Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 100 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very cool! Adding more lighting will be one of the first mods I do when my TDI arrives next week. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Hi Paul,
Thanks. I used permanent positive from the terminals behind the jump start point.
For switching i tapped into the passenger side fuse box
Hope this helps
Hi Singh, Drag or anyone who knows the answer:

I've tried connecting from my led light bar relay to both the high beam left and right fuses (35 and 17) in the fuse boxes, but they have permanent 12 volt feed and so, although they supply power to the high beams, they aren't part of the switching circuit. Does anyone know where to pick up high beam switching inside the car, without having to run the switching wire through the firewall to one of the lights?

I've mounted a 43" 210watt led light bar under my roof rack as per the attached picture and all the wiring runs inside the car through a neat waterproofed hole in the front of one of the roof rails, so I'm trying not to run any wiring into the engine bay.

There must be a high beam relay in the car somewhere that I can tap into? So, if there is, where is it and what colour wire should I be tapping into?

Cheers, Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Took a little time, but eventually found the high beam sender wire inside the car ... It is the red wire with blue stripe in the left set of four plug blocks under the dash, up under the drivers side footwell!

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Picture of the Red wire with Blue stripe, and mobile Sunlight!

Attachments

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Hi Mike,
Nice! Sorry was overseas and busy, just saw your note.
Hows the throw, any reflection off the bonnet?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Can you expand on the "neat waterproofed hole in the front of one of the roof rails" please Mike.

did you drill it or was it there already?
If you drilled it where and how?
how did you feed the wire through?

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Hi Ragman, Hydrolocked and Singh,

Apologies for the delay in reply ... been away camping on the Yorke Peninsula christening my new Patriot camper trailer!

For the Anne Beadell/Gun trip last year I'd already drilled a hole in the roof for the UHF antenna. On the T1, the roof rails can be unscrewed and there are small plastic fairings at each end that are plated. On the front fairing I drilled through the back of the fairing where it meets the roof rail and then drilled through the roof under the fairing. The roof is double skinned and you have to be careful not to drill all the way through the lining. I unscrewed the drivers side grab handle and prised down the edge of the lining, holding it down with a small block of wood so that I could find the antenna wire and feed it down the lining to windscreen pillar and the fuses and then in to the dash.

With fitting the led light bar under the front of my roof rack (and a flood led on the back of the rack) I pulled the antenna wire back out of the roof with a string attached, made the hole in the roof larger and drilled through the top of the plastic fairing as there were now too many wires to fit through the back of it. I ran the wiring through grommets in the fairing and roof and then pulled them back to the dash, making sure that they did not interfere with the curtain airbag in the windcreen pillar.

I used marine sealant in and around all the holes and under the roof rail fairing. As my V10 is 13 years old and worth less than 20% of it's new price, I didn't have any reservations about drilling a hole in the roof ... but I wouldn't recommend you do it to a new or nearly new Touareg! I've attached a picture of the installation.

When I take off the roof rack, I disconnect the wiring to the lights, fit a swivel guttter mount for the antenna, and fold the excess wiring back along the inside of the roof rail.

As to the reflections off the bonnet, I've attached a sequence of photos showing the lights on Dip Beam, High Beam and then Led Light Bar. The bonnet reflections come off the car infront rather than down from the light bar. The bar is in front of the driver's eyeline and set a little back under the roof rack, so the reflections are forward. I'm not sure how far the beam goes forward, but I'm not so much worried that I should see things 2km away ... in the bush it's much more important picking up things coming at you from the side! If you are looking at any light source, your night vision is going to be compromised unless you keep one eye closed ... and I don't recommend doing that while driving!

Cheers, Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
^looks good!

Just a heads up guys. Got a fixit ticket by Philadelphia PD for "off road lights being uncovered > 35" from the road surface". Basically I was pulled over and told you need an opaque cover over any lights that are above 32" above the road. Placed electrical tape over the lights. Good to go now. It's that easy.

Cop: Off-road lights are kind of my thing.
Me: shouldn't rape and cocaine be a cops "thing?"
Cop: here's your ticket.

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks for that Mike, I thought about drilling the roof but was not brave enough. The rhino rack looks neat.

LOL Euro Skank, rapists and drug dealers are way to much trouble to catch. I think roof mounted lights are illegal here as well,

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
Hi Ragman,

They were illegal in SA but the rules changed recently. The change applied to ADR13/00, and now makes them legal.

