Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, planning a Cape York trip next August. I have a 2015 7P V8, was planning to swap out for a new Landcruiser 300, but May attempt using the Touareg.

has anyone done this trip with Touareg 7P? Not planning to go too crazy with the off road parts and will be towing a camper trailer. Following questions:

what size wheels can I put on, 17,18” and what tyres? Need to be mindful of brsize, have heard only the 18” fit on the V8

would like a 2nd battery, what’s the best way to do this ?

is it realistic to use a Touareg. I think they are capable, just not sure on potential issues, air suspension over the corrugated roads etc, will it hold up?

Feedback appreciated, especially from those who have done the trip.

thanks

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,795 Posts
Go with 18s that's the minimum you can fit on the V8. Have a full sized spare for sure.

Get good at or mt tyres. Second battery is good to have but not a must have, are you travelling with someone? Get a DC to DC charger and pick up a second battery/case to plug fridge, accessories into.
Will you be doing OTT ? Or just the development road? If the latter then it's a dead easy trip, but be careful on the bends at those speeds, not many are familiar with how to drive the corrugated, slippery bends.
If doing sections of OTT then you will be going quite slow, some parts and detours there so you can chicken out.
The Touareg is more than capable to do this eyes closed. The only limitation is not having a snorkel, which is a must across the deep ditches, some sections of OTT that are full of water at times.
The air suspension is awesome and bullet proof, put the suspension in high and lock it. Touareg traverses such terrain brilliantly, much better than what you mention...

Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did the trip a few years ago in a Nissan Patrol and one of our party drove a Touareg. It did the job easily (which is why I have bought one). He did crack a rim but if you get smaller rims with higher profile tyres (more sidewall), then run on reduced tyre pressures, that will solve that problem. The development road is just like any other dirt road in Australia - it can be great one day and crap the next depending on weather and traffic. The OTT is another matter and should really only be attempted if you have experience and are with others, especially if you are crazy enough to try and tow anything along there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go with 18s that's the minimum you can fit on the V8. Have a full sized spare for sure.

Get good at or mt tyres. Second battery is good to have but not a must have, are you travelling with someone? Get a DC to DC charger and pick up a second battery/case to plug fridge, accessories into.
Will you be doing OTT ? Or just the development road? If the latter then it's a dead easy trip, but be careful on the bends at those speeds, not many are familiar with how to drive the corrugated, slippery bends.
If doing sections of OTT then you will be going quite slow, some parts and detours there so you can chicken out.
The Touareg is more than capable to do this eyes closed. The only limitation is not having a snorkel, which is a must across the deep ditches, some sections of OTT that are full of water at times.
The air suspension is awesome and bullet proof, put the suspension in high and lock it. Touareg traverses such terrain brilliantly, much better than what you mention...

Enjoy the trip.
Thanks Singh, always providing great feedback!

am travelling with others, some have already done the trip. Plan is to do a mix of tracks, but fully aware of limitations etc, no snorkel. Do want to get into some areas, like Chilli beach, hopefully that section is ok.

good idea on the battery!

with the wheels, what size am I looking for 18x8.5 or 9 and what size tyre?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the trip a few years ago in a Nissan Patrol and one of our party drove a Touareg. It did the job easily (which is why I have bought one). He did crack a rim but if you get smaller rims with higher profile tyres (more sidewall), then run on reduced tyre pressures, that will solve that problem. The development road is just like any other dirt road in Australia - it can be great one day and crap the next depending on weather and traffic. The OTT is another matter and should really only be attempted if you have experience and are with others, especially if you are crazy enough to try and tow anything along there.
Thanks for the feedback, yep, I think 💭 f I take the Treg, I’ll be mindful of where I take it. Even if I took a brand new LC300, not sure I’m game to go too far on the OTT!

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
No worries, I would encourage you to do the main challenging sections of the OTT, heart pounding but you will see how really the Touareg does all that.
Development road and that ordinary drive to chili beach is just that, kinda ordinary.
Chili beach itself, hmmm except for that one photo shot....

Highlights for me were the extremely deep and narrow twists, turns roller coasters of OTT. Some 20mtr sections took more that half hour to cross....

For tyres get 265 60 18s, Pirelli at plus or equivalent.
If you don't have 18 inch rims then get the Porsche, Audi rims that are easily available have the same pcd and offset.
The touareg 7L rims fit as well, I have one left if you want. 7L and 7P are the same size except the R5 in 7L.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, I would encourage you to do the main challenging sections of the OTT, heart pounding but you will see how really the Touareg does all that.
Development road and that ordinary drive to chili beach is just that, kinda ordinary.
Chili beach itself, hmmm except for that one photo shot....

