Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a year since I bought the CR Wolfsburg, and having just returned from a big cross country 10,000km trip that was both on and off-road across some iconic Aussie tracks, areas its worth writing up about it.
From east to west and then back via the off-road sections of great central etc this is what largely we covered over three weeks.
World Map Ecoregion Azure Line

I refer to Wolfsburg to talk about the additional features and how they performed in the conditions.

Firstly the positives, VW have managed to improve most aspects of the Touareg to make it better for such adventures. Having owned and driven all makes of the Touareg since 2004 I feel comfortable in saying that.
The air suspension with the additional active roll assist is awesome on and off-road. It eats up the worse of the corrugated tracks and hugs the road so well in twisted mounted tracks, love it! One of my fav parts of the CR.

The heated, cooled massage seats are nice to keep you going on a long drive.
Overtaking the long road trains is a breeze, the 210kw engine and gears do a good job putting you over the front with confidence. Having owned the V10 and V8 I didn't miss the extra kw's.
The V8 would be better if pulling a big van of course.
The Matrix headlights and night vision are again superb and give you the extra confidence to drive at dawn and dusk helping avoid animals. Great how the lights dance around cars and keep high beam on all the time.
Night vision picked up Roo's couple of times and rang the bells.

Car was boot full with gear, with rear seats tilted(not flat), pushed forward and with the cargo net in place there's so much room in the boot! Much more than 7l or 7p.
I had the extra spare in the boot and all the gear with it and still had space to put in plenty more! This included 20litrs water and fuel.
Running on 18s with duratrac wranglers it was the only 'modification'. Had no punctures at all. Ran 40 on road and 28 off-road.
With this weight, setup and 110km speed (except 130 across NT) the fuel efficiency was between 7-8 l/100.

Across the off-road, pot holed, bull dust ridden tracks it performed flawlessly, no sign of bull dust inside.
No noise, no rattles at all. I tried the air care function, I reckon it does it's magic very well to keep the air so fresh and clean, good addition that. More than a gimmick!
The Waeco fridge was run off a separate battery when not driving and it worked quite well. Last thing I wanted was risk a flat battery in the middle of nowhere.

So what can be better?
  • Full sized spare to go in the boot floor.
  • whilst there was no dust inside, the seals are very good, there is accumulation of lot of dust outside the seals around the sills. Especially the back 5th door and the rear lights they suck in dust alright. Not inside the lights but in the crevices, between the body and lights.
Another seal as close to the edge of the doors to prevent dust settling on the sills would help, but this was across the dustiest of areas outback.
- the lane assist does great job preventing anyone being careless and dozing off but I felt the system isn't suited to the endless, straight Aussie roads. The system keeps kicking in to falsely alert you to take over the steering wheel.
Across the Nullarbor and the longest, straightest road in Australia this kept on happening, or it must be the way I hold the steering.

Besides this a great trip on a great car. So comfortable, sure footed and capable for a trip on and off-road like this.
Few pictures to showcase what sort of terrain and places were covered.
Air suspension was in comfort on road and at off-road height when off-road.
Back home, few washes later it's clean and sparking, ready for the next one.

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Plant

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Working animal

Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Road surface

Automotive lighting Sky Automotive design Mode of transport Electricity

Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,750 Posts
in 10k klms of your trip...I knew EXACTLY where this is as soon as I saw it.
(The climb up the Madura Pass - Roadhouse/Motel down on your left)
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Road surface Natural landscape

Reactions: Singh

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 250602
God, you know that stretch well @Steve_L !! 🙂
Eucla is a good place to stay, until you get to Esperance

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,750 Posts
God, you know that stretch well @Steve_L !! 🙂
Eucla is a good place to stay, until you get to Esperance
many trips on 2 and 4 wheels across the paddock.
I prefer the 2 wheel trips. The sights, the smells - it just a completely different experience compared to the comfort of a 'reg. ;)

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many trips on 2 and 4 wheels across the paddock.
I prefer the 2 wheel trips. The sights, the smells - it just a completely different experience compared to the comfort of a 'reg. ;)
I spent 20 mins sitting there with a vacuum extension sucking out hundreds of bugs from 'intercooler' ports.
Sections through SA were bad, bugs all over smashing...
Anyway, wondered how bikies fared through the swarms..munch crunch...🙂

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,750 Posts
In 2015, we rode thru middle Victoria (Warracknabeal) straight into a plague of locusts. WOW..... they stink when they fry on the headers of the bike.
Fortunately, we were staying at a mates place that night and he had a hot water variable pressure washer. The bikes got detailed (so we thought).
About 2.5 years later.... we stripped my bike down to perform some electrical mods..... and the locusts we found in the crevices was amazing. They were crispy by then.

*sorry all...I'm going a bit off topic here

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 250602
Also recall this spot very well - Great overnight camp above the cutting on the right in this photo. Also some spots on the left. Great views out across the plain towards the ocean. There was over 30 vans and campers the night we stayed there. Is a "free camp" ie no facilities such a toilets, water etc

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also recall this spot very well - Great overnight camp above the cutting on the right in this photo. Also some spots on the left. Great views out across the plain towards the ocean. There was over 30 vans and campers the night we stayed there. Is a "free camp" ie no facilities such a toilets, water etc
Nice part of Oz, the bight... btw plenty of free camping sites across great central, but not many takers.... Wake up in the middle of night to dingoes and camels in the morning 🙂

Reactions: KM575

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Drone videos across GCR and Wylie beach, bay area

Again, the Touareg handled the sand, beach terrain very well.
Had traction control off and in offroad height. Good tyres help ofcourse.
Drone stopped following after I went above 70km, that's as fast it can keep up in sport mode

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's been a year since I bought the CR Wolfsburg, and having just returned from a big cross country 10,000km trip that was both on and off-road across some iconic Aussie tracks, areas its worth writing up about it.
From east to west and then back via the off-road sections of great central etc this is what largely we covered over three weeks.
View attachment 250592

I refer to Wolfsburg to talk about the additional features and how they performed in the conditions.

Firstly the positives, VW have managed to improve most aspects of the Touareg to make it better for such adventures. Having owned and driven all makes of the Touareg since 2004 I feel comfortable in saying that.
The air suspension with the additional active roll assist is awesome on and off-road. It eats up the worse of the corrugated tracks and hugs the road so well in twisted mounted tracks, love it! One of my fav parts of the CR.

Overtaking the long road trains is a breeze, the 210kw engine and gears do a good job putting you over the front with confidence. Having owned the V10 and V8 I didn't miss the extra kw's.
The Matrix headlights and night vision are again superb and give you the extra confidence to drive at dawn and dusk helping avoid animals. Great how the lights dance around cars and keep high beam on all the time.

Car was boot full with gear, with rear seats tilted(not flat), pushed forward and with the cargo net in place there's so much room in the boot! Much more than 7l or 7p.
I had the extra spare in the boot and all the gear with it and still had space to put in plenty more! This included 20litrs water and fuel.
Running on 18s with duratrac wranglers it was the only 'modification'. Had no punctures at all. Ran 40 on road and 28 off-road.
With this weight, setup and 110km speed (except 130 across NT) the fuel efficiency was between 7-8 l/100.

Across the off-road, pot holed, bull dust ridden tracks it performed flawlessly, no sign of bull dust inside.
No noise, no rattles at all. I tried the air care function, I reckon it does it's magic very well to keep the air so fresh and clean, good addition that. More than a gimmick!
The Waeco fridge was run off a separate battery when not driving and it worked quite well. Last thing I wanted was risk a flat battery in the middle of nowhere.

So what can be better?
  • whilst there was no dust inside, the seals are very good, there is accumulation of lot of dust outside the seals around the sills. Especially the back 5th door and the rear lights they suck in dust alright. Not inside the lights but in the crevices, between the body and lights.
Another seal as close to the edge of the doors to prevent dust settling on the sills would help, but this was across the dustiest of areas outback.
- the lane assist does great job preventing anyone being careless and dozing off but I felt the system isn't suited to the endless, straight Aussie roads. The system keeps kicking in to falsely alert you to take over the steering wheel.
Across the Nullarbor and the longest, straightest road in Australia this kept on happening, or it must be the way I hold the steering.

Besides this a great trip on a great car. So comfortable, sure footed and capable for a trip on and off-road like this.

View attachment 250596
View attachment 250595
View attachment 250593
View attachment 250594
View attachment 250599
View attachment 250598
Thanks for shsring,somgreat roads there.I know what you mean by the dust.

·
Registered
2019 Launch Edition White Sunroof Innovision
270 Posts
Drone videos across GCR and Wylie beach, bay area

Again, the Touareg handled the sand, beach terrain very well.
Had traction control off and in offroad height. Good tyres help ofcourse.
Drone stopped following after I went above 70km, that's as fast it can keep up in sport mode

Singh,

Love how your able to maximise the trips away. Love reading the reports and great drone shots.

Definately agree on 2 points . No dust in actual car , but around rear door and tail lights you can wash for days and still get the red coming out.
The other point and it gave me a startle the first time it happened and then annoyed me when doing 100 towing 3.4 Ton van, when driving straight (And not really for that long) it dings.

Definately a better riding vehicle and although would have loved to have Low Range, really have not missed it that much.

I have said for years they should have released a "Dakar" version. Long Range Fuel Tank, Better under Body More height in suspension travel and a few other bits

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi @Packhorse
Yes, around town and most regional drives it doesn't have a problem but gets sensitive on the longer outback straights. I considered exploring a way to technically turning it down but the safety of it wins, just incase you wander off the lane, at those speeds life and death.

I am with you, conceptually miss the low range and diff locks but so far practically haven't faced any issue. Though I will put it to test on some adventures later this year where slower speed and crawl is required.
The adventure model, limited release, came closest to it, with underbody protection and extra mapping for sand and gravel.
Look ahead to the Dakar model 👍
For now, for most outback cross country tracks and travels the CR is quite fitting.
The larger off-road suited tyres give extra clearance ....

Reactions: Packhorse

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Hi Singh. Wow what a great adventure you had! Love the photos and videos - beautiful Touareg and scenery! Must have been so much fun!!! Thank you for sharing.

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Singh - what rims and tyres were on Wolf for this trip?
Hi Cruiserbear,
goodyear wrangler duratrac 265 60 on custom 18 inch rims from BSA in sydney.

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
#lake macdonald - pink on one side and blue on the other....well wasnt quite that on the day given the clouds.... again no issues going down to the beach area or the potholes or the corrugations....suspension is brilliant.
Sky Water Cloud Water resources Coastal and oceanic landforms

Water Sky Water resources Ecoregion Cloud
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Ecoregion

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 250592

So what can be better?

View attachment 250596
View attachment 250595
View attachment 250593
View attachment 250594
View attachment 250599
View attachment 250598
I’m just jealous I can’t afford to update my R50 🤔

·
Learner
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m just jealous I can’t afford to update my R50 🤔
Haha, the r50 should be worth a pretty penny given the current used car market sentiment.
Our yearning for the latest and greatest is unrelenting of course 🙂

If you do get a chance try out the active roll assist in the CR around some twisty roads, and since there are different maps for each driving mode for roll intervention, try sport of course . meanwhile will report back on how well it performs off-road tracks(low range type) where it completely decouples on the pothole side vs the other to have as much traction

1 - 19 of 19 Posts