Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the forum for a while and it’s my first post.
Driving a 2013 7P 3.0 TDi R Line fitted with 20inch wheels. Purchased the car with 54000kms a few years ago, fitted with Dunlop tyres, car drove perfectly, handled beautifully and stiff.
Changed the tyres 275/45/20 after they worn out at 70000kms to Nexen NFera as I used this tyres on previous cars before. The Touareg hated these, lots of body roll, the car couldn’t corner at all, during high speed cornering the rear would basically be hanging on for dear life with the whole car lifting to one side.
Removed these tyres at 75000kms it was just too dangerous and fitted the Michelin Latitude Sport NO approved tyre, this completely changed the car, it handled like a Golf, no issues, no bounce, no body roll, no nose dive and feeling floppy, awesome handling tyre, the ride was a little harder on uneven surfaces that’s all. Great handling tyre. I went through 2 sets of these with no issues.
Now at 145000kms I needed tire changing with the summer rains upon us here in sunny South Africa.
Was shopping around and trying to find something else, like Continental, Pirelli, Goodyear, premium tyres but for a little less. Have seen many SUV’s all fitted with these tyres.
After much research and looking around I settled upon the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym SUV4x4. price wise they weren’t too bad, a little cheaper then the Michelin.
But now the floppy ride, a little bounce and the car leaning to one side trying to hold on is back. I’m not sure if this is a tyre issue or the Michelin is just one damn good tyre. It’s not as bad as when I had the Nexen, but it certainly no where near the handling and planted ride of the Michelin. I know the thread pattern is slightly different to the Michelin, the Goodyears being more of a block pattern than the Michelin with a big shoulder.
Could it be the case of worn out shocks, incorrect alignment, etc or does the Touareg only want the Michelin? Certainly this can’t be the case.
Please provide your experience.

· Registered
68 Posts
I've always had Pirelli on mine, and have had no handling issues. At 210,000 kms, with all the original suspension/steering components, I'm always surprised how well it handles for a heavy SUV.

Looking at the Michelin compared to the Goodyear, you've gone from a performance tyre to a all season tyre. Handling performance is definitely going to suffer with the Goodyear, but they should perform better in wet conditions than the Michelin.

It's always nice to save money, but I tend to stick with something that I've found works well, even if it costs a little more.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Pirelli do you use?
Agreed the Michelins are performance with semi slick kind of thread pattern, I assume the thread pattern also makes a difference.
my question is then how do other Touaregs/SUV’s with all these different brands handle/corner? certainly not as poor as this.
The Goodyear gives a really soft ride on the bumpy roads and in general but The clumsy/ floppy ride is just not pleasant, you don’t want to push it or even climb to higher speeds, scared the car might spin out of control in corners or in an emergency braking situation, it’s like driving one of these higher load courier trucks.

I’ve seen many SUV’s, Range Rover, X5, Touaregs, Q7, Volvo using Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli Scorpion Verde, and wonder how if they have the same handling/ride issue

· Registered
09 TDi
1,117 Posts
I've got Michelin Latitudes and they are an all season..but I've also got Cayenne sways bars, bushings & springs plus Bilstein B6 dampers. No wallowing or leaning in corners which it did with the Michelins but not since the suspension upgrade.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even over speed humps, you feel the car rocking, never did the before.
I even stood outside and rocked the car to see if it’s rocking more then it should, can a tyre have such a major impact on the entire suspension setup?

· Registered
2004 V8
399 Posts
Keep one thing in mind, the longer the treadwear warranty, the slicker (long-lasting rubber compound is not as sticky) the tire. There are a few exceptions.
With heavy vehicles such as Treg, choosing the proper compound tire is important.

Cheers...

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
First of all, are your pressures proper?
Second of all, you're only listing brands.... not actual specific "tyre" models. Provide actual details of what you had and what you have.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, are your pressures proper?
Second of all, you're only listing brands.... not actual specific "tyre" models. Provide actual details of what you had and what you have.
Thanks for your reply, i did mention above, but here goes.
I ran the Michelin Latitude Sport NO, which is the Porsche approved tyre, was excellent.
Tyre pressure was Front 2.3, Rear, 2.5

Now have the clumsy/wobbly road holding on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym SUV4x4 tyre.
Tyre pressure is 2.5 all round

1 - 16 of 16 Posts