Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I need some advice guys and gals, I am looking at buying a second hand Touareg as a 2nd car. I have found a good looking one that has done about 175,000 Klm. It's a 2007 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7L Auto 4XMOTION - the 165kW @ 4000rpm engine. The vehicle itself is clean well looked after and doesn't seem to have any issues. It comes with full log books and full service history.
It is being sold by a reputable dealership and comes with their roadworthy, dealer workshop testing and guarantee. Because of the distance I have to go to collect it (if bought) I will not have time to get a mechanic to check it out for me so I am relying on the dealership to not sell me a lemon.
I have done extensive research online in regards to the Touareg and have found nothing but good thoughts and be well comments in regards to the vehicle. I like it a lot. My major concern atm is a few comments I read about replacement parts and such.
I am a self supported retiree with a working wife. :) but really don't want to get caught up with a vehicle that is expensive to run and operate. This atm is the only thing that is stopping me putting the vehicle on hold and picking it up. I really do like this vehicle and love what it is capable of doing.
This is the advice I would like guys and gals - To buy or not to buy. Has the vehicle done to many Klm? Is there a major service I should be looking at ? what should I look for on visual inspection ? etc etc.
Any advice or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Touareg is generally not considered a good choice for people on a budget. While they are reliable for the most part, repairs can get costly.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
Welcome Bob,

Whereabouts are you located? Any link to the car you are looking at? Why have you decided on a Touareg (I am curious ;) ).

The Touareg can be an extremely reliable vehcile, if you do not go all economical on servicing, or items/issues that appear and you decide to ignore them because "hey, she still starts, still drives".

At 170k klms, it's just run in. As long as there is significant service history available.

We just traded ours in - 2007 V6 TDI, 230k klms on the clock. Pulled our caravan like a train. Some minor niggley electrical issues starting to creep in (creature comfort stuff) which were going to cost an arm and a leg to fix. I am approaching retirement and needed to start setting up our fleet for that next phase of life.

Any chance you could get an independent VW mechanic to inspect the car for you before buying it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Reliability aside, the cost of a major issue will be a significant concern to someone on a fixed budget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your advice and pointers - You have given me a lot to think about and looks like ill research a bit more - to all that responded I do appreciate it - thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello to all,
I need some advice guys and gals, I am looking at buying a second hand Touareg as a 2nd car. I have found a good looking one that has done about 175,000 Klm. It's a 2007 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7L Auto 4XMOTION - the 165kW @ 4000rpm engine. The vehicle itself is clean well looked after and doesn't seem to have any issues. It comes with full log books and full service history.
It is being sold by a reputable dealership and comes with their roadworthy, dealer workshop testing and guarantee. Because of the distance I have to go to collect it (if bought) I will not have time to get a mechanic to check it out for me so I am relying on the dealership to not sell me a lemon.
I have done extensive research online in regards to the Touareg and have found nothing but good thoughts and be well comments in regards to the vehicle. I like it a lot. My major concern atm is a few comments I read about replacement parts and such.
I am a self supported retiree with a working wife. :) but really don't want to get caught up with a vehicle that is expensive to run and operate. This atm is the only thing that is stopping me putting the vehicle on hold and picking it up. I really do like this vehicle and love what it is capable of doing.
This is the advice I would like guys and gals - To buy or not to buy. Has the vehicle done to many Klm? Is there a major service I should be looking at ? what should I look for on visual inspection ? etc etc.
Any advice or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
That sounds as a great deal! those models don't have DEF so ou don't have to worry about refilling it all the time and worry if the pump for that will fail at any time, which it can... Plus TDI engines are very reliable in general.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts