Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Treg is up to 240,000klms. Bought it about 4 years ago at 110,000 klms . I love the car and want to keep it for towing our caravan for the short to medium term.Just found centre bearing issue and need to replace the tailshaft. Been having on going issues with Intake manifold for 3 years and have spent $3500 on that and hope its resolved now. I could buy a TREG with less klms but expect I will encounter the normal issues.
I dont believe 240,000klms is excessive and dont want to spend around $35K AUD to upgrade only to find I'm not much better off. THe market value of my car seems to be very little, even more reason to keep it.
So to upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wich repair are you doing to the centre bearing? Avoid the dealer who will want to install a brand new shaft at huge cost. There are cheaper fixes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still waiting on their recommendation. Repair kit for the bearing was mentioned but I'm not sure about that as I know the shaft needs to be properly balanced after. A different dealer has recommended a new shaft as its a better fix and because of the age of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
The shaft does not have to be completely balanced after the job, IF the tech has re-installed it in exactly the same position/setting as when it came out. The dealer will want to 'split' the tail-shaft to do this job as that is what VW wants them to do according to the book. It's not necessary.

I had our bearing replaced on our (now gone) T2. I ordered the bearing from https://www.vertexauto.com/ A brilliant company, very customer service focused and delivered the part to Perth WA in less than 5 days. I did have to get up at 3am Perth time to actually call them as I couldn't complete the order online successfully. The guy on the phone was brilliant and even gave me a discount because I actually rang him.

The T2 (7L) that the bearing was installed to performed without any issues (towed a 3T caravan for a half lap of Oz and many other trips), the cost to install the part was negligible and the overall cost of purchase/freight of the part was very reasonable. It's a few years ago now and I can't find the details, but if I had to do it again, I'd be going back to the same guys.

Have a read of this thread (and there are others) for more details.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/center-propshaft-carrier-bearing.21876/page-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply. The bearing and CV joint are different issues though, arent they. What if the CV joint is shot as well?.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
this is what I am referring to, and is what we replaced.

A better video... from Vertex themselves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the mechanic has suggested a kit to repair the centre bearing at a cost of $980 installed. He would pull the shaft apart grease the cv joint and put the new bearing kit in.
I'm going to talk to them about your solution Steve_L. What was the cost of your bearing?? Can I ask?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
The bearing itself (incl postage) was about $aud650 if I recall correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts