Club Touareg Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,221 Posts
No problems here towing a 3.5 off and on road over thousands of KMs, no overheating or any other issues.
Gradient isnt apparent here but some LCs with lighter loads had to have a second go

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my 18 month old Touareg 190 Adventure. I have taken it back and a fuel sensor was upgraded but still a problem. Low throttle openings, seems worse in warmer weather, improved in sport transmission mode and virtually absent using manual shift. Jerky, lurchy changes up to 4th gear.

·
Learner
6,221 Posts
Problem still resolved post turbo replacement after some months of driving! So far so good 😊
That's great, good to know it's going well, thanks for the update 👍

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
The jerkiness issue aside, that's been reported by some launch owners, the root cause of which is yet to be formally ascertained(maybe it's the lifters as pointed to above), I don't think there's a cooling issue as such, it's the way the car has been designed with ecu managing it all. Why would you want the gearbox to be cooled upon startup rather than designing it to ensure it gets to optimum temp asap, same how engine cooling is designed.
Has there been any transmission, gearbox failure due to overheating, I don't think so. Has any touareg karked it whilst pulling a Bruderx(or a Jayco)? Nope.
So far it's temp anxiety rather than any performance issue, loss or degradation.

Is the jerkiness attributed to how gearbox cooling is designed I don't think so. My closest guess is mechatronic still, but I could be easily wrong as there's report above re lifters, valves being the issue. (Worth investigating if lifter part numbers have changed over the years)

The only change made in two years to the design of the CR related to cooling that I know of is the front side ports are open from my21.
Do we have enough information relating to this change for my21 vs my19 Touareg pulling the same weight to see if this makes a difference to temps I don't know.

So, from my perspective put aside temp anxiety and enjoy driving 😉

View attachment 248791
if you are towing and driving, you will probably be ok. if you do lots of beach driving , which i did, where there is a sudden generation of heat from the wheel spinning, the current set-up of the touareg, for Australian's conditions, you will risk overheating the box and damage the one of the clutches. That is fact. Touareg do not have low range gearing, the transmission does the work and in sand, it will get hot quickly.

The subaru's have an oil cooler at the front, toyota's have better cooling se-up but even then if you do lots of beach, an oil cooler is recommended. If you put an oil cooler on the Touareg, you can calm your overheating anxiety.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hi Bruza, sounds like you’ve had some real transmission overheating issues. Did you use a off the shelf cooler set up or was it necessary to set up from scratch? I found one online for a Amarok, given the similarities would it be suitable?
Thanks for your comments.
hey Ben, the Aeroflow coolers are really good but will require custom bracket to be made. you can also install the an internal switch so you can turn it on, rather than letting it turn on at 80D. There is enough space at the front to install one.once you do, you will never overheat the tranny even if you rev the **** out of it on sand / mud.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
sorry to hear about your experience. with the alternator, i had a look at mine after what you pointed and its very clean despite all the offroad trips. did you have the underside plastic protection off? there seems to be very little room for anything to get up there to impact it. now with sand, it goes flying into every nook and corner but where the alternator is positioned it looks pretty good from any harms way.
did you have to get it removed and cleaned up post your trip?
apologies, i am not undermining your view or experience in any way, but trying to prepare myself as I use the touareg for offroad adventures quite a bit.
alternator was replaced, had **** loads of sand in it causing incorrect voltage. It sits far too low in the engine bay, so sand driving, no so good. other types of offroading -probably ok.

·
Learner
6,221 Posts
My experience over 15k KMs and across sand, beaches has been quite the opposite, no heating issues, alternator is clean as and the Touareg performed flawlessly.
On some of the sandy tracks the car was fully loaded with gear.
Btw front lower ports are open, from my 2020 I think

121 - 130 of 130 Posts