Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did discuss that with him some time ago when I was first searching for a solution, his aiming to unlock that functionality in his performance TCM tune which should be great if he can do that :)
I'm not sure if he will have the ability to have some control in the change of the TC's logic, such as turning it off an on easily or if the lockup logic change is applied to all D, S and M mode. or just one mode. It's always good to have some flexibility but I'm sure that's on his radar too.

I needed a working solution as soon as possible since I had a real dislike for the way the Touareg drives with the current TC logic especially for any city/local driving, it wasn't as enjoyable as it should be. No issues on the road trips and long distant drives though!
I actually find the rest of the transmission map perfectly fine the way it is now, in saying that we did not have the "fix" like you guys and gals did in the US.
I came from. Mk7 Golf R and while I wasn’t expecting the 180kw 7P to compare, I was impressed with the handling and power. But the power seemed ilusive sometimes, especially accelerating out of medium-low speed corners exactly as you described. I think the lack of interest or responses is more down to some folks just accepting things as they are and not having had better or different in the past to compare to or I’m my case miss.
I’ve been thinking about this issue for a while and recently had a remap hoping this would solve it in some way, like you I found it wanting.
you have articulated the issue perfectly.
Next question, can I get one of your units installed on my 2013 7P 180 😀?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whilst the engine remap certainly gave a boot load of more torque, it simply cannot stop what the TCM commanding lockup and the effects that has. Once locked and the rpm has dropped, it's just too bad for a few moments whilst waiting for the engine rpm to increase again where a reasonable amount of boost is made. The controller solves that part thankfully by keeping the engine rpm where it should be. Feels a lot more like a sling shot coming out of the corners now when you actually want and need to be accelerate. It also feels a lot less "rigid" and tight which is probably the best way to describe compared to having a locked TC at such low speeds and rpm.

Where are you located? I've ordered enough parts to make 5 kits to begin with but I wont have them ready for a few weeks yet. I've got some OEM canbus wire on the way and colour coded wire for the rest to make it visually easy to install the module. I'm working on some instructions with clear photo's too but its really not difficult to install this at all.
Thanks for your response, I’m in Gympie In Queensland, your kit sound like exactly what I’ve been needing, very keen 😀

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just added a paddle shift wheel to my 7P after following the guide here: T3 Steering wheel paddle shifters

Used OBDELEVEN retrofit app to do the coding. All went well after a little extra time to release the airbag.
All works great.
Something odd though is the auto gear changes are much better, more aggressive and responsive without being edgy. Don’t know if the coding reset the gear shift learning or what but it’s great. It seems like the tourque converter unlocks now when in third and you floor it putting you in boost where as before it would just lug its way there.
Anyway thought I’d post for you guys incase any of that was of interest 😀

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ni

Nice work mate!
My wolfsburg has the paddle shifters, they are nice feature making it quick and easy to flick it back a gear when you want/need, I bet you will be happy with them!

If you are noticing quite a change then I agree, it seems like a reset has occurred on the self learning adaptions somehow.

How much throttle do you need to apply before it's unlocking? Or is it only when you "floor it" , like you mentioned?

The TC controler has the benifit of applying or easing onto the converter stall as much as you desire. It makes it much more responsive and linear down low & mid range which is what I always wanted to address 🙂
How much throttle to unlock, not sure exactly just feels like a lot less. Maybe half throttle now?
Still keen for a controller when you have built them, I think it will be the cherry in the top.
I haven’t used sport since I did the paddle shift change though so that speaks volumes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts