Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I took my toureg in when the tires started heavy feathering on the outsides of the front tires. They told me i drove the car to hard.

I have new tires and have 6 k miles and they are feathering again.

Any idea why. I did have an alignment they said it was all set.

t

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think they lied to you about the feathering and I don't think they were correct on the alignment.

I have never heard of feathering or cupping being caused by driving too hard. It will just wear your tires out more quickly.

An alignment that is out of whack can cause feathering. Other causes would be worn ball joints, worn dampers, or possibly worn suspension bushings. I'd get a second opinion. It would be interesting to know who the "theys" are who told you that you are driving too hard and who told you the alignment was correct.

I've had alignments come back where the shop tells me that they aligned the car but when I look at the alignment print-out specs I find that they are not within tolerance. Only then does the shop say that it was as good as they could get it and that something must be bent/worn. I recently replaced the entire rear axle beam on my Jetta due to cupping on the rear tires after the alignment shop did exactly what I described. I'm guessing they though I wouldn't have the appetite to properly correct the problem. Really good shops will walk through all alignment final measurements with you before you walk out the door.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi I took my toureg in when the tires started heavy feathering on the outsides of the front tires. They told me i drove the car to hard.

I have new tires and have 6 k miles and they are feathering again.

Any idea why. I did have an alignment they said it was all set.

t
Touraregs normally wear their tires pretty evenly.

They must always have 4 IDENTICAL tires - same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern, and same tread depth to with 2mm or 2 32ths.

Some people complain they go through a set in 15,000 miles, others get 40K, but people rarely say how they drive , what roads they use, how fast thry go, whether they drive like thry stole it, or at what tread depth they bin their tires.

Perhaps you do drive like a lunatic on twisty roads or wind the power steering a lot when parking the car in tight spaces - that one scrubs the fronts!

So as above, go to a good tire shop, get a full 4 wheel laser alignment done and watch it being done.

There should be a screen that you can see which will show your vehicle details plus all the greens (good) and reds (bad)on each corner of the car.

Stay and watch the adjustments go to green.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 brand new tires had to get new ones after the VW dealer " aligned it" in the fall. Put snows on the car..recently took off snows walked by the front and noticed the feathering..

ill have to check the specs they had a tough time aligning the car. It was in certified warrantee now its not.. i am assuming if its from something you mentioned.

1000 in tires and they are going to crap

thanks ill update when i do some digging but your info helped

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had put right around 50,000 miles on my 2012 with 20" Goodyear LS2's, a set of Continental DSW's and then Pirelli Verde Plus', no rotations, no alignments all wore perfectly evenly.

Same with my 2016 Cayenne Diesel that has the 20" Verde Plus' on them, no rotations, no alignment, perfectly even wear.

Same with my wifes 2015 on the LS2's and now the Verde Plus' with some 36,000 miles on them, no rotations, no alignments, totally even wear on all four tires.

Something is up with your alignment for sure.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Are they feathering or are they torque cracking? My OEM Goodyears did this fairly bad. Ive since installed some Michellin's and the torque cracking isn't really there. This is due to full time AWD.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are they feathering or are they torque cracking? My OEM Goodyears did this fairly bad. Ive since installed some Michellin's and the torque cracking isn't really there. This is due to full time AWD.
I am interested in the "torque cracking" effect. All four of my OEM Goodyears have a line about 3 inches in from the inside edge and the tyre is disintegrating around this line. Edge tyre showing the same effect.
The tyres are about half worn at this stage tread wise as I use them only in summer. They are however old - the car is a 2013 model and I will have to dump them - so not happy with Goodyear.

I thought this "line" that is appearing is an anti-static strip and that this is the root cause i.e. a different rubber compound that is now separating.

Is this similar to what you found?

Apologies to the OP - hijacking the thread - I will start another thread on this issue I have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an issue I had on my V10. I went through several sets of tires before I found the answer. I had the tires Road Force balanced to a number as close to 10 as possible. They ranged from 9 to 12. This solved the problem for me. Maybe it will help you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts