Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an expert on mechanics, but I can learn. My quandary is this. My 04 T-Reg is at 90k and seems to be one thing going wrong after another. Is it worth fixing or is it better to trade it in. I do love looking at it and driving it for sure, but my local vw dealer is charging me from 500-1500 for new headlights alone. I am not rich. Can I count on this thing to run awhile? People seem to say VW's don't last which is why the resale value is horrific. Also it just started pulling to the right real bad when I apply the brakes. Replacing items on this car seem to be hard to find. Is there a particular store online? I ordered new bulbs and the entire headlight assembly for my headlights and couldn't get them to work. Came off of ebay. Anyways thanks for reading and am glad to have any input whatsoever. I really do love the way the car drives and looks. Gas mileage is horrible and just not sure I can keep sinking money into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get out, ASAP.

Do you have good credit?, take out a loan on a new, reliable cheap car/Toyota Corolla/Hyundai, pay the $99-$150 a month and get where you need to get for a long-long time.
Unfortunately I do not possess good credit any longer. I am in repair mode due to a lost job. I can get a loan, but with really high interest.:???:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Keep for now. But be aware of timing belt coming up.

My advice is to find a good VW independent shop to do work. I have done things like brakes, headlights, center main bearing, dash blower, and oil changes and it really is pretty comparable to other makes for parts when you buy original parts, but for wholesale prices. Look for a good parts store (mine is a brick and mortar joint by the name Discount Import Parts). My brakes cost me just over $300 (front or rear) for parts only (OEM), and my HID headlights cost just under $100 (both sides and also OEM). Also, I VW indy shop down the road from my house does oil changes for just over the price of parts and synthetic for me (because they get a larger discount than I do).

Run the math using reasonable expectations for maintenance (not dealer prices). It will always be more economical to keep and maintain than put out 30-60k for a new car. Used is closer, but remember used has needs too. The devil you know is always better than the one you don't.

Lastly, the 4,2 V8 is a dinosaur motor that has been around the block a few times. Keep your timing belt, fluids, and maintenance fresh and it will run a long time.

Also fuel is dirt cheap now. Even when I was paying $100 every other week to fill my tank, it wasn't as if I had a car loan to pay every month for five or seven years.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sell !!

Get out while you can.

Touaregs can be nightmares if they all go wrong. I to am in repair mode so i know what you are going through. Concentrate on getting your life back in balance and when the time is right getter a newer and hopefully more reliable treg.

To try and bring an old V8 back to good right now while not employed is not good unless you can put into storage and fix when the cash comes in again. ... but why would you bother.

Best of luck !!!!

Reactions: jjreed8179

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Sell !!

Get out while you can.

Touaregs can be nightmares if they all go wrong. I to am in repair mode so i know what you are going through. Concentrate on getting your life back in balance and when the time is right getter a newer and hopefully more reliable treg.

To try and bring an old V8 back to good right now while not employed is not good unless you can put into storage and fix when the cash comes in again. ... but why would you bother.

Best of luck !!!!

As said before cut your loses get out ! SELL

Hey Odessa
Hope your issues are not too bad?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
not to high jack the thread from JJ - sorry JJ would love to hear your gripe to ..

My previous employer big 4 bank in Oz starting with "W" thought it was within their best interest to get rid of their best employee in a specific given field after blah blah blah successes etc etc and that brought them out of the dark ages with number 1 accolades in the industry.

It turns out the executive manager needed to make sure his bonus was still there for this Christmas. It also turns out that the gentleman below him (who has no idea and just jumped up positions his whole career) is one who can talk under water with a mouth full of marbles. He has found himself in quit a good position but no matter what i did over the last 5 years to increase my successfulness and therefore gain quality in my expertise this man just sat on his arse and continues to look big by going to meetings and talking non stop.

In other words pure bad luck in business life

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Taking a 10 year old car to a main dealer is not a good idea.

Find a good VW independent to look after you.

But, first, have the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and thermostat been changed? The is needed every 5 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. If the belt lets go, the engine is toast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Closest vw shop is in Houston which is about 90 miles away so not terribly bad. I'm waiting to hear back from a dealership on a mustang. If it doesn't work then my credit is just plain ugly right now and I'm stuck with the reg. I'll begin fixing it up because I won't have a choice. I do have a job it's just about 1/3 of what I used to make. I was planning on putting 5k as a down payment, so maybe I can keep my reg going good with that. I do have an extended powertrain warranty that's up in March. Anyone know of a good extended warranty? Mine was only good with the purchase. Sorry to hear about that Odessa I actually went through something similar. Lots of greedy lazy people in positions they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from a dealership on a mustang. If it doesn't work then my credit is just plain ugly right now and I'm stuck with the reg. I'll begin fixing it up because I won't have a choice. I do have a job it's just about 1/3 of what I used to make. I was planning on putting 5k as a down payment...
Respectfully...if your credit is "just plain ugly" then perhaps you should reconsider your current automotive needs.

When I was in a similar situation almost 15 years ago, I went from a year old Range Rover to a six year old Audi wagon. (I could have gone further, but I had an ego at the time...and I'm still paying down the debt that resulted).

Sell the Touareg. Take half the cash and stick it in the bank.

Take the other half and buy a Camry or Honda for cash. No loan.

People will not think less of you if you are not driving a flashy car. They're more worried about what you're thinking of them.

Focus on rebuilding your career and financial stability. Being able to go to sleep at night, without tossing and turning, is better than having a car that growls at stoplights.

Reactions: jjreed8179

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Respectfully...if your credit is "just plain ugly" then perhaps you should reconsider your current automotive needs.

When I was in a similar situation almost 15 years ago, I went from a year old Range Rover to a six year old Audi wagon. (I could have gone further, but I had an ego at the time...and I'm still paying down the debt that resulted).

Sell the Touareg. Take half the cash and stick it in the bank.

Take the other half and buy a Camry or Honda for cash. No loan.

People will not think less of you if you are not driving a flashy car. They're more worried about what you're thinking of them.

Focus on rebuilding your career and financial stability. Being able to go to sleep at night, without tossing and turning, is better than having a car that growls at stoplights.

To make matters worse I have a loan on the Toureg. I bought it to try and help rebuild my credit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What Iml999 said is very wise and a tough pill to swallow too.

But if you are trying to rebuild credit making a monthly payment on time month after month will help...might be your only choice if you are in a tight equity situation... that said I would look carefully at other things too. Like...don't buy groceries with a credit card (yes they see this shows red flags for liquidity issues), don't use more than 30% or so of your maximum credit card available, don't have crazy high availability that you don't ever use (you should be able to use 75% or so of max and pay it down or off, this might mean not allowing them to increase your cars whenever they feel like), don't have a card and never use it, don't take out any retail cards (dings you each time), don't apply for new loans (runs your report and dings you), get your free credit report and look for errors or fraud, or tickets you forgot about, don't hop banks... rebuilding takes time and disciple. But it will get better.

Don't go to the dealer for anything $$$. Don't do anything unless you research it first and find out what you can so you are informed. Get to know a good independent mechanic. Be ahead of potential issues and maintenance as it will save you money. If you are a do it yourselfer and have a head for mechanics get a Bentley manual and do yourself what you can. For now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you have time and want to learn about fixing cars, keep it and start doing everything you can yourself.
In the mean time, but a $2000 Saturn Honda, or Toyota that has not been overly abused.
Nothing a boy-racer ever touched or would want to touch. (Think old ladies car)
Then find a local VW/Audi shop would is willing to do what you can't at a reasonable price without redoing what you are doing yourself.
Get the T to sellable, and sell. You can buy one back when you get your job and credit sorted out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.