Club Touareg Forum banner
421 - 428 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks to me as though 275/55/20 weigh about 44 lbs per tire, whereas the stock 275/45/20s weigh about 36 lbs each. Not a small difference! I expect this is noticeable in every way. Ride, handling, efficiency and power. I'd be inclined to look at 275/50/20s. There are a few options out there for that size as well.

·
Registered
2011 Execuline TDI - Toffee Brown Metallic
54 Posts
Looks to me as though 275/55/20 weigh about 44 lbs per tire, whereas the stock 275/45/20s weigh about 36 lbs each. Not a small difference! I expect this is noticeable in every way. Ride, handling, efficiency and power. I'd be inclined to look at 275/50/20s. There are a few options out there for that size as well.

Your comments are reflective of my experience, both positive and negative. The Treg rides like a larger vehicle with these tires, which has many positives, but also the negatives noted. I don't have a good baseline on fuel economy as I installed these shortly after acquiring my Touareg, but my sense is they are impacting fuel economy, particularly in town. I get about 11 L/100Km (21.5 mpg US) combined. Measured by actual distance and fuel. I have factored in tire size and adjusted km accordingly.

Not a lot of 275/50/20s available in an XL rated tire.

·
Premium Member
2014 Touareg V6 TDI // Hyperchips Remap // Match PnP Audio Upgrade
17 Posts
I bit the bullet and went for the Yokohama Geolander AT G015 275/55R20...

Have a 2014 TDI with Air Suspension (all stock). The previous rubber was Kuhmo AT 265/50R20 and had no issues whatsoever over 50,000 kms.

To say that the fit of the 275/55R20 is snug is spot on. Have only driven about 30km but so far no rubbing driving regular highway, suburbs, corners, speedbumps.

I did notice a little bit of rubbing when I reversed out of my driveway in 1/2 to full lock - out of my driveway with the rear pushing up a hill (so the front of the car lower, taking more weight). But only ever so slightly.

Other than that, it seems all good.

Running in Normal air suspension mode. Will run it in for the next week or so and see how Sports mode suspension goes and then report back.

Thanks for all the information - a couple of posts in here pushed me to move up to the 275/55R20 - so thanks!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently Purchased a 2011 touareg vr6, it has a scale suspension installed 04-10 coil over. it has 19 inch wheels currently. would like some bigger tires on there wasn't sure how wide i could go without any rubbing.

·
Registered
2011 Execuline TDI - Toffee Brown Metallic
54 Posts
UPDATE: 275/55/20

No rubbingh at first but 2 months in and I am now getting rubbing at 1/2 lock in reverse. Rubs on the TDI vents. Will run for another month until I swap out for the snow tires. Will revert to a smaller tire in the spring. I must say they do look good

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little late to the party, but we bought our 2017 Wolfsburg back in June. Came with the 18x8 et 43 OZ Canyons with 265/60r18 BFGs. Ran fine, no issues, just didn't like the look of it. So I went ahead and fitted 18x9 et 25 Alpha Echo wheels on it with 265/65r18 Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts originally. The Pirelli's rubbed so bad, they only lasted a week before I had them switched out. Now running 255/65r18 Falken Wildpeak Trail A/T on there. No rubbing issues at all.
Also had a local vinyl guy do a chrome delete on most of the vehicle.
Here are the before and after pics.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Sky Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

421 - 428 of 428 Posts