Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might help some with knowing towbar limits... applicable for Australia..2109 CR model

The not so interesting part is how the downweight/ ball weight is lower as the engine size increases now??
The least powerful engine has the max ball weight. Surely this cant be true?

The 310kw has ball weight of 240kg vs the 170kw which can take 300kg.
Big difference to the V10 i still have that can take 350kgs and pull 3500

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's appalling!!, the 280kg on my V8 Rline is satisfactory (while not ideal) but these further reductions with the latest model definitely puts it off my shopping list.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,810 Posts
Singh,

I'd like to know (if you ask VWA) if that sticker was applied by VW Germany...or applied during the compliance procedure upon arrival in Australia, before assignment to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That information sticker is crazy especially what it shows regarding the BL reductions between the V6 TDI models, my initial impression was that it must have something to do with the rear axle loads between models but what it states about the various V6's variants shows it's not rear axle related.

As a matter of interest is that information replicated in the CR model's log book anywhere??

TonyB

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently this is the reality given the new model/design/regulations
So if you want to pull something big and heavy then get the smallest engine and chug along....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Presumably the 170KW version and perhaps some of the others have steel suspension, that may explain the higher ball load capability. It is hard to find the exact specs.

From today's News about the COTY: "The Volkswagen Touareg shone against premium competition in Launch Edition form but a cheaper version tested here didn’t fare as well without the premium car’s air suspension, lacking polish on country roads."

·
Registered
220 Posts
They've lost their marbles putting those stats on that sticker!! Obviously their great talents at making the car significantly lighter, has come at the cost of strength in the chassis. Real shame, and they'll lose sales over it too no doubt. Really dumb founds me sometimes what car companies are thinking when they design cars.

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T1 T2 with steel suspension pulls 350/3500
Mind you i love what they have done with the body, suspension and the lightweight transmission that makes it super quiet vibration free and silky smooth
Apparently the new regulations have something to do with it as well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seems weird, but two things come to mind. Does the V8 run low profile tyres as stock? More likely it's the chassis - heavy front and rear might stress the central chassis regions (think bananas), so the smaller motor gets a bigger load rating on the back end. I'm no engineer, but I know VW have a few around, so I reckon there'll be a solid reason for that weight downgrade.

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems weird, but two things come to mind. Does the V8 run low profile tyres as stock? More likely it's the chassis - heavy front and rear might stress the central chassis regions (think bananas), so the smaller motor gets a bigger load rating on the back end. I'm no engineer, but I know VW have a few around, so I reckon there'll be a solid reason for that weight downgrade.
This hasnt been the case so far, v10 and v8s have had the same rating as v6 Touaregs up until now.
Same goes for tyres, profile hasnt made any difference.
I hope this is a mistake and not what truly vw will be offering

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
829 Posts
In European Type Approval, the towbar limitation would just be one set of figures - even if certain model versions had lower limits - the label pictured doesn't relate to European regulations as a 3500 kg towing load must have a minimum noseweight limit of 140 kg, ie 4% of the maximum towing load.

The fact that the noseweight reduces with rear seat passengers implies some sort of rear suspension limitation but I can't imagine why it should go so low as 80 kg

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree and this has never been the case, heavier engine models have had the same rating so far
Must be change in regs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Appreciate the information and likely rationale for different tow ball weight based upon engine configurations.Tony and I discussed at length but can't understand the logic.. Is the Westfalia label information confirmed in CR manual by VW Australia in writing?
It looks like my old T2 172 Kw steel suspension with 3500/350 Kgs will need to live a lot longer. Was looking at options for slight lift and suspension upgrade. This is now a foregone conclusion. OLIE.

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate the information and likely rationale for different tow ball weight based upon engine configurations.Tony and I discussed at length but can't understand the logic.. Is the Westfalia label information confirmed in CR manual by VW Australia in writing?
It looks like my old T2 172 Kw steel suspension with 3500/350 Kgs will need to live a lot longer. Was looking at options for slight lift and suspension upgrade. This is now a foregone conclusion. OLIE.
Nothing confirmed and hoping this isn't the reality we'll contend with.
I too am awaiting confirmation, before I invest in a new v8
Gives me a reason to other wise hang on to the V10 and the current v8

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing confirmed and hoping this isn't the reality we'll contend with.
I too am awaiting confirmation, before I invest in a new v8
Gives me a reason to other wise hang on to the V10 and the current v8
I'm confused??? I just picked up my new Launch Edition CR and concerned that my trusty 2010 Kia Sorento could handle more tow ball weight than the CR? Where was the label located in your photo Singh?

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm confused??? I just picked up my new Launch Edition CR and concerned that my trusty 2010 Kia Sorento could handle more tow ball weight than the CR? Where was the label located in your photo Singh?
Drivers door, next to the other labels for tyre pressure etc, see the picture posted

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I'll check mine tonight...
Similarly there should be one on the tow bar itself
Assume your towbar was fitted by a dealer, westfalia?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a label on the towbar saying rated for 3500kg, but then for towball weight says to refer to OHB (assume Owners Hand Book). However... OHB state 140kg!!! Ouch!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts