the places!
Replacing the glass isn't easy from what I gather, firstly it's got the heating element that defrosts it and the spray jet by the side.
The type of glass used has to allow IR through without disruption.
Am pleased that the system is still working though!
Me thinks there should be shutter covering it so it's protected most times when not used.
Will have to look at applying Apple watch screen protector or something similar.

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
210 Posts
Insurance

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Quick search reveals kufatec selling complete night vision kit Inc camera cabling module etc etc for under 3k, so the camera would be about $1500 I say.
Will look into who manufactures the camera, surely it can be had for even cheaper.

Meanwhile, looks its straightforward to remove the NV camera from the grille, and more importantly the glass lens you have damaged is within a cover thats easily removable!
I'd remove that and replace the glass with a proper IR pass through glass cut according to size or there's various sizes available.
Lastly, you might want to search and see if you can buy just the cover/protection window/seal(renewable)

Rectangle Cylinder Font Output device Cameras & optics

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quick search reveals kufatec selling complete night vision kit Inc camera cabling module etc etc for under 3k, so the camera would be about $1500 I say.
Will look into who manufactures the camera, surely it can be had for even cheaper.

Meanwhile, looks its straightforward to remove the NV camera from the grille, and more importantly the glass lens you have damaged is within a cover thats easily removable!
I'd remove that and replace the glass with a proper IR pass through glass cut according to size or there's various sizes available.
Lastly, you might want to search and see if you can buy just the cover/protection window/seal(renewable)

View attachment 246540
I

View attachment 246540
I will check with V8 and see if they can supply just a lens cover replacement. I will ring my insurance company today as I do expect that it should be covered but I just think that the amount quoted today is totally ridiculous. Thanks Singh for checking if there is a lens cover replacement available. Regards Garry

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See how you go, going via insurance is an option but might end up costing more if all you have to do is just replace the piece of IR glass cover. new camera from vw and cost of it all only jacks up the premium for everyone.
Good luck with either option, keep us posted on how you go. Check with kufatec re the camera and or the cover, they are sourcing the original/oem from someone...

Reactions: gatkins

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
back to the night vision functionality; the feature is always on as you start the vehicle, it becomes active when its dark and the light switch is on/auto and within the temp. variation.
The warning function can be turned off in the settings or they deactivate when reversing or driving at less than 10km/h

·
Premium Member
MY21 V8 R-Line Grey
81 Posts
back to the night vision functionality; the feature is always on as you start the vehicle, it becomes active when its dark and the light switch is on/auto and within the temp. variation.
The warning function can be turned off in the settings or they deactivate when reversing or driving at less than 10km/h
The temp variation is a really good point @Singh. It doesn't function well (at all?) on warm nights. I think the handbook has the temp range. Worth bearing in mind if relying on it during summer.

·
Learner
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The temp variation is a really good point @Singh. It doesn't function well (at all?) on warm nights. I think the handbook has the temp range. Worth bearing in mind if relying on it during summer.
Hi Mate,
Have you had issues with the system turning off in summer/heat.
I haven't experienced any such issues with temp as high as under 20-25c in the evenings..will test it out in Sydney summer when evening temps are as high it needs to work...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts