Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. First post here. I bought a 2004 V6 3.2 Treg with air suspension to use it for like 4 weeks or so in a year. The rest of the year the TReg will be sitting in a garage. What is the best option to preserve the tires? I thought of two options:
1. Buy 4 standard wheels and 4 used or low-budget tires and mount them when the TReg is sleeping in the garage.
2. Jack the TReg and let it rest on 4 jack stands.
If option 2 is better (no tire changing hassle) then is it possible to use the air suspension to lift it up, put the jack stands and let it come down easily on the jack stands? Will this not damage or harm the air suspension for the long run. I intend to keep the TReg as long as possible.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Buy a set of 4 curved wheel rests. You drive the car onto them and they are the same curve as the tires. Over inflate the tires by 5 psi.

However this will not address all the other issues that arise from long term storage.

By far the best way to keep the car in good order is to get someone to drive it at least 30 miles each week.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips guys. I don't really have the posibility to have someone drive it. I'm more concerned about the tires than the engine though. The engine be started and left idling for a few minutes. I'm more concerned about the tires.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
You will need to attach a battery tender to keep the battery up to spec and lock the car and keep the keys somewhere well away from it otherwise you will have a flat battery and will not be able to get into the car.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Starting the engine for ONLY a few minutes once in a while will do MORE harm than good!!!!

If someone is there to start the engine every now and then have them take it for a nice 30 minute drive once a month.

X2 RE the air suspension. It will not lift the tires "up" if the rest of the vehicle is supported on stands.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Totally agree on the monthly engine start up - that is a VERY BAD idea.

Leaving a modern car doing nothing for 48 weeks and expecting it to fire up and give you good service without expecting any issues is simply not on.

The tyres are the least of your worries!

The seals in the air con system need the regular lubrication effected by running the system weekly or they will dry out and then you could be looking at an expensive new compressor and dryer.

You'd be better off hiring a car on arrival for your 4 week stay.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So a 30 mn drive once in a month would take care of keeping the TReg in shape?
I forgot to mention it is a petrol engine, the V6 3.2.
I bought it for the peace of mind during my vacations. I plan to use a trickle charger for the battery.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to sum up the measures to keep the TReg in good shape:
1. Fill up the tank
2. Add some fuel additive => no idea which one to use. Not sure it's a good measure since I think I'll get someone to drive the Treg once a month for some 20 km.
3. Use a battery trickle charger. The charger will be connected to the terminals in the engine bay. Not sure how to keep it connected with the hood closed. I'll have to look into this.
3. Inflate the tires properly. I have 255/55/R18. How many psi should I add to the spec inflation to keep the tires from developping flat spots or cracks.
4. Have someone drive it for some 20 km a month
5. The hand brake will not be engaged. The Treg will stay in Parking mode with wheel chocks even if the floor is level.

The Treg will be cleaned and dryed properly before storage. It will be sleeping in a closed garage.

Do I keep the air suspension in Auto mode or do I put it in loading mode ?
ANy other steps to have a eternal sharp TReg :)

·
Registered
20,262 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back here again :)
With a 40 km run every month do you think a fuel stabiizer is needed. I did some research and sta-bil seems a good choice. Some guys even advice using the marine version instead of the red one !!
I will be keeping the tank full even with 40km monthly or so run.
And I'm seriously thinking of putting the Treg on jack stands. I will have to find the right jack spots to prevent chassis distortion if such a thing is applicable to the Touareg.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying to figure out in what mode the air suspension shoud be in when the Treg is sitting for a month in the garage. Should it be lowered then locked in jack mode or just left alone in Auto mode? Treg will be connected to a Ctek battery charger. I don't have the user manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.