I attach a copy of the Vehicles Standards notice that I downloaded from the SA Government website. I keep a copy in the glovebox, just incase a police officer stops me and hasn't had time to read all the ADR's in between catching Rapists and Drug-Dealers!

As it is an Australian Design Rule, it should apply in all our States and Territories, but it would be worth checking with the WA Government to make sure they interpret the rule change in the same way!

Regards, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it legal to run light bar LED off high beam only?If so which wire would I need to tap into on a 09 V6TDI.

Any help greatfully accepted.
Andrew.

·
Learner
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hi Ragman, Hydrolocked and Singh, Apologies for the delay in reply ... been away camping on the Yorke Peninsula christening my new Patriot camper trailer! For the Anne Beadell/Gun trip last year I'd already drilled a hole in the roof for the UHF antenna. On the T1, the roof rails can be unscrewed and there are small plastic fairings at each end that are plated. On the front fairing I drilled through the back of the fairing where it meets the roof rail and then drilled through the roof under the fairing. The roof is double skinned and you have to be careful not to drill all the way through the lining. I unscrewed the drivers side grab handle and prised down the edge of the lining, holding it down with a small block of wood so that I could find the antenna wire and feed it down the lining to windscreen pillar and the fuses and then in to the dash. With fitting the led light bar under the front of my roof rack (and a flood led on the back of the rack) I pulled the antenna wire back out of the roof with a string attached, made the hole in the roof larger and drilled through the top of the plastic fairing as there were now too many wires to fit through the back of it. I ran the wiring through grommets in the fairing and roof and then pulled them back to the dash, making sure that they did not interfere with the curtain airbag in the windcreen pillar. I used marine sealant in and around all the holes and under the roof rail fairing. As my V10 is 13 years old and worth less than 20% of it's new price, I didn't have any reservations about drilling a hole in the roof ... but I wouldn't recommend you do it to a new or nearly new Touareg! I've attached a picture of the installation. When I take off the roof rack, I disconnect the wiring to the lights, fit a swivel guttter mount for the antenna, and fold the excess wiring back along the inside of the roof rail. As to the reflections off the bonnet, I've attached a sequence of photos showing the lights on Dip Beam, High Beam and then Led Light Bar. The bonnet reflections come off the car infront rather than down from the light bar. The bar is in front of the driver's eyeline and set a little back under the roof rack, so the reflections are forward. I'm not sure how far the beam goes forward, but I'm not so much worried that I should see things 2km away ... in the bush it's much more important picking up things coming at you from the side! If you are looking at any light source, your night vision is going to be compromised unless you keep one eye closed ... and I don't recommend doing that while driving! Cheers, Mike.
Nice one Mike! To be tested rigorously on the next outback adventure! :)

·
Learner
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Is it legal to run light bar LED off high beam only?If so which wire would I need to tap into on a 09 V6TDI. Any help greatfully accepted. Andrew.
It should be off the high beam circuit only.
You can tap from the fuse box- passenger side for right hand drive vehicles

Reactions: THYFREC

·
Learner
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Thanks for that ,How do I get the wire from cabin to engine bay?
Too easy, look for a rubber grommet adjacent to the bonnet hinge. Push thru a flexible wire and it should drop down into passenger footwell with bit of jiggling :)

Reactions: THYFREC

·
Registered
906 Posts
There's no way I could cop what Singh paid for his bar.

This is what I've got. I have 2, both mounted on the Explorer at the moment.

The plan is the mount one on two vertical straps that are screwed on where the number plate screws on.
The bar would be located just above the number plate.

I also have these which throw out a tremendous amount of light for their size, I'll mount them, um, somewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's no way I could cop what Singh paid for his bar.

This is what I've got. I have 2, both mounted on the Explorer at the moment.

The plan is the mount one on two vertical straps that are screwed on where the number plate screws on.
The bar would be located just above the number plate.

I also have these which throw out a tremendous amount of light for their size, I'll mount them, um, somewhere.

I looked into those lights you posted and they look pretty bright for the price, but the biggest thing for me is color temperature. All of the cheap lights I've come across have a 6000K-6500K color temperature which is not ideal. Light in the blue-spectrum causes glare and isn't as good for visibility as say 3000-5000K. I wanted a decent set of LED spots for my Treg, but wasn't prepared to shell out the huge money for the better color temp. The small ones you posted have the right color for me, but the lightbar would be out.

I'm right in the middle of fitting 2 Hella 500 55W Halogens to the front....and might put the other 2 I have behind the lower center grill.

81 - 100 of 216 Posts