Club Touareg Forum banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got one for sale in the classified section, includes the Touareg harness, matching subwoofer, and remote. Just dropped the price to $700.

Apologies if it was not appropriate to promote this in the current thread.
Sounds like a good offer indeed but I was only intending buying one of these to fix an issue I had with the sound system in my Touareg. In the meantime I've managed to get it sorted out way cheaper. Thanks anyway. Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a good offer indeed but I was only intending buying one of these to fix an issue I had with the sound system in my Touareg. In the meantime I've managed to get it sorted out way cheaper. Thanks anyway. Cheers.
OK, Thanks.

For anyone else interested, I dropped the price of my old system to $650 in the classified section.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I posted this on the other thread about the Dynaudio upgrade / recoding on VCDS, but realized it probably belongs here.

I have the Match PP52 DSP installed into my RNS 850 system. Many thanks to those who have gone before to describe the benefits of this install. It is truly amazing, but it does require a little tweaking, even using the non-subwoofer custom profile for Touareg provided by Audiotec Fischer. I have tried doing custom profiles using the PC software, and even dabbled with the RT analyzer, but none of the results come close to the custom profile provided. However, you need to activate the -4db attenuation on the DSP unit, and adjust the treble and bass on the RNS 850 for each source. I personally got the best results for bluetooth and memory card audio using +11 or so with treble, and +7 to +8 with bass, and for the HD radio I settled on +11 treble and +9 bass. I'm really happy with the sound quality-- My family and I are in agreement that the sound quality is better than or equal to the Harmon Kardon system in our BMW 3 series. Great stereo imaging and very nice vocal midrange presence-- Can hear the air moving in vocals! Also I like the fact that I can retain the rest of the head unit functions and keep a stock appearance.

Just for kicks, I used VCDS to activate the Dynaudio profile in the Radio 56 module as described above. I hadn't tried this before installing the MATCH PP52 DSP. The bass became overpowering, and the treble was accentuated a lot too. It was like a loudness control on steroids. The combination of my DSP and the Dynaudio is no good, clearly, so I switched it back to the base audio setup upon which the MATCH profile is clearly designed. I am now wondering what the Dynaudio profile sounds like without the DSP. It's a big hassle and I have to go back in and open the panels that I just replaced after the DSP install. Can someone tell me if this could actually achieve audiophile quality results, or is it just a loudness switch for the base audio?

I am really curious about this now, as I seem to recall hearing somewhere that Dynaudio uses all of the same software and hardware as the base audio. Is there any chance that this is true, that it's just an MSRP $3000 upgrade for an altered boot graphic for the RNS850 and custom equalization presumably provided by Dynaudio engineers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Enabling Dynaudio in VCDS removed a lot of the high/low pass filters to the stock speakers, allowing for a wider ranger of sound. It seems like you amped up the bass and treble way too much for that setting to be enabled.

With relative certainty, the Dynaudio upgrade includes higher end speakers and a higher end amplifier. Since you already installed a higher end amplifier, you just need speakers. There are a ton of aftermarket options out there, but Helix Match plug and play kits can be found on eBay (Ms62c-vw) for like $130 for a pair.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks redwood, this is very helpful.

Have you had any experience with the Helix Match plug and play speaker replacement kits? I am wondering if installing the plug and play kits would require using yet a different MATCH DSP profile to optimize the sound quality?

Also, I am wondering if I would happier with the Dynaudio activated without the DSP (they don't sound good together even with a flat EQ profile on the MATCH PP52 DSP) versus the base audio profile + DSP?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I posted this on the other thread about the Dynaudio upgrade / recoding on VCDS, but realized it probably belongs here.

I have the Match PP52 DSP installed into my RNS 850 system. Many thanks to those who have gone before to describe the benefits of this install. It is truly amazing, but it does require a little tweaking, even using the non-subwoofer custom profile for Touareg provided by Audiotec Fischer. I have tried doing custom profiles using the PC software, and even dabbled with the RT analyzer, but none of the results come close to the custom profile provided. However, you need to activate the -4db attenuation on the DSP unit, and adjust the treble and bass on the RNS 850 for each source. I personally got the best results for bluetooth and memory card audio using +11 or so with treble, and +7 to +8 with bass, and for the HD radio I settled on +11 treble and +9 bass. I'm really happy with the sound quality-- My family and I are in agreement that the sound quality is better than or equal to the Harmon Kardon system in our BMW 3 series. Great stereo imaging and very nice vocal midrange presence-- Can hear the air moving in vocals! Also I like the fact that I can retain the rest of the head unit functions and keep a stock appearance.

Just for kicks, I used VCDS to activate the Dynaudio profile in the Radio 56 module as described above. I hadn't tried this before installing the MATCH PP52 DSP. The bass became overpowering, and the treble was accentuated a lot too. It was like a loudness control on steroids. The combination of my DSP and the Dynaudio is no good, clearly, so I switched it back to the base audio setup upon which the MATCH profile is clearly designed. I am now wondering what the Dynaudio profile sounds like without the DSP. It's a big hassle and I have to go back in and open the panels that I just replaced after the DSP install. Can someone tell me if this could actually achieve audiophile quality results, or is it just a loudness switch for the base audio?

I am really curious about this now, as I seem to recall hearing somewhere that Dynaudio uses all of the same software and hardware as the base audio. Is there any chance that this is true, that it's just an MSRP $3000 upgrade for an altered boot graphic for the RNS850 and custom equalization presumably provided by Dynaudio engineers?

Tell me about this "Activate the -4db attenuation on the dsp" where is said feature?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been looking at Crutchfield. The PP52DSP doesn't exist. They have the PP62DSP and PP86DSP. They say that they are not compatible with the Touareg. They sell the adapter though. When you talk to them they are clueless.

Is the PP62DSP compatible with the Touareg? Do they say this because you have to install a power cable?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anyone on this thread know how to hook up a sub-woofer to RNS 850 with Dynaudio? I realize this thread is probably for non Dynaudio... just curious how others have picked up the digital output.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're probably better off upgrading the amplifier to something more substantial at the same time. The PP82DSP and siblings have RCA outputs for subs.
Anyone on this thread know how to hook up a sub-woofer to RNS 850 with Dynaudio? I realize this thread is probably for non Dynaudio... just curious how others have picked up the digital output.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Would I be able to replace the stock Dynaudio amp (7P6035466) with a PP82DSP and a stand alone sub amp?

If I replace the factory amp will the RNS850 complain or is it blind to the amp it is attached to?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't believe anyone in this thread has done it, but I am fairly certain that you won't have any issues. In fact you're at an advantage, as the head unit is already coded to send a wider sound stage to the amplifier. Anyone have a second opinion ?

How much power are you looking to run? I didn't have Dynaudio and went the cheap route, installed the low end PP50DSP and made a custom harness to my Alpine subwoofer amplifier, which is powered from the car battery. Theres not a ton of speaker power, but it added a nice bit of low end with the sub.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Honestly, I'm not looking for power per say. However when I bought my '13 (not long ago) it had MU 544 firmware which to me sounded good. There was a manual surround setting and manual bass and treble. Of course I wanted the new whiz bangs of newer firmware. One of the things that was removed was the surround slider to adjust the level of surround. It was replaced by Dynaudio Confidence which provides 4 presets and one manual mode. They sound decent, but I feel the bass is now lacking even on manual mode. A few songs are heavy in bass and I can hear the bass is there, its just not always there when it should be.

What I really want is a better EQ. VW doesn't provide any customization to the DSP. Even with Dynaudio all I get is a bass and treble setting. I'd love to get a 5 band (or more) EQ to fine tune what I like.

I thought about adding a sub first to see if I can fill in the low frequencies that appear to be missing. My preference would be to somehow use a digital signal perhaps via a toslink or similar to send the data to a sub amp with DSP and custom frequency settings. I would rather not tap into the speakers to get bass because I have this idea that I will only get one channel's bass.

The other problem is that I don't think I have any room where the stock amp is mounted as I have a factory towing package that uses one slot of the plastic rack to house the tow module. So the idea of completely replacing the stock amp is slightly appealing. But I'd prefer to keep each speaker set on it's own channel, so I may need all 8 channels (or more) just to run the Dynaudio speakers. I don't have a huge issue mounting a small narrow sub amp. I could fab a bracket to mount it next to the factory amp location. But I'm still trying to figure out what the best option is.....I sure would enjoy having a real EQ and total control of each channels tuning... but I also don't want to cripple the factory system or the RNS850 by removing the factory amp if it'll cause problems.... so the question is how to add a sub in the optimum way.... or to replace the amp and make it seamless. It's too bad I can't find the DSP setting files in the firmware and customize the settings manually...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I installed my PP62 DSP and did the RNS850 Ross-tech upgrade today. Some have said the Match Touareg DSP settings are a bit overpowering with Ross-tech upgrade.

I am running stock setting on the DSP right now and it sounds pretty damn good.

Does anybody have any DSP files they are happy with that has this setup with no sub that wants to share them?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
RossTech upgrade

I recently picked up a new 2016 Touareg TDI LUX, and was obviously disappointed with the sound system. I read through this thread a bit, decided to activate the Dynaudio setting and I have to say it made a SIGNIFICANT difference in the sound of the system. Bass and treble were a bit strong & had to be turned down. However for just changing the coding I am pretty pleased with the improvement. One of the most satisfying changes that came as a result is the fact that the volume control does not hit a wall @ 45% power.

Bottom line- if you haven't done anything to your vehicle yet, I'd suggesting first doign the RossTech mod - as it is free - and it may do just enough to satisfy you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just found out Pioneer TS-WH500A HVT subwoofer existed, 2.3" thick.

I also discovered there is about 2" of room between the bottom of the floor/seat pan and the under side of the rear center seat.

The one thing I'm not sure of is how to get RCA outs from the Dynasound. Has anyone found a decent way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

201 - 220 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
36 Participants
GregSkow
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing