Club Touareg Forum banner
361 - 380 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never thought on it. But I could use my 17" winter rims instead, those tyres are also done... So I could go 265/70R17 instead and get a 31.7" wheel. It's like 5mm over my measured max, I guess that can be solve with some heat gun..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some updates: I got hold of a 265/70R17 Tyre from a scrapyard for test-fitting. Now I only need a spare 17" rim as the ones I have are currently on the car due to winter roads here. So I will be testing this out as soon as I can. I believe I need a 30mm spacer at least to clear the upper control arm. But we will see. I'll let you know and post some pics when I have tested!

·
Registered
120 Posts
265/70/17 on a OEM 17x7.5 et55. No lift in these photos. Only rub at full lock under suspension articulation. Under normal driving conditions, no rub at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
265/70/17 on a OEM 17x7.5 et55. No lift in these photos. Only rub at full lock under suspension articulation. Under normal driving conditions, no rub at all.

Wait.. What.. Can you please attach photos of how close it is to rub in 50% and 100% steering?

3 more questions:
1. Do you have face-lift model of 7p body?
2. Air-suspension?
3. TDI?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made a simple template from wood that represents the increase in radius and width. And took some measurements and I also had the template run across the tire surface with the wheels turned in different degrees.

The wooden template is 265mm wide and there are 235mm between the screws, and I cannot see how you fit 31.7 tires. But obviously you do.

Tires are not 90 degrees straight in the corners, but I get interference with my template when testing, it's not much but enough in the front of the wheel house towards the intercoolers. I am also uncomfortable close to the upper control arm.

Another question, can you measure how "long/wide" your front wheel house is? (end to end in driving direction). I think maybe it's bigger on the face-lift model?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wait.. What.. Can you please attach photos of how close it is to rub in 50% and 100% steering?

3 more questions:
1. Do you have face-lift model of 7p body?
2. Air-suspension?
3. TDI?
2016 tdi Lux. No air suspension. Yes facelift.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It’s close but does not touch under normal driving conditions. Off-roading it would touch a little.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I made a simple template from wood that represents the increase in radius and width. And took some measurements and I also had the template run across the tire surface with the wheels turned in different degrees.

The wooden template is 265mm wide and there are 235mm between the screws, and I cannot see how you fit 31.7 tires. But obviously you do.

Tires are not 90 degrees straight in the corners, but I get interference with my template when testing, it's not much but enough in the front of the wheel house towards the intercoolers. I am also uncomfortable close to the upper control arm.

Another question, can you measure how "long/wide" your front wheel house is? (end to end in driving direction). I think maybe it's bigger on the face-lift model?
Please my comments a few posts above. Wheel offset plays a big role on the tire rubbing both the front plastic wheel arch and the carpeted rear portion of the wheel liner.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I never understood why people insist on messing with wheel setups if they don't comprehend offsets and rim sizes.... tire size alone isn't everything

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please my comments a few posts above. Wheel offset plays a big role on the tire rubbing both the front plastic wheel arch and the carpeted rear portion of the wheel liner.

Yes, of course. Lower offset makes your wheels come further from the spindle making it turning in a bigger radius than if the center point of the wheel is aligned with the center of the spindle. A lower offset will render in a bigger motion, increasing the chance of rubbing on full wheel lock. The same is true if you have to high offset as well, but then you are probably hitting the inside of the wheel house towards the engine before you rub against the other surfaces. Ideally you would want the center of the circumference of the tire to line up with the center of the spindle, then your rotation point of the tire will be truly ideal in terms of wear and the possibility to allow for maximum movement.

So yes, I understand the geometrics, I didn't think that 265/70R17 was possible on my car until I saw that you had it. But I have simulated and measured it whit all the complex geometry of the tire sidewall. I just made it simple with 90 degrees on my template.

Anyway.

I'm waiting for a chance to test mount a tire in above mentioned dimensions. I want to see the clearance in detail and decide how to proceed.

I also trying with a new security access code for my air suspension controller and see if I can modify the ride height

·
Registered
2013, 7P
82 Posts
Yes, of course. Lower offset makes your wheels come further from the spindle making it turning in a bigger radius than if the center point of the wheel is aligned with the center of the spindle. A lower offset will render in a bigger motion, increasing the chance of rubbing on full wheel lock. The same is true if you have to high offset as well, but then you are probably hitting the inside of the wheel house towards the engine before you rub against the other surfaces. Ideally you would want the center of the circumference of the tire to line up with the center of the spindle, then your rotation point of the tire will be truly ideal in terms of wear and the possibility to allow for maximum movement.

So yes, I understand the geometrics, I didn't think that 265/70R17 was possible on my car until I saw that you had it. But I have simulated and measured it whit all the complex geometry of the tire sidewall. I just made it simple with 90 degrees on my template.

Anyway.

I'm waiting for a chance to test mount a tire in above mentioned dimensions. I want to see the clearance in detail and decide how to proceed.

I also trying with a new security access code for my air suspension controller and see if I can modify the ride height

Really interested in the access piece for Ride Height. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok. I have now made a test-mount with a 265/70R17 on T3 Tdi with stock air suspension on a 7" wide rim that has ET50.

On any suspension setting lower than offroad it will rub when turning 50% or more. Hence you could run it as the car rises to offroad automatically if you have it selected. It will lower to normal at 70km/h and revert back when you reach 40km/h. But for me this is not a good solution. I want to be able to use all settings and will probably go for a 265/65R17. Even 275/65R17 will be to big I think. It will only give me 5mm in clearance, and that's a bit to close for comfort. On the picture showing that it clears, suspension is set to offroad height.

See pictures below. For comparison, my stock winter tire is a 235/65R17. Sorry for the dirty car, but everything is wet and filthy during this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the information shared in this post is extremely helpful -- thank you all for that! :)

I have a 14 TDI R-Line and the stock wheel size is 275/45/R20 [29.7'' diameter] and weighs 35LBS/Tire.
I need to replace the tires and have narrowed my choices down to 2 specs:

1. Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 255/55R20 [31" diameter - 40LBS]
2. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT275/55R20 [31.9" diameter - 10 Ply & E loading - 55LBS] however 35% more expensive than option 1

My heart says AT3 XLT but my sanity raises these questions:
  • Will the Discoverer AT3 LT tires fit my vehicle? (Somewhere in the thread it was mentioned that a TDI has 275/55/20 BFG KO2 LT tires without rubbing?)
  • Will the extra weight (20LBS / Tire!) from AT3 cause handling issues / stress issues with the rotors / suspension system?
  • Do the benefits from the LT tires (thicker wall, higher PSI...) outweigh the 35% price difference between?
Kindly share your thoughts?
Want to update folks here on my final build:
I end up choosing Toyo A/T3 265/50/20 [30.5'' diameter, 111T load rating, about 40 LBS / Tire]

Reasons for the last-minute change:
1. Different reviews from Youtube, other forums all seem to suggest Toyo AT3 are nice.
2. Closer to the factory spec - no rubbing/worries about unsprung weight... etc.
3. Of all the Toyo AT3 tire specs that fit my car, the MSRP ($198 / Tire) for this spec 265/50/20 hits the sweet spot.
4. During Black Friday, TB offered a $160 ($60 instant rebate + $100 mail-in Visa) promotion on Toyo tires so that sweetened the deal even more.

Due to the increase in tire diameter, the actual speed is around 3% more than what's on the reading. It should not cause great concern but please do consider that when you upgrade to an even larger set of tires.

·
Registered
479 Posts
still rocking the 285/70/17 ......waiting on subframe drop then bigger

Reactions: Geekwgn

·
Registered
2011 Touareg TDI Sport
25 Posts
I just got 265/60/18 fallen at3w on and it’s making the esp go off on any sort of turn coming down the mountain. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
56 Posts
selling these if anyone is interested in the SEPA area.
Cooper zeon LTZ tires. All terrain tires. Set of 4.
285/50/20 size. Still plenty of tread left

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got 265/60/18 fallen at3w on and it’s making the esp go off on any sort of turn coming down the mountain. Anyone else have this issue?
I mentioned this in a previous post but the amount of weight gained when getting larger wheels may seem insignificant but when you consider it's unsprung weight the impact on performance is much, much more noticeable.

Those are big heavy tires.

Your, acceleration, power steering, esp response, hill start and gearing is going to be somewhat affected especially when going down a mountain.

I have Falken Wildpeak 255/65 18 on my VR6 2011. It looks great but it's slower, steering is sluggish, hill start lags and gearing feels off.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with ESP but I wouldn't be shocked if I did.

361 - 380 of 417 Posts