Club Touareg Forum banner
381 - 400 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Touareg TDI Sport
25 Posts
I mentioned this in a previous post but the amount of weight gained when getting larger wheels may seem insignificant but when you consider it's unsprung weight the impact on performance is much, much more noticeable.

Those are big heavy tires.

Your, acceleration, power steering, esp response, hill start and gearing is going to be somewhat affected especially when going down a mountain.

I have Falken Wildpeak 255/65 18 on my VR6 2011. It looks great but it's slower, steering is sluggish, hill start lags and gearing feels off.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with ESP but I wouldn't be shocked if I did.
Some of that can be attributed to the ecm thinking the tire size is proper and it’s shifting later than intended. Correcting that should resolve this issue to a point. Regearing would be the ultimate fix. Yours being a VR6 is low on torque in comparison to the diesel so this I can see being more noticeable.
the steering and other components shouldn’t have much of an issue because there is a range of wheels and their weights available for these. So there is a likely 20lb difference just in the lightest wheel to the heaviest wheel in production. It’s not ideal at all but that shouldn’t have a massive impact on the performance. It might feel like it does but that may result in. .10-.30 change on the road. I think my issue is the alignment after taking to another member on here. So that will get checked tomorrow and we’ll see if that resolves my issue. Plenty of other guys are running this tire and have zero issues.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg TDI Sport
25 Posts
My alignment guy suggested I reset the steering angle sensor, I’m gonna try that first, makes a lot of sense!

·
Registered
2011 Touareg TDI Sport
25 Posts

well we figured out the issue!!! Something had to have come loose to allow that rear alignment to go out of wack!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I mentioned this in a previous post but the amount of weight gained when getting larger wheels may seem insignificant but when you consider it's unsprung weight the impact on performance is much, much more noticeable.

Those are big heavy tires.

Your, acceleration, power steering, esp response, hill start and gearing is going to be somewhat affected especially when going down a mountain.

I have Falken Wildpeak 255/65 18 on my VR6 2011. It looks great but it's slower, steering is sluggish, hill start lags and gearing feels off.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with ESP but I wouldn't be shocked if I did.
i have not had any issues at all and my tires are much bigger then both yours...steers the same...handles great...no esp or lack of power...but i have a tdi so.

Reactions: Fortifysteve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really interested in the access piece for Ride Height. Please keep us posted.
OK. Got access via vcds today at service of the car.

Accesscode for module 34 on touareg 7p is: 210673.

And yes. It is very easy to modify the ride height. Just decrease the target value for the ride height and the car will compensate as soon as you set yes to "ride height modified"

I started with a 10mm increase not to trigger any alarms.

Problem is: if you raise the car, it will not stop running the compressor if you put it in "special offroad" because it does not not reach the target value for that setting, so if you set the height to be higher than stock, you will burn your compressor if you put it in "special offroad"

If you happen to do this anyway and **** it up, measure from center of the rim to the edge of the fender (vertical). Then simply put in the actual values in mm that you measured and the car will return to stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh wow thanks for clearing that up TonyB, got into trouble back in WA for larger tyres on the bmw x5 and it was because it was "All Wheel Drive" and not 4x4 as the cop asked, the link you provided shows the X5 is indeed an MA and not MC, whilst the touareg is MC, cop made it sound like only true 4x4's are MC, I shoulda had a better google. Thanks mate looks like I'm picking up the 265/50's as the 270/55's will increase the diameter by 50-something-mm which would be legal here in NSW but not in QLD when I move up. Thanks for the spoonfeed Tony, really I shoulda researched better.
how did the tires end up fitting? I want to do the same but not 100% sure it'll fit haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
selling these if anyone is interested in the SEPA area.
Cooper zeon LTZ tires. All terrain tires. Set of 4.
285/50/20 size. Still plenty of tread left

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey everybody, it’s been awhile, I have a lot of pages to go through and catch up but check out this story...

