·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17499 - Mixture Regulation; Bank 2; Range 1: Rich Limit Exceeded
P1091 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
17573 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1: System too Rich
P1165 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

I did some reading on the rosstech site.
I will replace the MAF soon after some tests.
If you have other hints please add them here.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some searching I suspect this is due to the valve cover gasket. Like I mention in another thread I replaced the spark plugs and found the old ones are all burned and have oil on them. So If the gasket is leaking oil then this might explain the ecu compensating with more fuel which results the system running too rich and burning the spark plugs. Let's see what happens when I replace the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the pcv yesterday and the error has not shown up so far. I did a test drive and usually the error would pop up after a hard acceleration. Sometimes engine light comes on. I found out the old pcv was somewhat hacked with a heater hose. The previous owner didn't replace the whole unit when the pcv hose broke. He just cut off the hard hose and used a rubber hose with clamps. I also found a lot of soot on the hose inlet port. I will open up the old pcv to check the internals. I will do more tests with the new pcv and report back.
By the way I used a Chinese version of the pcv. I didn't know about the pcv hack before the Chinese one. I just wanted to troubleshoot the issue with a 28$ piece instead of buying the oem one at 140$. The Chinese one on aliexpress has some good feedback. I will see how long it lasts. Next step is replacing the valve cover gasket and the spark plug seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue is still here. Next step: intake vacuum hoses replacement.
Here is a pic of a rolling vcds scan.
Bank 1 and bank 2 are showing value exceeding the default thresholds of -10/+10. Above negative 25% you get the too rich MIL. Above 25% positive you get the too lean MIL.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone willing to do a rolling/driving vcds log to help with the troubleshooting please?
here are the measure blocks to log:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some additional research and it seems like the Evap valve can also responsable for lean/rich condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got this guy to test and see if the rich mixture is caused by this guy leaking too much fuel vapors in the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know what RANGE 1 means here, please?
I've seen posts with range 2 also.

Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1: System too Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
1 Participant
TRespect
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing