Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had already felt a high confidence level with my stock Touareg brakes, but a particular incident really made my love my car

I had been pulling my 20' boat w/ tandem axle trailer.. roughly ~4300lbs all in. We were cruising 45mph through some windy hills. A new ford explorer slammed on his brakes out of nowhere and then put on his blinker to make a left hand turn at the bottom of a very steep valley, all the while coming to a complete stop as there was a car coming down the hill in the opposite direction. It was as though the Explorer didn't really know where he was going and decided to turn at the last second.
I was in the middle of a conversation and stopped, knowing for certain we were about to blast this Explorer into smithereens. I had laid into the brakes hard.. we were still gaining speed on the explorer, so I laid into them harder. I just knew that at any second the brakes would begin to fade and it wasn't a matter of "Am I going to hit this this Explorer?", it was a matter of "How fast will I be going when we hit?".
Eventually I realized there was more pedal left.. I laid into it harder. The ABS started chirping the tires to a stop, and we stopped 2-3' short of the explorer.

I sat there in shock.. not at the ass who couldn't signal properly, but how in the hell did this big truck with this big heavy boat stop in time? I've trailered similar loads on bigger trucks and not felt this comfortable in the braking abilities.

I was also in shock that this big giant with a 4300lb load could ever have enough braking power to begin locking up the ABS.. going downhill. I've never experienced such powerful, authoritative braking before.. much less under tow.

I'm 100% a believer in these trucks in every way. Every day I learn something new that blows me away with its engineering.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It sure sounds like your trailer doesn't have any brakes on it... or they are not working as they should.
That kind of a load with tandem braked axles and are adjusted properly shouldn't overwhelm the Touareg's binders.....

Are there brakes on the boat trailer? Do they function? When is the last time you had them checked\serviced?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trailer has surge brakes.

Also, if you got the opinion that I felt the touareg brakes were overwhelmed even a little bit, I apologize for the misrepresentation. The brakes were the most solid brakes I've ever driven under load.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been a passenger in a full size truck where the exact same scenario unfolded. A vehicle slammed on the brakes to turn without thinking much about it. Truck was towing a 22' boat weighing about 5,000 lbs. Trailer was a two axle trailer with disc brakes and surge hitch. I thought we were going to hit the car in front of us but the trailer brakes locked up and the ABS on the tow vehicle did it's job. It is rather incredible when tow brakes do their job and surprising just how much they help.

In most states trailers more than 3000 (or is that 3500) lbs require brakes on the trailer and periodic inspection of the brakes. If you are towing 4000 lbs your trailer is supposed to have working brakes.

I can also comment and say I was very impressed by the Touareg brakes when towing. If the tow vehicle and towed vehicle are setup properly there won't be that much of a difference between towing and not towing.

With a 24' cargo trailer and properly setup electric brakes the Touareg stops very quickly. But that isn't to say extra following distance isn't needed.

Make sure whenever you tow your trailer brakes are working properly, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar thing happed a few weeks ago while towing our camping trailer, I thought I was going to plow into the guy who decided at the last minute they had to slam on the brakes and pull to the shoulder, but the Touareg and the electric trailer brakes did their job beautifully. Everything stayed straight and ground to a halt in an amazing distance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hearing these stories is awesome. Its a good feeling knowing you have such technology and power with these rides. They really are engineering marvels. Absolutely LOVE my Touareg. Best all around daily driver I could ever in a million years ask for.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Touareg’s have 24 different maps over and above the normal 100’s of normal maps when you plug in the electrics on a trailer.
It will sense the trailer, acceleration, deceleration, pressure of brake pedal, angle of steering, Rotational force, gyration, yaw, pitch, roll, wheel speed sensors and various other variables and adjust the ABS accordingly along with throttle pedal.
For example, if you arrive at a corner too fast while towing a trailer, it will measure the yaw, roll and pitch, angle of steering and brake the trailer slightly so that the trailer doesn’t push you off the road.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Hearing these stories is awesome. Its a good feeling knowing you have such technology and power with these rides. They really are engineering marvels. Absolutely LOVE my Touareg. Best all around daily driver I could ever in a million years ask for.
Yes. Ferdinand Piëch was a great engineer, perhaps one of the world's best. He had a great vision. Touareg, Phaeton, etc. As a leader, his management style was difficult is a understatement.

Piëch wanted to redefine what the worlds best products meant. His engineering team focused on world best everything. Just look at the brake system on the original T1. It is way way way way way way way overbuilt. That system could be put on a 200mph race car or on a vehicle three times the size of the Touareg.

Winterkorn wanted to redefine what the most profitable (ie cheapest built) products meant. His accountants focused on cutting stupid crap, such as taking the centering hub off of the wheels, saving four cents of metal per wheel and leading to the famous steering wheel shake syndrome.

As far as cars go, Piëch had the Porsche mentality. Best, period.

Winterkorn seems more complicated. Stories I have read indicate that Winterkorn hated putting the best of anything in VW. VW was meant to be the commoners car. If you wanted good, you buy Audi. If you want common, you buy VW. In my opinion, Winterkorn spent too much time trying to de-content the VW lineup and not enough time trying to make a great product.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Touareg’s have 24 different maps over and above the normal 100’s of normal maps when you plug in the electrics on a trailer.
It will sense the trailer, acceleration, deceleration, pressure of brake pedal, angle of steering, Rotational force, gyration, yaw, pitch, roll, wheel speed sensors and various other variables and adjust the ABS accordingly along with throttle pedal.
For example, if you arrive at a corner too fast while towing a trailer, it will measure the yaw, roll and pitch, angle of steering and brake the trailer slightly so that the trailer doesn’t push you off the road.
Wow, I had no idea there was so much programmed into even simply braking w/ a trailer. Simply incredible. I love it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. Ferdinand Piëch was a great engineer, perhaps one of the world's best. He had a great vision. Touareg, Phaeton, etc. As a leader, his management style was difficult is a understatement.

Piëch wanted to redefine what the worlds best products meant. His engineering team focused on world best everything. Just look at the brake system on the original T1. It is way way way way way way way overbuilt. That system could be put on a 200mph race car or on a vehicle three times the size of the Touareg.

Winterkorn wanted to redefine what the most profitable (ie cheapest built) products meant. His accountants focused on cutting stupid crap, such as taking the centering hub off of the wheels, saving four cents of metal per wheel and leading to the famous steering wheel shake syndrome.

As far as cars go, Piëch had the Porsche mentality. Best, period.

Winterkorn seems more complicated. Stories I have read indicate that Winterkorn hated putting the best of anything in VW. VW was meant to be the commoners car. If you wanted good, you buy Audi. If you want common, you buy VW. In my opinion, Winterkorn spent too much time trying to de-content the VW lineup and not enough time trying to make a great product.
Thats great information :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know what you mean, towed 7500 lbs cross country (FL to WA) with 20 ft high ceiling enclosed car hauler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
5.0 or 3.0 TDI? How did it pull?
If you are asking me, it was a 4.2 with 130k miles. I took the southern route. New brakes and good electric trailer brakes. Worked a little harder going up Black Caynon, AZ (was in August), but she made it. I do have a weight distribution & sway bar. That makes a big difference, especially since my trailer has 90" inside ceiling height plus ground clearance. There are a lot of side winds in certain areas in UT.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Wait...you’re saying my Touareg can control the trailer brakes autonomously? I’ve never seen this feature described before. Any more info on this, please.

Harry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait...you’re saying my Touareg can control the trailer brakes autonomously? I’ve never seen this feature described before. Any more info on this, please.

Harry
Far as i I know, Tiguans had this functionality too, but you had to pay like $1,000 for the dealership to install the add-on trailer module (not REQUIRED for towing, only for the advanced options) to access it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
VW's never brake the trailer separately as almost all European setups are inertial or overrun brakes.
The only signal that goes to the trailer is from the added brake controller that VW does not supply (wiring is providing on US trailer prep, however).
The trailer module does develop the trailer light signals along with the brake signal used by the controller, however the actual brake current must be developed in that controller, the brake signal being only the enable signal for the controller.
New technology uses solid state detectors to determine braking requirements with no signal from the VW other than the fact that the brake switch has been activated.
The trailer module does change the maps for the engine, cooling and transmission etc. to optimize the system and also modify the ESP to account for the trailer dynamics as most other European and now US cars do as well.
I have used a P3 Teknosha controller with my Jetta TDI Sportwagens and Town and Country.
For my Touareg I installed a Redarc Tow Pro with the single adjusting dial on the dash next to the light switch.
While I like the installation and the lack of the box hanging under the dash the P3 worked better and smoother.

·
Registered
52 Posts
VW's never brake the trailer separately as almost all European setups are inertial or overrun brakes.
The only signal that goes to the trailer is from the added brake controller that VW does not supply (wiring is providing on US trailer prep, however).
The trailer module does develop the trailer light signals along with the brake signal used by the controller, however the actual brake current must be developed in that controller, the brake signal being only the enable signal for the controller.
New technology uses solid state detectors to determine braking requirements with no signal from the VW other than the fact that the brake switch has been activated.
The trailer module does change the maps for the engine, cooling and transmission etc. to optimize the system and also modify the ESP to account for the trailer dynamics as most other European and now US cars do as well.
I have used a P3 Teknosha controller with my Jetta TDI Sportwagens and Town and Country.
For my Touareg I installed a Redarc Tow Pro with the single adjusting dial on the dash next to the light switch.
While I like the installation and the lack of the box hanging under the dash the P3 worked better and smoother.
True. I use the also the P3. The module also incorporates the alarm system to the trailer. If the cable is disconnected while the alarm is activated, the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The trailer module does change the maps for the engine, cooling and transmission etc. to optimize the system and also modify the ESP to account for the trailer dynamics
Aha! So it does!! That explains why my car shifts absolutely PERFECTLY when under tow! I mean, my Touareg shifts perfectly 100% of the time I absolutely love it.. but this explains why when my boat is connected it never lugs out, it never shifts early etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
volkswagens-for-life
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing