Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Vw touareg 2008 v8. Actual tire size for vehicle is 275/45/r19.
Is it ok to install 275/45/r20 tires instead.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Negative.... it will result in a 1/2" larger outside radial dimension all around (1" taller overall).... you will rub stuff at full lock.... not to mention speedo\milage errors, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am assuming you will be changing the actual wheel size?

All tire sizes are nominal but the average 275/45/20 runs out at around 29.7 inches which will fit given that 31.5 inches is generally regarded as the maximum OD a Generation 1 and 2 Touareg will take without rubbing.

Check the actual OD of any specific tire before making your final choice on somewhere like Tirerack which has good data.

Your speedo will probably be more accurate as when on standard OEM kit ( standard OD in every Touareg wheel size - 17/18/19/20/21 - is 29 inches give or take a fraction) they over-read actual speed but you can check this against any GPS device on a level road.

There are lots if examples of people changing tire and wheel sizes on here so do spend a bit of time looking at other threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a Vw touareg 2008 v8. Actual tire size for vehicle is 275/45/r19.
Is it ok to install 275/45/r20 tires instead.
Negative.... it will result in a 1/2" larger outside radial dimension all around (1" taller overall).... you will rub stuff at full lock.... not to mention speedo\milage errors, etc.
Thank you . I really appreciate the advice and honesty.
I am assuming you will be changing the actual wheel size?

All tire sizes are nominal but the average 275/45/20 runs out at around 29.7 inches which will fit given that 31.5 inches is generally regarded as the maximum OD a Generation 1 and 2 Touareg will take without rubbing.

Check the actual OD of any specific tire before making your final choice on somewhere like Tirerack which has good data.

Your speedo will probably be more accurate as they over-read actual speed but you can check this against any GPS device on a level road.

There are lots if examples of people changing tire and wheel sizes on here so do spend a bit of time looking at other threads.
Definitely going with actual size. I just figure I ask . Was trying to save a couple of bucks siince for some reason the 275/45/r20 sells for cheaper than the actual tire size which ia 275/45/r19. Yup so 275/45/r19 it is

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well unless you are changing the wheels themselves the 275/45/20s would be a bit loose on your 19 inch rims!!!

As others have found before, 19 inch tires are more expensive and there is a poorer choice than 20s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run 295/45/20 on 20x10 wheels in the summer and no rubbing at all. On my 2012 V6 I had H&R springs so it sits lower. I had move those wheels over to my stock height 2016 TDI i just picked up and zero rubbing as well. Also ran those 295s on my 2005 V8 with air (also lowered via vcds) and zero rubbing there as well. Thouhg it sounds like you have already decided to stick with the 19inch size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts