Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I own a 2013 V6 TDI, which has gathered quite a few kilometers and I'm about to gift it to my mom. And that means I need a new car!
I have been looking at 2 models now: S350 and Cayenne Diesel, both from 2015. I know these are kind of different.
Do you think the upgrade to a 2015 Cayenne Diesel (so the facelift of the Cayenne that looked exactly like a T3 from the side) would be nice?
What I really appreciated about the T3 was that it was really comfortable. But I'm a bit angrier than the average Touareg driver, and I hate how heavy the front was and the front wheels would quit in every damn corner when I decided it was time for fun. Interior quality was also, in my opinion, not adequate for that price.
Is the Cayenne (with air suspension) a bit better around corners(not going to take it to the track, just some fun) ? And what about interior quality? It surely looks nice. I don't NEED an SUV, just AWD. But I love the looks of the Cayenne.
Would you buy an S class or a Cayenne (SUV bonuses are not necessary) coming from a T3? Curiously, the examples I liked are very similary priced. Not an intelligent comparison, but it has to be comfortable, large and sort of stable on its feet, and also look better than a 7 series, which is not difficult.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The 2004 T1 started life looking like the inside of Audi and driving Porsche light. Every single year the VAG bean counters tried to cut the cost of the VW variant. Yes, I am giving the stink eye to Wintercorn as I say this. The current mess imo is his personal mess.

By the time we get to the T3, there is no comparison. VW had cut every corner leaving it looking very poor on the inside compared to the 2004. Among other things, VW had also put on much smaller suspension components to save costs. A popular upgrade was to get the Cayenne Sway Bars and move them over to the Touareg.

At this point in time, many VW dealers are incapable of fixing Touaregs while the Porsche guys provide excellent service. VW parts markups are done very differently from Porsche, so sometimes parts actually cost more at the VW dealership.

Not much you can do with the heavy TDI engine, but the front end can be set up better to handle the weight. I think a test drive will prove the Cayenne drives better.

tldr: From your VW complaints, you will LOVE a Cayenne. Test drive one.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nickyt,
Could not agree with you more.
Only negative is (and its a major one) the cost! You start with a base Cayenne and its comparable with the Touareg, then you add middle of the road options and its almost double the price!! This is why I went with the Touareg and not the Cayenne. Only 3 different packages available in NA for the Touareg and the price is favourable. Exactly the same options on the Cayenne and you are over $100k! (same Bosch modules running the 2 different cars)!!

Now that the Touareg is not marketed in Canada anymore :(
(don’t get me started on the Atlas), I too will head to the Cayenne in a few years, if its still available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts