Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Names Nate. Long time VAG fan but first time Touareg owner. My wife and I have always loved the T1's and T2's however couldn't bring ourselves to eat the full asking price. These trucks represent a crazy amount of truck for the money so, It was finally time to purchase.
Just sourced a 2008 Galapagos grey T2 V8 FSI. The treg has a very clean, dealer serviced life and so far, we're loving every minute behind the wheel.
So far, I've already purchased new control arms (TRW) all the associated gaskets/o rings one would need to do carbon cleaning as well as treated her to 9+ liters of Liqui moly Leichtlauf 5-40 + Cera tec treatment. The Pirelli's that came on the truck (are damn brand new) are the wrong size so, I sourced a proper set of Bridgestone Duelers in 275-45-19. I also noticed a slight coolant leak, tracked it back to the coolant expansion tank so I replaced it with a Behr/Hella unit from FCP.
I appreciate in advance any help/insight you guy's may provide as I ain't shy to turn my own wrenches but will admit, With the Treg, Ill be learning on the fly. Haha!
Here is a few pics of the Touareg as well as my daily allroad. Thx!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very nice line-up. The T looks insanely good for its age. What's the fuel economy on the V8? If you want to say that I'm better off not knowing, I completely understand. But I'm sure it's damn fast.
How's the sound?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Both are very enjoyable to drive. Yes, the treg was seemingly very well taken care of, so far we are super stoked. I guess time will tell as far as the mechanicals but I'm not too concerned as I tend to be a bit of a maintenance freakshow. haha! Ya gotta stay on top of things.

The fuel economy is exactly what you'd think, rather poor. I was looking at the V8 more for smiles per gallon. We have a B6 (2.0tfsi) Passat for miles per gallon. Haha! The vehicle states approx. 17.6 mpg which to be honest, is a bit better than I expected.

The V8 is silky smooth, with awesome power delivery. It is rather sedate, very refined under normal driving conditions however does have a bit of a growl when ya step on it. I imagine it could sound INSANE with some exhaust work ,unfortunately, I don't think the wife will allow that quite yet.

It's definitely got some nuts! Doesn't quite seem like it weighs 5900lbs so the big V8 seems to be doing its job. I cant help but think the V6 would struggle a bit in this area but I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the 17.6mpg is based off of the treg's indicator of which has been proven to be reading high. Approx, 15mpg is prolly more accurate.

Haha! I'll be honest, this will prolly fall into the soccer mom, babied, category as this is my wife's vehicle. It will potentially see duty as a family hauler to the local slopes as well as see some time on some local streams but that most likely will be the extent of "using it". lol!

It actually started life as a Florida vehicle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
At first I read "TFSI" and was like "I wish they still had a V8 TFSI". But then, the T1 and T2 had no turbocharged engines, which is unfortunate. Yes, both the gasoline and Diesel V6 engines are damn lazy. I really wanted a T2 or T1 to sit next to my T3 since they are such beautiful cars but I can not find an engine that suits me. Such a shame there was no turbocharged version of the VR6. Or twincharged 3.0TDI for the T3, like the rivals have.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,420 Posts
At first I read "TFSI" and was like "I wish they still had a V8 TFSI". But then, the T1 and T2 had no turbocharged engines, which is unfortunate. Yes, both the gasoline and Diesel V6 engines are damn lazy. I really wanted a T2 or T1 to sit next to my T3 since they are such beautiful cars but I can not find an engine that suits me. Such a shame there was no turbocharged version of the VR6. Or twincharged 3.0TDI for the T3, like the rivals have.
The Touareg has to leave room in the market place for the Cayenne.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Cayenne is ugly (especially on the inside) and draws attention. Screw it, I'll just tune the crap out of my V6 TDI. With Cayenne tailpipes of course.
And I love those older guys driving a brand new Cayenne with nice suits and stuff in my city.
*looks really rich and important*
*oh look, the back says Cayenne Diesel-"impressive*

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to agree. The interior of the Cayenne is freaking atrocious. Especially the steering wheel. I feel the exterior design of the GTS is pretty bad ass though.

I think VW did a pretty rad job on the T1's and T2's when it comes to the engine options. Sure Europe has a few options I'd give my left testicle for, but up to 2010, there seems to be an engine to suit everyones needs. I cant really speak on the newer T3's since our focus was on the 2008-2009's.

The thought of purchasing the V10 had passed my mind for the simple fact that its totally badass, however I have no intentions of ever towing anything and besides, the V8 should be difficult enough to work on. Haha!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe you guys can help me. I recently noticed some oil droplets gathering on the passenger side lower control arm area/transmission pan area. It would seem like its potentially coming from somewhere above that area. Is there anything I should be looking for that may be prone to leaking just above that area on the passenger side of the engine?

Any insight would be hugely appreciated as its something i'd like to get to the bottom of sooner rather than later. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys. Names Nate. Long time VAG fan but first time Touareg owner. My wife and I have always loved the T1's and T2's however couldn't bring ourselves to eat the full asking price. These trucks represent a crazy amount of truck for the money so, It was finally time to purchase.
Just sourced a 2008 Galapagos grey T2 V8 FSI. The treg has a very clean, dealer serviced life and so far, we're loving every minute behind the wheel.
So far, I've already purchased new control arms (TRW) all the associated gaskets/o rings one would need to do carbon cleaning as well as treated her to 9+ liters of Liqui moly Leichtlauf 5-40 + Cera tec treatment. The Pirelli's that came on the truck (are damn brand new) are the wrong size so, I sourced a proper set of Bridgestone Duelers in 275-45-19. I also noticed a slight coolant leak, tracked it back to the coolant expansion tank so I replaced it with a Behr/Hella unit from FCP.
I appreciate in advance any help/insight you guy's may provide as I ain't shy to turn my own wrenches but will admit, With the Treg, Ill be learning on the fly. Haha!
Here is a few pics of the Touareg as well as my daily allroad. Thx!
Congratulations on your purchase. Repair manuals are available on Ebay (admittingly copies) for about $15.00. Your greatest gift to this car would be a vag-com. Armed with this great forum you'd give this car a long life. Mine is a 2004 with 153k on the clock, the more I drive it and work on it the more I am convinced that this car is going nowhere for a long time.

Z747pilot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! Yes sir, I already have 2 VCDS cables actually. A KII USB cable for vehicles up to 2006, as well as the new variant from Ross-tech (3 vin's) for 2006 vehicles- present.

That is the goal, to keep this car for long time to come. Will not be shy to tap into the experienced Touareg guru's on this forums minds.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Maybe you guys can help me. I recently noticed some oil droplets gathering on the passenger side lower control arm area/transmission pan area. It would seem like its potentially coming from somewhere above that area. Is there anything I should be looking for that may be prone to leaking just above that area on the passenger side of the engine?

Any insight would be hugely appreciated as its something i'd like to get to the bottom of sooner rather than later. Thanks!
By mentioning trans pan area do you think oil is coming from back side of engine?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It may be, at least that's my hope. It's gathering by the passenger side lower control arm/transmission pan which is obviously the lowest point. I do see some drips on the tranny lines a bit higher up on passenger side as well, leading me to believe the leak may be originating higher up.

I had read the PCV can have a tendency to leak over time but I would think (but very well my be wrong) that due to the placement of the pcv, it would be present on drivers side as well. As of now, the drivers side is bone dry.

Potentially a bad pass. side valve cover?

Any insight is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thx! N8

·
Registered
763 Posts
Could be adjustable camshaft valves or valve. There are 2 per side right on top, they have O rings that flatten out and get very brittle. Easy change out, 1 torx screw and pull straight out. Mine were leaking on both FSI's. Going to the shop now to change wife's valve cover gaskets. I will take pictures of adj. camshaft valves and post later. Mtnride

·
Registered
763 Posts
1st pic is lower adj. camshaft valve (exhaust)located next to coil pack closet to firewall. Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Vehicle

4th pic is ACV with ORing that goes bad. To remove unscrew 1 torx screw grab a pair of pliers and wiggle and pull straight out, be careful not to drop screw Auto part Suspension part Automotive engine part

Hope this helps ~ Mtnride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Order of pictures is from the bottom up

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This should prove to be very helpful. Above and beyond. Thx!

Do you think an up close visual inspection could rule these out as the culprit? Maybe I should just be proactive and replace from a maintenance standpoint? You wouldn't happen to have a part #?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.