Remember I settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3 in 265/60/18 on the MSW wheels. I still love them months later. They look awesome and perform great under all conditions, rain, snow, cornering, speeding, etc with only about 2-3 MPG loss.

Last month we were stuck on i40 in Williams/AZ for 2 hours headed to Flagstaff because of a bad storm. I ended up towing another pick up about 4 miles off to an exit. In Flagstaff I did a couple of donuts or attempted to, some hard turns and hard breaking and accelerating in snow and ice and these tires performed beautifully. It was fun and never unpredictable. So that’s my stamp of approval for these tires.

Unfortunately, I chickened out of the Devil’s Bridge off-road trail in Sedona. I don’t have skid plates nor step guard runners and I didn’t have the courage to go past the first foot tall rocks at the entrance. I sort of regret not getting the 285/60/18 like TexLee has. The extra 1 1/2” would have been as much clearance as a wrangler. But next year I’m definitely upgrading... if... I keep the car... I might have an HPFP grenade looming. I made a post about it today. I would really appreciate you guys checking it out and giving out some advice/opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there no rubbing going to 275 55 20? I currently run 275 45 20 and would like to change you

I'm going to change my 275/40/20 Michelin highway tires to 275/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I'm excited for the look and increase in clearance. Reading that the Ridge Grapplers are very quiet on highway. Hoping the relatively low profile will keep handling and economy decent.

·
Registered
2016 VW Touareg V6 TDI Executive, Dark Flint Metallic/Anthracite
17 Posts
It’s close but does not touch under normal driving conditions. Off-roading it would touch a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up some used wheels like yours for cheap and just got the same size and brand tire. I also have a 2016 TDI Lux so good to see these clear. So around town and driving to trails, no issue? Just under articulation? Any articulation? Or full? Depends? I'm assuming it just depends. I don't want to lift my Touareg at all so may have to heat those up a bit where they rub. Did you notice any significant MPG loss since they are such a heavy tire? These will be my offroad/winter tires so just curious. Lot's of questions...I know. HAHA Looks GREAT tho!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes. Normal day to day driving no issues. As far as off-road articulation is going to depend on the trail and what you’re doing. But even then, I’m not talking about major rubbing. It’s just minor contact no damage really. I’ve attached photos of my fender liners when I installed the 2 in lift and you can see the minor scuff marks from tire contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Execuline TDI - Toffee Brown Metallic
48 Posts
275/55/ 20
31.9"
2011 TDI Execuline

Long time lurker. Finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2011 TDI Execuline. Had almost new snow tires on 20" Pike Peak rims so I needed tires now. I searched for 17 and 18" OEM rims locally. Nothing available . Had a friend with a set of 275 55 20 Bridgestone Duellers that he was not using. Not alot of tread left, but enough to pass government safety inspection. Perfect set to do a trial fit before buying new.

Would never have attempted this large without having read this entire thread. Big props to @ncburch22 who had reported a fit on the same size.

They fit and no rubbing on full or half lock: forward or reverse. I dont have a baseline reference to compare the drive as it had 275 45 20 snow tires on when I took delivery. The drive is definetely more truck like. Reminds me of my former 2004 4Runner. The truck I never should have sold.

Will decide in the next week whether to buy new tires in this size or stock size.
IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0443.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpeg

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You may already be aware but don't forget your speedometer will read a max of 5.8% slower (based on new tyre's 10.3mm tread depth or less, depending on how worn your tyres are) than your actual speed.
I don't think your size would fit the Gen1 (04-10) diesel Tregs without rubbing but would be happy to be wrong if someone could confirm otherwise.

TonyB

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to correct the speedo for larger size tires?

·
Registered
2011 Execuline TDI - Toffee Brown Metallic
48 Posts
I checked the speedo with gps. It appears to be 5% off. Speedometer reads 100 km/h, but actual speed = 105 km/h.

I really like the look. Jury still out on the ride. Hard to evaluate without good baseline comparison per note above.

381 - 400 of 417 Posts