Highlights for me were the extremely deep and narrow twists, turns roller coasters of OTT. Some 20mtr sections took more that half hour to cross....

For tyres get 265 60 18s, Pirelli at plus or equivalent.
If you don't have 18 inch rims then get the Porsche, Audi rims that are easily available have the same pcd and offset.
The touareg 7L rims fit as well, I have one left if you want. 7L and 7P are the same size except the R5 in 7L.
thanks Singh. One more question. I had a class 4 Hayman Reece installed, without the controller. If I'm towing a Jayco off-road or similar, would you get the VW controller to control Fan, boot etc or ust add a brake controller?

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
If you're towing then you need a brake controller for sure, unless it's less than 750kg of course, but given its plug and play you can DIY.
Don't understand what you mean by controlling fan?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're towing then you need a brake controller for sure, unless it's less than 750kg of course, but given its plug and play you can DIY.
Don't understand what you mean by controlling fan?
Hi Singh, Factory towbar comes with a box that manages the towbar and links to ECU. Manages fan speed, adjusts gearing etc. Apparently its good if towing something like a big caravan but have heard for a camper trailer, not required.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Hi Singh, Factory towbar comes with a box that manages the towbar and links to ECU. Manages fan speed, adjusts gearing etc. Apparently its good if towing something like a big caravan but have heard for a camper trailer, not required.
Ok, got it.
Yes it does, so you got the towbar installed without the towing module!? That's blasphemy! 😊
I personally highly recommend original VW towbar and towbar module.
There's more than just the fan, temp control it controls so best get that asap!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got it.
Yes it does, so you got the towbar installed without the towing module!? That's blasphemy! 😊
I personally highly recommend original VW towbar and towbar module.
There's more than just the fan, temp control it controls so best get that asap!
Yep, definitely in the plan. Was $3k for the OEM bar and module or $1300 for the Hayman 3500kg. I’ll add the module before I travel

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Yep, definitely in the plan. Was $3k for the OEM bar and module or $1300 for the Hayman 3500kg. I’ll add the module before I travel
They are all 3500kg, Hayman can't do better than manufacturers rating.
I wouldn't go back to whoever quoted 3k.
Should have been just over 2k inc the module all fitted and coded.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are all 3500kg, Hayman can't do better than manufacturers rating.
I wouldn't go back to whoever quoted 3k.
Should have been just over 2k inc the module all fitted and coded.
I checked the quote and correct, it was $2400 and not 3k for the Westfalia hidden tow bar. I’ll get the module added, I think they are around $400 plus coding.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
I checked the quote and correct, it was $2400 and not 3k for the Westfalia hidden tow bar. I’ll get the module added, I think they are around $400 plus coding.
Hidden Towbar, now you're talking, didn't know westfalia made, offered that.
Would be good to know where from

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hidden Towbar, now you're talking, didn't know westfalia made, offered that.
Would be good to know where from
Hi Singh, details below. It was the preferred option but couldn’t make it up there in time for when a needed a bar fitted! They look like a good operator with plenty of options.

·
Learner
5,795 Posts
Hi Singh, details below. It was the preferred option but couldn’t make it up there in time for when a needed a bar fitted! They look like a good operator with plenty of options.

Thanks for sharing that @Chugga , I would like to get the automated one they have in Europe. Perhaps VW will take a factory order next time

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just be wary of some of those "hidden" bars. They connect from underneath the car and you are limited to the ball type coupling they supply. They sometimes are not compatible with other party off road couplings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Chugga.
Did the Cape last year in our 2014 7P. No old tele track to speak of, but up the PDR without a glitch. Ran 17" stock rims with Pirelli AT plus, (at 30psi once on the gravel, and a little less in sand once you get up a bit). We weren't towing up there, but the gravel took a toll on the tyres. Always a compromise between wear and grip I guess.

If you've got air suspension on your car, you and your passengers will love the 'comfort' setting, as there is lots of corries! But it's a blast to jump outta the car still fresh at the end of the day and watching all the cruiser/patrol/whatever drivers stretching their backs and rubbing their arse 🤭🤭.

Couple of tips...Drive the verge of the road where it's safe to do so, it will be smoother!

If you see a sign that says 'DIP' then slow TF right down. They are deceptive.

Take your time. There's plenty to do besides drive to the tip. Get the mud map from the Croc Tent (that'll make sense when you get there!) as it's pretty helpful, lots of good side trips to do.

Read the signs and stay out of the water to avoid being eaten. Crocs will kill you.

Enjoy the planning. It's a great trip.

There's a bit of info about some more mods we did to the car in this thread

Fit out for off road camping/living out of the car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts