Club Touareg Forum banner

301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
These are getting mounted this week. Just waiting on tpms sensors and my wheel stud conversion
285/50/20 coopers
20x9 et45 Rohana RF2

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
What kind of coopers are they? How do they handle so far? Comfort, noise, performance, snow, rain? Nice looking car. I like the Rohanas

·
Registered
25 Posts
What do you mean with fast driving? It's not really a car for the track
Im not sure where you got fast driving and track from 🧐 unless you’re referring to my comment on page 15?

I’m asking about the performance. If they’re mushy, if they’re too soft, if they handle corners on 45 mph exits on highways (posted 45MPH limit). I’m not going to take the car to the track but I drive in states where the speed limit is 70, 75, 80 MPH and I want to know if they’re stable and comfortable.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
79 Posts
Has anyone run nitto ridge grapplers in 265/65 18?

Was going to get the terra grapplers, but turns out the ridge grapplers gets better results on and off road.

·
Registered
T3 - 2012 3.6L VR6
27 Posts
This is an oversized tyre thread, very active, don't mind if I ask some questions related to all this.

Original setup - 275/45R20 (29.7" diameter)
Upgraded setup - 275/50R20 (30.8" diameter)

I did this for varied reasons, major one was for better comfort while still preserving same 20" rims.

Q1. The spare we have is the space saving collapsible. It's spec'd to 29.7" diameter. Does this render it useless as spare ? I do carry tire puncture strings, mounting tool etc as added precaution.

Q2. Or on a limping basis with an undersized space saving tyre, can we drive at dead slow speeds to nearest tyre repair shop to repair or change the damaged tyre ? What is the tolerance of the drivetrain on this, speed, distance and potential damage.

I don't do offroad driving. Puncture on trunk roads, use tyre strings or remove tyre to nearest repair shop. For freeways, this is an issue. Only tow support.

·
Registered
2013 T3 Sport V6
43 Posts
I had to run the spare with "oversized tires", 30" overall, the other day. The traction control kicked on a couple times, but I never felt ant actual loss of grip. I kept it at the advised 55mph limit and had no problems on my 20 mile drive back home on a windy mountain road. I don't think I would push the limits with it...

As for q2 I will defer to someone more experienced than I.

·
Registered
T3 - 2012 3.6L VR6
27 Posts
I had to run the spare with "oversized tires", 30" overall, the other day. The traction control kicked on a couple times, but I never felt ant actual loss of grip. I kept it at the advised 55mph limit and had no problems on my 20 mile drive back home on a windy mountain road. I don't think I would push the limits with it...

As for q2 I will defer to someone more experienced than I.
Thanks for this update. Does not seem like your drivetrain took any damage.
You also gave me a new idea. I can drop the remaining 3 tyres to 20 psi which reduces its diameter. And "limp" slowly to tyre shop to repair/change the faulty tyre.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mounted 275/55r20 to factory wheel. Measures 31.9”, for the naysayers. No fitment issues whatsoever. Discount Tire initially refused to even attempt to mount them claiming they would not fit. The shop guys saying this were all of 17-19 years old. Told them to do it anyhow. The look on their faces when I drove away without any rubbing problems..

Falken Wildpeak AT3w. View attachment 235305
Do you think a lower offset would still fit with a 31.9”? You have the OEM 20x9 et57? I’m thinking of going with a 20x9 or 20x9.5 with an offset between 45-50.

But I think a wheel that pokes out 10-20 mm will respectively be 10-20 mm closer to the plastic liner when turning the wheel fully inwards (example: outer right tire turning steering wheel to the left, outer left tire turning steers by wheel to the right)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure if anyone has put up this link but it's a great resource: www.wheel-size.com

You can look up all standard fitments on the "Alloy Wheel Size" page, then transfer your information to the "Tire Calculator" page and play with different tire widths, profiles, rim diameter, offset, speed change, etc. It will give you all of the specs and whether it might cause issues, including scrub differences.

I've driven a T3 with 295/40/21s on the standard rims and there was no issue. I've got a set of 22x10 et 50 rims currently mounted with 285/35s and will either move to 285/40/22 or 305/35/22 next time round.

Oz

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post here, but have gathered so much useful information from this thread.

I recently upgraded my stock Black 2011 VR6 Sport Touareg, 8 speed automatic, to MSW 19T 18 inch all black rims and 255/65 r18 Falken Wildpeak A/Ts. Bought from tire rack for $1850 mounted with new TPMs.

They don't rub and look really, really great VS stock.

Couple of things I've noticed;
  1. Reduced power - not huge but noticeable. Hoping a unitronic tune next week could fix that, bumps to roughly 304hp and 290lbs torque.
  2. Steering is quite a lot heavier.
  3. New TPMs haven't managed to register yet. Light still on, one sensor not showing a reading.
  4. The one inch lift makes the Touareg feel noticeably taller, which is awesome.
I am now worried have made a huge mistake.

These tires weigh 41lbs, about 6lbs heavier than most stock tires, this seems like a little but in reality is a huge amount of "unsprung" weight gain.

Consensus on the web seems to be that adding this weight and increasing the wheel diameter by 2 inches, 29/31 is a fantastic way to slowly destroy your transmission and drive train components.

After digging deeper into the science and potential mechanical pitfalls, I am now at the point of considering selling the Wildpeaks at a loss after driving them 20 miles only and placing my old tires back on.

Have I succumbed to scare mongering on the web or are we really damaging our cars by adding plus sized tires?

·
Registered
2013 T3 Sport V6
43 Posts
So here is the deal: any change, either direction from the OEM size and weight with eventually effect the drive train... That having been said it's really a question of how much and how quickly. 2" isn't really in the detrimental realm, but it is where you typically notice a difference. The T3 V6 gas has a 3.70 rear diff... The closest american equivalent is the 3.72, which is common on most 1/4 ton 4x4 trucks and SUVs (Expedition, Tahoe). In my off-road experience it's common place to find a 3.72 rear with 32"-34" tires on it without the owner jumping up to a higher ratio (partially due to lack of knowledge and "style"). I haven't really seen a rear diff or transmission go out prematurely due to this... I'm sure based on physics alone, they do go out earlier, but not early enough to notice.

Now, I am not as savvy with the T3s (or any Touareg for that matter) drivetrain to really say how much the 2" difference will have as far as damage to it. Universally (ANY vehicle) going up on size without a gearing change you will experience "power loss" (there is no loss of power, but the longer rotation time effects how well that power is used in the lower gears), speedometer will be off, and in an automatic the shifting will not be at the appropriate RPMs due to the rotation difference.

Now for the weight: 6lbs difference isn't super significant, but it can have some effects but that's typically on the suspension, breaks, power steering, ect. The only issues with the trany and diff is it takes a tiny bit more effort to rotate more weight... There's also the added stress when a spinning tire suddenly grabs traction. That all being said, I would not think the weight change would be significant enough to really notice and further wear and tear on these components.

If it were my Treg, I would probably keep the tires on. Looking at charts for the 3.72 gears the 31" tires fall into the "power loss" range, but they aren't off the chart all together.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was a very comprehensive and well thought out reply, much appreciated!!!

Based off you're helpful response I think I will leave them on long enough for trips to Colorado, Joshua Tree, Tahoe and a few other winter trips with snow / trail potential.

Then remove them around January once I have gotten over the hassle of selling the old rims / tires. At which point I'll probably sell them on for a set of 255/55 wildpeaks.

My advice to others would be to only stick to a +1 difference if possible (at least with the VR6) or only get a lighter set of 31 inch tires.

The difference in performance is more noticeable than you might be expecting, combined with the risk of damage, it's bordering on not worth it.

Below is a picture of the offending car.

Any other peoples experience in a similar situation would be interesting...?

·
Registered
2013 T3 Sport V6
43 Posts
It looks good. Here is my, stock with the Falkens (255/55/18)
IMG_20201013_141412.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the rims on yours mnmboy and thanks for the reassurance Brendanm. Both very helpful!

Love the Touareg for so many reasons. Rented a brand new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk recently, it felt like a cramped, cheap tractor next to my 9 year old Touareg.

But it can feel like a giant money pit on wheels sometimes. Only done 65k and recently paid for a full service, all brakes, fuel sender and valve gasket cover to be replaced, fairly good price at $3000.

Wouldn't like any more bills for the foreseeable future as a result of my wheel experimentation .....

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
79 Posts
I like the rims on yours mnmboy and thanks for the reassurance Brendanm. Both very helpful!

Love the Touareg for so many reasons. Rented a brand new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk recently, it felt like a cramped, cheap tractor next to my 9 year old Touareg.

But it can feel like a giant money pit on wheels sometimes. Only done 65k and recently paid for a full service, all brakes, fuel sender and valve gasket cover to be replaced, fairly good price at $3000.

Wouldn't like any more bills for the foreseeable future as a result of my wheel experimentation .....
Get into diy. Most stuff is very easy, and plenty of info around. Help is only a post away as well. You will save a lot of money, and learn a lot about your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
As long as all your wheels are the same diameter, you're not damaging anything.
Changing the OD will obviously change the "final" gearing, so that is why you're noticing acceleration loss, etc.
If you're lifted, you're changing the angle of your CV joints, etc. so they will wear out faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get into diy. Most stuff is very easy, and plenty of info around. Help is only a post away as well. You will save a lot of money, and learn a lot about your vehicle.
Agreed, I recently moved to America in February (I'm from London). I don't have any space or any tools to work here, so have to go the mechanic route.

I've been really surprised at how responsive and helpful everyone has been here... great pool of knowledge.

301 - 320 of 333 Posts