Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Diesel SUV. The Touareg is my frontrunner. Please correct where I am wrong.
(1) Touaregs have spotty records of initial reliability but long-term dependability is satisfying and at least as good as the other Diesel SUVs on the market
(1) The Touareg was heavily revised in 2008 and 2011.
(2) The 2011 made it more like a car and removed off-road options such as 4x and the flip up window and there is no more physical oil dip stick.
(2) I am confused by the suspension. Steel spring suspension until 2010 and aluminium suspension since 2011, I think? Was adjustable air suspension ever available?
(3) The ground clearance dropped from 8.3" to 7.9" starting in 2011. So if you want higher ground clearance, you must buy a 2010 or earlier.
(4) Do all Touaregs have a 100 litre tank? Somewhere there was a reference to 85l
(5) To get the 3500kg towing capacity, one needs to look for a vehicle that has the heavy hitch factory installed. Some claim these vehicles come with heavier springs.
(6) With the older vehicles, some claim the V-10 is the best choice.
(7) Finally, the Touareg Diesels stay road legal in Canada and the clean diesel issue and fix can be ignored.
(8) If you have one ... how many km does it have. On a scale of 0 to 10, how happy are you with your Touareg Diesel?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
927 Posts
It helps to identify the country you're in - as answers may be different elsewhere.

Q.8 - 12,500 miles - very pleased - economy is lower than expected but that's due to stupid EU test procedures.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am a 10.

I bought a 2016 Cayenne Diesel to replace the 2012 that VW is going to buy back from me.

In 57,000 miles VW replaced AdBlue components for free under the extended warranty. The T3 TDI is an awesome vehicle. It is too bad VW had to cheat to get the motors on the road.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I am a 10.

I bought a 2016 Cayenne Diesel to replace the 2012 that VW is going to buy back from me.

In 57,000 miles VW replaced AdBlue components for free under the extended warranty. The T3 TDI is an awesome vehicle. It is too bad VW had to cheat to get the motors on the road.

My question to that is what did VW sorry Porsche do to make their diesel compliant that VW couldn't or is just about reputation ?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
162 Posts
.[16] Also, the 2015 diesel Porsche Cayenne was in the Volkswagen emissions scandal.

www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/.../vw-3-liter-tdi-v6-settlement...https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#
  1. Cached

Dec 20, 2016 - The 80,000 vehicles equipped with the 3.0-liter TDI engine in question include the Volkswagen Touraeg, Audi Q7, and the Porsche Cayenne Diesel. This settlement comes nearly six months after Volkswagen agreed to a near-$15-billion settlement over U.S.-market cars sold with emissions-cheating 2.0-liter diesel engines.

what reputation??? they use the same engines.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
.[16] Also, the 2015 diesel Porsche Cayenne was in the Volkswagen emissions scandal.

www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/.../vw-3-liter-tdi-v6-settlement...
  1. Cached
Dec 20, 2016 - The 80,000 vehicles equipped with the 3.0-liter TDI engine in question include the Volkswagen Touraeg, Audi Q7, and the Porsche Cayenne Diesel. This settlement comes nearly six months after Volkswagen agreed to a near-$15-billion settlement over U.S.-market cars sold with emissions-cheating 2.0-liter diesel engines.

what reputation??? they use the same engines.

Yep

VW did the wrong thing then the cash grab started.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I am in the market for a Diesel SUV. The Touareg is my frontrunner. Please correct where I am wrong.
(Touaregs have spotty records of initial reliability but long-term dependability is satisfying and at least as good as the other Diesel SUVs on the market
Probably.

The Touareg was heavily revised in 2008 and 2011.

Generation 1 - T1/7LA and the facelift T2/7L6;

Generation 2 - T3/7P5 and the facelift T4/7P6 [current model].

Generation 3 - due later this year.

Models, engines, build years, etc. [essential reading] here:

http://en.wikipedia....kswagen_Touareg

The 2011 made it more like a car and removed off-road options such as 4x and the flip up window and there is no more physical oil dip stick.

T3 seriously decontented to lose a lot of weight: still a competent 4x4 off road but no air suspension and no low box in US. Now subject to dieselgate, buy-backs, compensation and so on.

Read this [if you can be bothered!]

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f89/vw-tdi-epa-recall-2-0l-and-3-0l-216585.html

I am confused by the suspension. Steel spring suspension until 2010 and aluminium suspension since 2011, I think? Was adjustable air suspension ever available?

Yes to the latter.

The ground clearance dropped from 8.3" to 7.9" starting in 2011. So if you want higher ground clearance, you must buy a 2010 or earlier.

Yes to the latter if the former is correct! Or fit larger diameter tires up to 31.5 inches in overall diameter. One or two have squeezed in 32 inches and a bit. Standard OD on all OEM wheel and tire combinations or all models and all years ex the factory was/is 29 inches, give or take a fraction.

(4) Do all Touaregs have a 100 litre tank? Somewhere there was a reference to 85l

The T1and T2 all had 100L, but VW started making the T3 with 85L, however some models with certain options and some markets still get 100 litres. I think, but I'm not certain so others will chip in, the US still get 100L.

To get the 3500kg towing capacity, one needs to look for a vehicle that has the heavy hitch factory installed. Some claim these vehicles come with heavier springs.

Not seen anyone talk about different springs but I have seen the factory vs aftermarket comment on the 3,500 kgs.

With the older vehicles, some claim the V-10 is the best choice.

All Touaregs are expensive to fix. The V10 engine is at a supercar level, great but bank balance busting if it goes tits up. It has to come out for quite a few fixes.

Finally, the Touareg Diesels stay road legal in Canada and the clean diesel issue and fix can be ignored.

No idea.

You don't mention your budget to buy, nor whether you might be on a family budget to run the car.

Touaregs aren't cheap to fix and they're best run with a good warranty in place if you don't like unexpected bills.

If the budget is tight, don't buy a Touareg and certainly never buy a Touareg with any known faults!

Here's a couple more threads that may be of interest:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/10163-buying-a-used-touareg-what-to-look-for/

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/31994-things-you-may-not-know-about-your-t34/

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
As I have nowhere really to drive off-road. the T3 is fantastic and a great road vehicle.

If you can find a 2013+ (Good luck with that), the Gen 2 motors are a step above.

As you are typing in Litre's and Kilo's, you are either in Canada or NOT in the USA.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Canada: America's Hat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts