Club Touareg Forum banner

261 - 280 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mounted 275/55r20 to factory wheel. Measures 31.9”, for the naysayers. No fitment issues whatsoever. Discount Tire initially refused to even attempt to mount them claiming they would not fit. The shop guys saying this were all of 17-19 years old. Told them to do it anyhow. The look on their faces when I drove away without any rubbing problems..

Falken Wildpeak AT3w.
00D99191-75CD-4145-8655-B3818B745049.jpeg

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Good to know, surprised they fit, is your T3 a diesel?
Just don't forget that your actual speed be 4.16% higher than the speedometer will show.

TonyB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good to know, surprised they fit, is your T3 a diesel?
Just don't forget that your actual speed be 4.16% higher than the speedometer will show.

TonyB
Yes, it’s a TDI. American spec. Clears wheel liner and arch. Ride is smooth. I’m having the speedometer calibrated on Wednesday.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Imma just drop these off here and let y'all's minds ruminate on 'em for a bit:

10 Internet points to whoever guesses what vehicle these came from :D

Notes:
  • These wheels bolt right up to T3 Touaregs (and probably T1/T2. I don't have one and haven't researched the offsets used on those)
  • These are 5x130. No adapter spacers used.
  • Tires are 265/60/18"
  • The are 18x7.5 ET43 and bolt on to our trucks with no spacers needed.
  • I added 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers for looks because I had them on hand, not because they were needed. Wheel offset of 43 is plenty.
  • I used my OEM VW/Porsche ball-seat bolts (with the built-in washer) when not using spacers. I used the appropriate longer Porsche style bolts when I used spacers.
  • Truck is lowered on H&R sport springs.
Answer: Wheels are from a Mercedes G Wagon

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, it’s a TDI. American spec. Clears wheel liner and arch. Ride is smooth. I’m having the speedometer calibrated on Wednesday.
How does one calibrate speedometers on our trucks? As far as I know, it's no possible via VAGCOM on our trucks like it is on other VW vehicles (Golf, Jetta, etc...)

·
Registered
464 Posts
How does one calibrate speedometers on our trucks? As far as I know, it's no possible via VAGCOM on our trucks like it is on other VW vehicles (Golf, Jetta, etc...)
Im also surprised 31.9s fit stock as my 32s rub on a 2.5 lift.

I believe you can have the dealer calibrate it with their tool...correct tho vagcom cant

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im also surprised 31.9s fit stock as my 32s rub on a 2.5 lift.

I believe you can have the dealer calibrate it with their tool...correct tho vagcom cant
Will you please report back on how the speedometer calibration goes? Maybe ask how they do it?

I want to run slighly taller tires 100% of the time, but I don't like how that throws off the speedometer, distance, MPG and other calculations.

FYI: The wheel I posted above are from a Mercedes G Wagon. They fit our trucks, too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I called one of my local VW dealerships today and asked a Service Advisor if it were possible to recalibrate the truck such that it knows that it has taller tires on it.

[Me] "Do you know if it's possible for one of your techs to recalibrate the truck so it knows that it has taller than OEM wheels on it?
[SA] "Why would you want to do that?"
[Me] "Well, some people are going off-road with their Touaregs and using taller tires. Just wondering if it's possible to let the truck's computer know about the taller setup."
[SA] "Oh...no. The Touareg isn't really good for off-road stuff. You shouldn't do that..."

Taking the Touareg off-road isn't some hack. It is literally the primary function of the truck:
The Touareg (internally designated Typ 7L) was a joint venture project developed by Volkswagen Group, Audi and Porsche. The goal was to create an off-road vehicle that could handle like a sports car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called one of my local VW dealerships today and asked a Service Advisor if it were possible to recalibrate the truck such that it knows that it has taller tires on it.

[Me] "Do you know if it's possible for one of your techs to recalibrate the truck so it knows that it has taller than OEM wheels on it?
[SA] "Why would you want to do that?"
[Me] "Well, some people are going off-road with their Touaregs and using taller tires. Just wondering if it's possible to let the truck's computer know about the taller setup."
[SA] "Oh...no. The Touareg isn't really good for off-road stuff. You shouldn't do that..."

View attachment 235349

Taking the Touareg off-road isn't some hack. It is literally the primary function of the truck:

very typical response from these guys at service departments. They’re morons. I had to fight them and get VW corporate involved because dealer refused to cover rear main seal under warranty when it was clearly, on paper, covered.

my local third party mechanic is doing my calibration. Eurofed. I’ll find out what he uses.

·
Registered
464 Posts
yes not only the dealers but everyone in general think im stupid for setting my t3 up for off road or overlanding....i havent looked into who will change my speedo yet...altho its only about 1.5mph slower with my current tires now vs gps...but i do plan to go 33s soon so.

I have a few connections at dealers so we will see how that goes.

I also plan to do some proof that a t3 can still be an off road beast

Reactions: cqhall

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same at the premier local tire shop (Butler Tire). I was looking to put some G Wagon wheels on the Touareg. They said it wasn't possible.

I guess not...

My general attitude when I'm working with most people in the customer service with regards to this truck, including (VW Dealership, H&R, Bilstein, Butler Tire, Discount Tire, etc...):

·
Registered
110 Posts
very typical response from these guys at service departments. They’re morons. I had to fight them and get VW corporate involved because dealer refused to cover rear main seal under warranty when it was clearly, on paper, covered.

my local third party mechanic is doing my calibration. Eurofed. I’ll find out what he uses.
Nathan, were you able to get your speedo calibrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m running a 275/45/21 on my 21x10.5 bbs chr2 wheels. I get the slightest rub on the fender liner vents on the drivers side of my touareg TDI that is lowered like 1.5”

You “should be ok” especially if you’re stock ride height.

Could you spare some of your wheel/tire knowledge?
I’m looking to buy new wheels for my 2012 tdi lux and came across some VW Mallory 275/40R21. Will they fit? Rub? My brain implodes when I try to figure out wheel/tire combos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could you spare some of your wheel/tire knowledge?
I’m looking to buy new wheels for my 2012 tdi lux and came across some VW Mallory 275/40R21. Will they fit? Rub? My brain implodes when I try to figure out wheel/tire combos.
Oem wheels will be fine. 275/40/21 is close to a stock size and there will not likely be a problem.

Cayenne/q7 run a 295/35/21 so that’s an option as well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mounted 275/55r20 to factory wheel. Measures 31.9”, for the naysayers. No fitment issues whatsoever. Discount Tire initially refused to even attempt to mount them claiming they would not fit. The shop guys saying this were all of 17-19 years old. Told them to do it anyhow. The look on their faces when I drove away without any rubbing problems..

Falken Wildpeak AT3w.

Have any side pictures from standing height?

I've been considering 265/50R20s for my '13. I didn't think 31.9s would fit.

261 - 280 of 333 Posts