Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Mojave Road in southern California with a group of friends the past weekend (was my T3 Touareg and a mildly lifted Jeep XJ). It's a relatively easy ~130mi route, without any really technical sections.

The Touareg handled it great! Never had issues with traction, even in the sand and muddy lake bed conditions. It was a blast flying through open dirt roads and sandy washes. The only real issues (as many have reported) was clearance. Would really love to figure out a way to raise it.

Seems like the only option seems to be spacers, but I'm curious if anyone has ever considered a custom coilover setup? Is it not actually possible or just cost prohibitive? I'm not really familiar with that world, but would love to find something that helped get it off the ground...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5OhuFDjlKk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CMmgzRkJPl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The most obvious answer (and easiest) answer for more clearance is to acquire an older Touareg with air suspension...turn a knob and up it goes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The most obvious answer (and easiest) answer for more clearance is to acquire an older Touareg with air suspension...turn a knob and up it goes!
Haha it does seem like it... Including having a real 4-low option. I love everything else about this one though, and never really plan on doing anything too crazy with it. Just wish it could avoid a few less rocks smashing up up the muffler...

·
Registered
206 Posts
What wheels are those? Fukk i love the way they look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, they look nice! A slight lift would be fitting. And what size are the Conti Terrain Contacts? I'm about to put a set of those on my 18" rims (tomorrow actually). I was totally on the fence about whether or not to get some 17" rims but opted not to. How do you like the tires? This is the first time I've seen that combination on a T3. It looks like those tires fill out the wheel well a lot more than than my mine do and they look wider as well. I'm guessing a wider tire may have been possible with the spacers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lgotye

Yeah, they look nice! A slight lift would be fitting. And what size are the Conti Terrain Contacts? I'm about to put a set of those on my 18" rims (tomorrow actually). I was totally on the fence about whether or not to get some 17" rims but opted not to. How do you like the tires? This is the first time I've seen that combination on a T3. It looks like those tires fill out the wheel well a lot more than than my mine do and they look wider as well. I'm guessing a wider tire may have been possible with the spacers?
Nice! They're actually a pretty conservative fitment 245/65R17. Would like to go bigger on the next set for MAX height... The tires have been great for what I need. They have great road manners, and are super quiet. They've done well in the snow, and are decent offroad. Definitely not the same traction in deeper mud or sand as a real mud terrain tire. Also a bit of a bummer that they don't have the snowflake for chain control that KO2s have. That said I haven't really had traction issues anywhere I've brought the car, and they're quieter on the highway then the kumhos I run on my golf...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

What kind of mud flaps are you running?

They’re just universal Rally Armor mud flaps (don’t come with hardware or anything). Since the OEM ones don’t fit the R-Line trim/body kit, it seemed like the simplest option.

I attached them with some body panel screws and few pieces of flat steel from the hardware store. Sadly haven’t been able to find a good way to attach the fronts yet, but hoping to when I get a chance...

·
Registered
17 Posts
They’re just universal Rally Armor mud flaps (don’t come with hardware or anything). Since the OEM ones don’t fit the R-Line trim/body kit, it seemed like the simplest option.

I attached them with some body panel screws and few pieces of flat steel from the hardware store. Sadly haven’t been able to find a good way to attach the fronts yet, but hoping to when I get a chance...
Thanks, I will look into Rally Armor universal mud flaps.

I am actually in the process of re-creating Cayenne Transsyberia look. From the pics I can find online, looks like it only had front mud flaps, rears didn't have any. I am guessing rear mud flap just rubs on steep departure angles. I know that because I broke factory rear mud flaps the first time went off roading.

Here how front mud flaps attached on Cayenne Transsyberia, looks like they're just drilled onto running boards.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-drive-staging/message-editor/1488814610837-low_cayenne_s_transsyberia_retro_classics_2017_porsche_ag.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was inspired by this build, they did under carriage flaps and front and rear. Seems to just be rivited on. Agree on hitting on steep angles, mine definitely do at times, but as long as they are flexible/semi-flexible it's no big deal (along with a solid mount point).

Also love the lift on this Cayenne, but seems like it's a air suspension leveling arm mod - so would have to figure out a different strategy 😞

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m not an off road SUV person so bear with me! I have a ‘12 LUX TDI that’s bone stock. do you think there’s any obstacles on the Mojave Road that would be insurmountable? Also, seems like your Treg is loaded to the gills! How long does it take?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m not an off road SUV person so bear with me! I have a ‘12 LUX TDI that’s bone stock. do you think there’s any obstacles on the Mojave Road that would be insurmountable? Also, seems like your Treg is loaded to the gills! How long does it take?
I would say a stock Touareg wouldn't have any big issues with most of the trail, if you're ok with scraping your muffler and side skirts in a few paces. Mine is currently stock ride height with some slightly larger all-terrain tires. That said, the creek crossing would definitely be a no-go and the short decent down Watson Wash is probably a bit too much for most (though there's a youtube of a T3 driving up it :unsure:).

The only big concern on stock all season tires would be traction in the sandier sports or if there's any weather. Soda dry lake bed in particular can get super muddy, and you wouldn't want to get stuck out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the R-Line lower bumper change the approach angle of the T3?
For what it's worth my lower lip definitely gets used as a plow quite a bit :)

I think it's only really that lower section that's different from the other T3s. I'm planning on removing it and adding some kind of lower bumper+skid plate in the future (similar to what other folks are doing on Cayenne's).

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it's worth my lower lip definitely gets used as a plow quite a bit :)

I think it's only really that lower section that's different from the other T3s. I'm planning on removing it and adding some kind of lower bumper+skid plate in the future (similar to what other folks are doing on Cayenne's).
Have you taken your T3 on any other SoCal off road trips?
Also, are you still running the stock spare tire?
Definitely document your front skid plate project and share it here. I would like to see what you come up with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts