Club Touareg Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,218 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Singh, as usual very concise and helpful.
So in your opinion is the engine and transmission cooling system on the CR Touareg up to the job? I must say I become concerned when I see the engine oil temp running at 120C or above.
I note that in my case the 190KW engine is the same as that used in the Amarok but for clearance reasons I guess, the oil pan capacity is significantly reduced. This can’t be good practice for engine longevity! Should owners planning on long ownership install extra cooling for both?

I also agree that the current CRV8 is of Bentayga origin but the V6 is Audi design and used in many VW Group vehicles.
The jerkiness issue aside, that's been reported by some launch owners, the root cause of which is yet to be formally ascertained(maybe it's the lifters as pointed to above), I don't think there's a cooling issue as such, it's the way the car has been designed with ecu managing it all. Why would you want the gearbox to be cooled upon startup rather than designing it to ensure it gets to optimum temp asap, same how engine cooling is designed.
Has there been any transmission, gearbox failure due to overheating, I don't think so. Has any touareg karked it whilst pulling a Bruderx(or a Jayco)? Nope.
So far it's temp anxiety rather than any performance issue, loss or degradation.

Is the jerkiness attributed to how gearbox cooling is designed I don't think so. My closest guess is mechatronic still, but I could be easily wrong as there's report above re lifters, valves being the issue. (Worth investigating if lifter part numbers have changed over the years)

The only change made in two years to the design of the CR related to cooling that I know of is the front side ports are open from my21.
Do we have enough information relating to this change for my21 vs my19 Touareg pulling the same weight to see if this makes a difference to temps I don't know.

So, from my perspective put aside temp anxiety and enjoy driving 😉

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

Reactions: Kiwitd

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
They replaced my High Speed Fuel Pump/sensor today and it made no difference. Hate driving the thing.
If you drive in sport mode by pushing the lever in S or selecting sport mode does it make any difference vs driving in Eco? Do you still get the same jerkiness?

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
Yes...nothing changes.
What's your transmission code on the white vehicle identification sticker under the luggage compartment? Eg mine is SBT

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it’s worth can I add that my transmission code on the label Singh mentioned is TLW although it difficult to be certain as the code labels and alignment of details aren’t easy to read.
Think the motor code is TDIA8A and just below that but to the right is the above code for the Transmission.

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
My mere attempt to understand which particular boxes are impacted by this issue. Under A8A, OC5 there appear to be several transmission types (TLW, SBT, etc) for the CR( V8 vs V6 difference aside)
I am keen to know the difference and perhaps what could be the cause. So far, from what I gather the problem is associated with 2019 models, I could be wrong of course.
Anyone with 2020, 21 experience this issue?

Reactions: Benz1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some interesting developments with regard to the transmission jerky acceleration issue.
At the last service I reported this issue with my car, the issue was acknowledged and last week the car went in for 3 days for a turbo replacement as the service manager said that was the problem.
Long story short, picked the car up Friday last and the improvement was palatable!
Start up and overall smoothness of gear changes and acceleration is first rate. So different and Immediately noticeable.
The other more surprising improvement is the responsiveness to throttle inputs, Almost no turbo lag, just instant get up and go. Now it’s a brilliant car!
Early days but do hope I can report back in a few months to confirm the continued good behavior.

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
Some interesting developments with regard to the transmission jerky acceleration issue.
At the last service I reported this issue with my car, the issue was acknowledged and last week the car went in for 3 days for a turbo replacement as the service manager said that was the problem.
Long story short, picked the car up Friday last and the improvement was palatable!
Start up and overall smoothness of gear changes and acceleration is first rate. So different and Immediately noticeable.
The other more surprising improvement is the responsiveness to throttle inputs, Almost no turbo lag, just instant get up and go. Now it’s a brilliant car!
Early days but do hope I can report back in a few months to confirm the continued good behavior.
Turbo replacement for transmission jerkiness, I wouldn't have put those two together.
That sounds like an experience after transmission reset, but put all that aside see how you go in a few weeks of driving. Hopefully it's all resolved 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turbo replacement for transmission jerkiness, I wouldn't have put those two together.
That sounds like an experience after transmission reset, but put all that aside see how you go in a few weeks of driving. Hopefully it's all resolved 👍
Yes think there was a transmission reset as well but I suspect it is fine.
The turbo was definitely replaced as I took photos before and after, and they are different.
The jerky behavior was probably due to the engines erratic and variable torque output as a result of the faulty turbo, the sudden unplanned surge in accelerations or not maybe prevented the transmission following the planned maps or coping with these torque variables.
At any rate time will tell but I’m hopeful as another car done is still functioning perfectly many month down the track.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
They reset my Transmission last week and for the first day it certainly seemed better. However it's now 4 days after the reset and the jerkiness has returned.
In sport / auto mode the jerkiness is there but if you manually change gears it doesnt seem to be there. Does this confirm its definately the Transmission Control Unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They reset my Transmission last week and for the first day it certainly seemed better. However it's now 4 days after the reset and the jerkiness has returned.
In sport / auto mode the jerkiness is there but if you manually change gears it doesnt seem to be there. Does this confirm its definately the Transmission Control Unit?
No I don’t necessarily think so, I collected my car Friday and have driven it every day since, so 3 days and all is still perfect. So my car is looking like turbo issues.
I‘m banking on the turbo as so far we have 2 examples that support this diagnosis, one longer term and mine.
I’ll report back next week with progress.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,812 Posts
This may or may not be related to the CR Transmission issues.

We have a 2008 Golf R32 (V6 - AWD). It has DSG (automatic - but on steroids - for those who don't know). The gearbox changes gears faster than a human can do with a manual (VW claim). Seemless, smooth, fast.

UNTIL. Your significant other has the car for an extended period. Then the 'gearbox' gets lethargic. Lazy. Laggy.
I found this out when I used to work as a project manager (remote WA - 14 days on, 6 days off, 1 day travel).

Everytime I came home, I found the Golf had lost it's pep, pizzazz, that feeling of being as toey as roman sandal was gone.

I spoke to a guy a knew at the dealership, and he let me in on the secret. The mechatronics unit and DSF of the MKV Golf actually learns your driving style, and adjusts it's dynamics (believing it knows what you require, based on previous driving style). In short, and layman's terms, it memorises your driving style. And gets lazy.
He advised me, when I got home, slam that bad-boy DSG into Sport mode and drive it like you stole it for about 30 minutes.

Voila. It worked.

Now, I don't claim this will work for the CR Touareg, because it's not a DSG gearbox, but.....it may just help.

·
Registered
MY16 R-Line V8 Black (7P) + MY21 R-Line V8 Black (CR)
158 Posts
This may or may not be related to the CR Transmission issues.

We have a 2008 Golf R32 (V6 - AWD). It has DSG (automatic - but on steroids - for those who don't know). The gearbox changes gears faster than a human can do with a manual (VW claim). Seemless, smooth, fast.

UNTIL. Your significant other has the car for an extended period. Then the 'gearbox' gets lethargic. Lazy. Laggy.
I found this out when I used to work as a project manager (remote WA - 14 days on, 6 days off, 1 day travel).

Everytime I came home, I found the Golf had lost it's pep, pizzazz, that feeling of being as toey as roman sandal was gone.

I spoke to a guy a knew at the dealership, and he let me in on the secret. The mechatronics unit and DSF of the MKV Golf actually learns your driving style, and adjusts it's dynamics (believing it knows what you require, based on previous driving style). In short, and layman's terms, it memorises your driving style. And gets lazy.
He advised me, when I got home, slam that bad-boy DSG into Sport mode and drive it like you stole it for about 30 minutes.

Voila. It worked.

Now, I don't claim this will work for the CR Touareg, because it's not a DSG gearbox, but.....it may just help.
Adaptive automatic transmission can be reset easily in less than 11 minutes.
  1. Press the acceleration pedal all the way to the floor.
  2. Turn ignition on (don't start).
  3. Keep acceleration pedal to the floor for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Turn off the ignition.
  5. Start your car.
  6. .... and drive most carefully allowing it to change gears at low RPM for the first 10 minutes. :sleep:
  7. ..... or ..... give it some welly for 10 minutes.🙃
  8. Skip 6, and reread 7 :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,812 Posts
I had tried the reset procedure previously. Didn’t work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Hi mate,
Here's my understanding of it.
The ATF cooler for the gearbox sits on the torque converter, the oil in it is cooled by the coolant from the engine which is controlled by the ecu by opening or closing the n509 valve, to ensure the engine and gearbox warm up to optimum level quickly.
At 90deg engine coolant temp the valve is open to cool the ATF oil, gearbox. But during startup this is closed so engine and ATF can warm up as quickly as possible to optimum.

Further to this, there are 3 stages to gearbox temp management. Great than 125, 140 or 145 deg the gearbox and engine will be managed and shifts are moved up torque is reduced etc etc to manage temp and prevent any failure
you might be correct in terms in the process Singh, but by the time it reaches 90d and then opens the valve, it needs time to cool, so on the beach or hard driving it does not have the time to do that when the wheels are spinning and then sudden heat is generated, by the the time the valve opens , it is already too hot, the box cooks. I know this because i cooked the gearbox going beaches. Throw an oil cooler and this problem goes away. The cooling system is made for Europe where it is cooler and needs oil temp for viscosity. Wrong set-up for Oz.

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
you might be correct in terms in the process Singh, but by the time it reaches 90d and then opens the valve, it needs time to cool, so on the beach or hard driving it does not have the time to do that when the wheels are spinning and then sudden heat is generated, by the the time the valve opens , it is already too hot, the box cooks. I know this because i cooked the gearbox going beaches. Throw an oil cooler and this problem goes away. The cooling system is made for Europe where it is cooler and needs oil temp for viscosity. Wrong set-up for Oz.
Hi Bruza,
Did you cook the Touaregs gearbox? I just can't see how that could happen, the ecu, as per design, will not allow for temps higher than what's acceptable and would manage across the 3 stages of temps.
Seems my experience is opposite to yours.
Have had no problem with temps on and off-road, been to Stockton twice in two different CRs and also in the Amarok, gave it plenty in lower gears to keep the momentum and not a sign of any concern. And I would have no hesitation to take it across the Simpson for a re run across the french line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Hi Bruza,
Did you cook the Touaregs gearbox? I just can't see how that could happen, the ecu, as per design, will not allow for temps higher than what's acceptable and would manage across the 3 stages of temps.
Seems my experience is opposite to yours.
Have had no problem with temps on and off-road, been to Stockton twice in two different CRs and also in the Amarok, gave it plenty in lower gears to keep the momentum and not a sign of any concern. And I would have no hesitation to take it across the Simpson for a re run across the french line.
i can assure you, the gearbox was changed, came all the way from Germany (Air Freight). fitted another and went off to my trip beach driving and almost over heated the replacement so i got off the soft stuff. The CRs also have the alternator sitting low in the engine bay so that filled full of sand and had to be replaced. . That aside, the box runs hot. bypass this stupid valve set-up with a oil cooler and all this goes way. I did a lot of research and apparently Landrovers apparently had the same (although not sure if that is still the case with the newer models).

unfortunately that has been my experience, which is a shame because the Touareg is a comfortable vehicle but not well designed for the off road stuff to suit Oz.

Reactions: Benz1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Bruza, sounds like you’ve had some real transmission overheating issues. Did you use a off the shelf cooler set up or was it necessary to set up from scratch? I found one online for a Amarok, given the similarities would it be suitable?
Thanks for your comments.

·
Learner
6,218 Posts
sorry to hear about your experience. with the alternator, i had a look at mine after what you pointed and its very clean despite all the offroad trips. did you have the underside plastic protection off? there seems to be very little room for anything to get up there to impact it. now with sand, it goes flying into every nook and corner but where the alternator is positioned it looks pretty good from any harms way.
did you have to get it removed and cleaned up post your trip?
apologies, i am not undermining your view or experience in any way, but trying to prepare myself as I use the touareg for offroad adventures quite a bit.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts