Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Hi Bruce - as per posts above, mine is still an issue and trans is being replaced.
The diagnosis has revealed that my gerabox has failed through overheating, more likely during my light off-roading adventures. The clutch pack (or one of them) has overheated.

·
Registered
2019 Touareg Launch Edition
29 Posts
Morning All, after almost 2 weeks at the dealership my transmission has been replaced. It's a different car now - I've only driven for 2 days so early days yet, but no shudder under acceleration and I feel the transmission is much smoother overall. I'll continue to monitor but hoping this is the end of this 18 month ongoing saga.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has an update to this saga. I have 16k on the clock with a second service approaching. I still get the symptoms under firm acceleration and will mention it again to the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest as my Launch Edition CR Touareg started displaying same symptoms as described by others at around the 10,000km mark. I was very disappointed and was hoping to see if any solution could be found. I initially did the transmission reset as mentioned by others and that actually improved the lumpy/jerky acceleration that was evident up to 4th gear. Previously, no matter how I drove it (gentle or firm acceleration), the lumpy/jerky acceleration was still noticeable. After the reset it was a noticeable improvement, but I could sense it was going to slowly return. Until... We drove from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast 1800km and the car drove beautifully. Then we picked up our new Zone RV caravan 2.5T and towed it about 3000km touring back down to Melbourne (between lockdowns). Since this trip the car has performed flawlessly. There has been no sign or return of lumpy/jerky acceleration. I have now done 18,000km. I don't have a scientific explanation other than to say that I don't think COVID has been kind with all the lockdowns as our cars haven't had a chance to get decent highway runs or put the car under any serious load. Or maybe you've got to hitch up a load and go towing? Hoping we actually get to the bottom of it as so far this seems to be the only consistent flaw that has appeared to a decent number of Touareg CR owners.

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
263 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest as my Launch Edition CR Touareg started displaying same symptoms as described by others at around the 10,000km mark. I was very disappointed and was hoping to see if any solution could be found. I initially did the transmission reset as mentioned by others and that actually improved the lumpy/jerky acceleration that was evident up to 4th gear. Previously, no matter how I drove it (gentle or firm acceleration), the lumpy/jerky acceleration was still noticeable. After the reset it was a noticeable improvement, but I could sense it was going to slowly return. Until... We drove from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast 1800km and the car drove beautifully. Then we picked up our new Zone RV caravan 2.5T and towed it about 3000km touring back down to Melbourne (between lockdowns). Since this trip the car has performed flawlessly. There has been no sign or return of lumpy/jerky acceleration. I have now done 18,000km. I don't have a scientific explanation other than to say that I don't think COVID has been kind with all the lockdowns as our cars haven't had a chance to get decent highway runs or put the car under any serious load. Or maybe you've got to hitch up a load and go towing? Hoping we actually get to the bottom of it as so far this seems to be the only consistent flaw that has appeared to a decent number of Touareg CR owners.
Could it be part of the car’s “learning” software?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Hi, I have been dealing with this issue with VW for over a year and have come to the bottom of this. Firstly, then engines are from Bentley. Anyway, if you send message me your number i will talk it through. i can't post it just yet. The later engines have probably been resolved. Thanks bruce.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,812 Posts
@Bruza005 (Bruce) are you bound by a non-disclosure agreement or similar? ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I definitely feel like my gearbox is the biggest letdown on my car and also acceleration tends to be somewhat uneven.
When I accelerate it’s jerky in the power delivery. Even though it’s sluggish off the mark it tends to come on in surges with the power.
The gearbox sometimes engages and disengages quite abruptly also.
Not sure if one issue is fuel delivery and the other the gearbox or if they are both gearbox related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Touareg Launch Edition
29 Posts
I definitely feel like my gearbox is the biggest letdown on my car and also acceleration tends to be somewhat uneven.
When I accelerate it’s jerky in the power delivery. Even though it’s sluggish off the mark it tends to come on in surges with the power.
The gearbox sometimes engages and disengages quite abruptly also.
Not sure if one issue is fuel delivery and the other the gearbox or if they are both gearbox related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya Blade74 - I've got a new gearbox so now I'm thinking it's fuel delivery issues

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
It seems people are still having issues with the surging / jerking symptoms so i can now disclose what the issue is. The Launch Edition had an introductory engine from Bentley (which VW owns anyway), however the surging is caused from the lifter wearing prematurely which doesn't allow the valves to open and close correctly. Bently engines had this issue.

This is what causes the surging, not the gearbox. When they replaced a lifter in my Touareg, all this surging almost completely disappeared. it didn't completely disappear because more than likely others were shiot! People should be requesting to have valve clearance checked, every single one of them, and compared to specification.

VW have not been forthcoming in either doing a recall or advising kits customers, its disgraceful and there should be class action against them. I might even report them to the ACCC.

I don't know if the newer engines have been rectified, but the launch editions will certainly have this issue, every single one of them.

I also want to remind people that the cooling on the Touareg is atrocious, particularly on the gearbox. The set up is that there is a valve N509 that closes the oil circuit until it reaches operating temperature before it opens up and lets the oil circulate. This works great in cold weather like Germany etc but it is detrimental for Australian conditions because of the heat. The circuit is that the oil passes through a little heat exchanger at the gearbox, then passes through the radiator for further cooling. So you have hot oil going through a hot radiator. What a recipe for premature wear / failure. So if you are doing heavy towing and /or particularly a lot of beach driving, or planning to keep the car, then I strongly recommend that you invest in an oil cooler ASAP. it will set you back about $1500ish. VW are renowned for gearbox getting cooked because of this ridiculous set-up. You cannot remove the valve as it will throw a dash light, so you just have to plug the valve and leave it connected. They can plumb around it.

Hope sharing this will people on two fronts.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,218 Posts
I thought it was only the V8tdi that was a specific bentayga engine that was then repurposed for the Touareg instead to run it out.

The V6 is the same base engine used across many models in the VW Audi Porsche lineup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I am at 18k on my 2019 Premium and the "jerkiness" is getting worse. Time to get VW Gold Coast to look at it which is probably going to be the new year now.
Such a beautiful car to drive when crusing etc but the gearbox performance particularly when taking off and now when shifting down is disappointing for a car at this proce point. .

Are VW fully aware and open of the issue?

·
Registered
2019, Launch Edition
20 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a 2019 launch edition. Bought it 2nd hand from a dealer it had done 87000k. Now up to 90000k.
Had no problem with jerkiness in low gears at first, but now increasingly so. Which suggests to me dealer temporarily resolved the issue ??.
Thanks for all the input from everyone

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,218 Posts
It seems people are still having issues with the surging / jerking symptoms so i can now disclose what the issue is. The Launch Edition had an introductory engine from Bentley (which VW owns anyway), however the surging is caused from the lifter wearing prematurely which doesn't allow the valves to open and close correctly. Bently engines had this issue.

This is what causes the surging, not the gearbox. When they replaced a lifter in my Touareg, all this surging almost completely disappeared. it didn't completely disappear because more than likely others were shiot! People should be requesting to have valve clearance checked, every single one of them, and compared to specification.

VW have not been forthcoming in either doing a recall or advising kits customers, its disgraceful and there should be class action against them. I might even report them to the ACCC.

I don't know if the newer engines have been rectified, but the launch editions will certainly have this issue, every single one of them.

I also want to remind people that the cooling on the Touareg is atrocious, particularly on the gearbox. The set up is that there is a valve N509 that closes the oil circuit until it reaches operating temperature before it opens up and lets the oil circulate. This works great in cold weather like Germany etc but it is detrimental for Australian conditions because of the heat. The circuit is that the oil passes through a little heat exchanger at the gearbox, then passes through the radiator for further cooling. So you have hot oil going through a hot radiator. What a recipe for premature wear / failure. So if you are doing heavy towing and /or particularly a lot of beach driving, or planning to keep the car, then I strongly recommend that you invest in an oil cooler ASAP. it will set you back about $1500ish. VW are renowned for gearbox getting cooked because of this ridiculous set-up. You cannot remove the valve as it will throw a dash light, so you just have to plug the valve and leave it connected. They can plumb around it.

Hope sharing this will people on two fronts.
Hi mate,
Here's my understanding of it.
The ATF cooler for the gearbox sits on the torque converter, the oil in it is cooled by the coolant from the engine which is controlled by the ecu by opening or closing the n509 valve, to ensure the engine and gearbox warm up to optimum level quickly.
At 90deg engine coolant temp the valve is open to cool the ATF oil, gearbox. But during startup this is closed so engine and ATF can warm up as quickly as possible to optimum.

Further to this, there are 3 stages to gearbox temp management. Great than 125, 140 or 145 deg the gearbox and engine will be managed and shifts are moved up torque is reduced etc etc to manage temp and prevent any failure

Reactions: brickwalls

·
Registered
MY16 R-Line V8 Black (7P) + MY21 R-Line V8 Black (CR)
158 Posts
I found when I get to this particular section of road, my Touareg pulls over and stops briefly. Not long after under the bonnet gets very violent and the tyranny shifts hard - but 20 seconds later I start to run out of straight road at 200kmh, and then it just won't shift down out of 8th until I turn off on to the beach.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did you get on as I have the same issue?
Were they able to resolve the issue and if so what did they do?
Thanks in advance

Well I am at 18k on my 2019 Premium and the "jerkiness" is getting worse. Time to get VW Gold Coast to look at it which is probably going to be the new year now.
Such a beautiful car to drive when crusing etc but the gearbox performance particularly when taking off and now when shifting down is disappointing for a car at this proce point. .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Singh, as usual very concise and helpful.
So in your opinion is the engine and transmission cooling system on the CR Touareg up to the job? I must say I become concerned when I see the engine oil temp running at 120C or above.
I note that in my case the 190KW engine is the same as that used in the Amarok but for clearance reasons I guess, the oil pan capacity is significantly reduced. This can’t be good practice for engine longevity! Should owners planning on long ownership install extra cooling for both?

I also agree that the current CRV8 is of Bentayga origin but the V6 is Audi design and used in many VW Group vehicles.

Hi mate,
Here's my understanding of it.
The ATF cooler for the gearbox sits on the torque converter, the oil in it is cooled by the coolant from the engine which is controlled by the ecu by opening or closing the n509 valve, to ensure the engine and gearbox warm up to optimum level quickly.
At 90deg engine coolant temp the valve is open to cool the ATF oil, gearbox. But during startup this is closed so engine and ATF can warm up as quickly as possible to optimum.

Further to this, there are 3 stages to gearbox temp management. Great than 125, 140 or 145 deg the gearbox and engine will be managed and shifts are moved up torque is reduced etc etc to manage temp and prevent any failure

81 - 100 of 130 Posts