Club Touareg Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

I took a long drive this weekend and encountered an issue with my DSP install. Wondering if anyone else experienced this?

I left the head unit in bluetooth source mode and didn't re-connect my phone upon returning to the vehicle. When switching back to a good source (like the radio), there was no output from the amp. I can recreate the problem by simply switching to bluetooth, waiting a couple minutes and then switching back to the radio.

The amp remains powered up with the Status LED correctly indicating the current profile, so its not a "turn-on" issue.

The amp refuses to work until I disconnect power or toggle the profile using the control button on the amp. It's as if the amp goes into an idle mode when there is no signal and is unable to reconnect once the audio signal is restored.

I sent an email to AudioTec yesterday but have yet to hear back from them.

Haven’t experienced anything like that. No issues with the function so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven’t experienced anything like that. No issues with the function so far
Thanks for the response.

Another way to replicate the problem is by pausing my iPod player (connected via USB). When I un-pause after about 4 minutes, there is no audio output even though the iPod is playing. The only way to fix it is to disconnect the DSP power.

I sent another email to Audiotec. Hopefully they'll reply. If not I may be returning the Amp to Crutchfield :frown2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not sure if this has been covered in this long thread but if you installed this solution this VAGCOM mod may be a benifit to you as it was to me.

It activates the dynaudio profile for non dynaudio sound systems.

1. Select the " 56 - Radio" unit.
2. Enter the section " 07 - Encoding " and press " Long encoding "
3. Byte 4 - replace the value 01 with the value 00
4. Save and exit

It essentially removes the "neutered" audio output that occurs when volume is increased on the 850. As always perform these tasks at YOUR own risk.

Day and Nite difference, base hits 10x harder but best of all as volume goes up the sound stage is unmodified. I will have to go back and retune the DSP now as all the levels are out of wack since the source is now unmodified by the 850.
I was happy with the install before. But thanks to this all I can say is wow. I actually had to turn the bass down. The sound is soooo much better. Even the service rep at VW asked me what I had done because he hated the sound in his.

Thanks for the headsup

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was happy with the install before. But thanks to this all I can say is wow. I actually had to turn the bass down. The sound is soooo much better. Even the service rep at VW asked me what I had done because he hated the sound in his.

Thanks for the headsup

Well, sounds like this’ll be the final part of my investment into this fix. The DSP does offer an improvement, but without a sub not enough. Defeating the stock EQ (which is why we have pursued adding these) sounds like the answer. This is a VAG COM fix right? Meaning I’ll need to acquire access.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, you need Vagcom for the mod. Either find someone local or see if the dealer might do it for you (They might look at you crazy though). Might be worth it for you to purchase the Vagcom for $199 as I am sure you will be able to use it for other things in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I plan to do the both the DSP and VAGCOM update. As it appears the DSP profile provided by the vendor is not suitable with the VAGCOM update, can anyone post their DSP profile they come up with after the VAGCOM update?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, you need Vagcom for the mod. Either find someone local or see if the dealer might do it for you (They might look at you crazy though). Might be worth it for you to purchase the Vagcom for $199 as I am sure you will be able to use it for other things in the future.

Thanks for the clarification, I’ve ordered a Vagcom. Do you know if this modification will work (improve the sound) without running a sub? Which DSP are you using? I feel like I’m close to what I’m expecting but haven’t reached it. I really don’t want to replace speakers or sacrifice cargo space for a sub. Not interested in that financial rabbit hole. Also don’t want parts of the audio system conflicting (multiple EQ’s). So I’ll dive into vagcom, hope I’m not biting off more than I can chew and see if that does what’s been reported here. It would be great if it does.

I have a friend who’s also purchased a “new” 16 TDI, same model. He plans to learn from my experience.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am running the Match 62DSP. I was going to do one of the Match Subs but had not ordered one yet. Glad I didn't as with the Vagcom mod there is no need for it. I had to turn the bass down to about 40% on the radio as it was just almost too much. I need to adjust the DSP as I am running the stock Touareg with no sub setup.

I think you will be fine with any of the Match DSP's. The stock speakers can handle the power thrown at them and do not sound all that awful. I have been asked by a couple other Touareg owners I know to help them with their setup after hearing mine. It is just so hard to believe that VW just had to add a little bit better amp and not put the horrible eq in and the sound would have been great from the factory. But I guess then they would not have been able to charge the stupid premium for the Dynaudio system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am running the Match 62DSP. I was going to do one of the Match Subs but had not ordered one yet. Glad I didn't as with the Vagcom mod there is no need for it. I had to turn the bass down to about 40% on the radio as it was just almost too much. I need to adjust the DSP as I am running the stock Touareg with no sub setup.

I think you will be fine with any of the Match DSP's. The stock speakers can handle the power thrown at them and do not sound all that awful. I have been asked by a couple other Touareg owners I know to help them with their setup after hearing mine. It is just so hard to believe that VW just had to add a little bit better amp and not put the horrible eq in and the sound would have been great from the factory. But I guess then they would not have been able to charge the stupid premium for the Dynaudio system.

That’s great to hear that I won’t need a sub. I have a 52, but there’s little functional difference. I’m looking forward to completing this once the vagcom arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well it turns out the advice here is solid. Once the suggested vagcom change is made, the bass becomes much stronger and the mid range clearer. I had to re run the RTA to account for the change. Resulted in subtle changes to the EQ to fit the car. I’m planning to reduce bass output further via the band pass filter this weekend. Very significant change and improvement over stock. It’s a shame it takes adding a dsp and adjusting the stock setting via vagcom to get there. But fortunately this forum exists with very helpful contributors to make it possible! Thank you to all who’ve helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I took a long drive this weekend and encountered an issue with my DSP install. Wondering if anyone else experienced this?

I left the head unit in bluetooth source mode and didn't re-connect my phone upon returning to the vehicle. When switching back to a good source (like the radio), there was no output from the amp. I can recreate the problem by simply switching to bluetooth, waiting a couple minutes and then switching back to the radio.

The amp remains powered up with the Status LED correctly indicating the current profile, so its not a "turn-on" issue.

The amp refuses to work until I disconnect power or toggle the profile using the control button on the amp. It's as if the amp goes into an idle mode when there is no signal and is unable to reconnect once the audio signal is restored.

I sent an email to AudioTec yesterday but have yet to hear back from them.
You have to go into the DSP settings and either slide the "Auto Off" timer to max time or just turn it off... I had the same issue with either having the Volume at Mute or the system just off in general. The DSP does not auto turn on after the auto off is tripped.

NOTE from the vendor....

Hello Nick,

please turn off the Power Save Mode in DCM menu. The problem is solved then.

Best regards

Gudrun Fischer

AUDIOTEC FISCHER GmbH
Hünegräben 26
D-57392 Schmallenberg

Tel.: 02972 9788 0
Fax: 02972 9788 88
mail: [email protected]

web: www.audiotec-fischer.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it turns out the advice here is solid. Once the suggested vagcom change is made, the bass becomes much stronger and the mid range clearer. I had to re run the RTA to account for the change. Resulted in subtle changes to the EQ to fit the car. I’m planning to reduce bass output further via the band pass filter this weekend. Very significant change and improvement over stock. It’s a shame it takes adding a dsp and adjusting the stock setting via vagcom to get there. But fortunately this forum exists with very helpful contributors to make it possible! Thank you to all who’ve helped.

When you say re-run the RTA are you using special equipment in addition to the DSP and its software?

·
Registered
43 Posts
After making the VAG COM adjustment, I used my calibration microphone with the RTA that’s part of the Audiotec Fischer software. It didn’t appear to make major changes from the prior setup. I did have to add a high pass filter to control the bass post adjustment. I’m very happy with the result now.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
To Those Looking For A Plug & Play Audio Upgrade (Base Audio Only)

Can anybody shoot me simple instructions on how to access the radio in the right rear area of the hatch? It’s been a while and I forgot.

Taking my DSP out so I can sell the car. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had my PP50DSP for a few months now and decided to experiment with the passive subwoofer output. Turns out the pinout matches the 8-pin molex Alpine amps use for a high level input. I'm on the no sub profile with the DynAudio VCDS modification done and it sounds spectacular.
@Suzuki16, if you still have the amp profiles available, will you please reupload them? The links have expired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anyone point me out to where to buy this Helix amp in Canada? Or US?
Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I've got one for sale in the classified section, includes the Touareg harness, matching subwoofer, and remote. Just dropped the price to $700.

Apologies if it was not appropriate to promote this in the current thread.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
36 Participants
GregSkow
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing